starter

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
kingold
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A

starter

Post by kingold »

Hi All,
I have had a '94 GL1500A, for a couple of trouble free years. last week as I was parking, I put the stand down and the starter motor began to run. it did not engage but continued to run with the kill switch off and key out. I stalled it out by briefly engaging the reverse and it stopped. as I had washed it earlier in the day I thought something got wet and would hopefully dry out. a couple of days later, I rode it for a couple of hours making several stops, no problem until I got home to pick up my wife (its her bike, I'm just the driver) and it happened again. this time I disconnected the battery. I tapped on the solenoid, checked continuity between the power and starter wires (none) but as soon as I touched the wire to the battery, off it goes. I had my son sit on it and put the kick stand up, and everything was back to normal. rode it around some more, careful to use the kill switch, not the kick stand, no problem until I put it in the garage, off it went again.
its still sitting there with the battery disconnected. so here are some questions, hopefully someone has some answers and maybe better questions.
1) I have always parked the bike with it in 1st and killed it with the kickstand. It will start like that as long as I put the stand up and engage the clutch. I don't know if either of those are normal or proper.

2) i had no continuity between the posts on the solenoid with no power, but as soon as i touched the wire the battery the starter began to run, if the solenoid switch is stuck, that makes no sense

3) if it's not the solenoid, could it be as simple as a weak battery?

4) if it is the solenoid, this one is hard wired, so you just cut and splice? or do you have to re wire the whole thing?

5) the kick stand seams strangely (to me anyway) involved. i can't think of how that would be, but i'm a novice with these machines

I hope someone out there has some ideas and thanks for any input. the best part of this new experience has been the instant welcoming into the "club" the minute you get on a bike and ride down the road. so thanks for that and have a great ride

dave

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Re: starter

Post by hugger-4641 »

There are two solenoids for the starter, one is easily visible beside the battery, but neither is "hard wired", you should be able to remove the rubber cover and see the terminals.
My first thought would be a relay sticking, keeping positive 12v to the solenoid, but not getting the ground (12v neg-) until the kickstand switch is activated.

kingold
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A

Post by kingold »

hi hugger,
thanks for your help
i didn't make that clear, both the main wires (power in/power out) are removeable. but the small wires from the start button and where ever else are epoxied in on the body of the solenoid and run up into the frame to go wherever.
those are the ones i was referring to. your thought makes some sense to my poor dumb carpenter brain. so the kill switch on the kickstand is a simple ground switch much like you used to find on a basic 4 stroke? and it's providing the ground to complete the circuit to the starter that's getting a constant hot feed from a stuck relay. any ideas where this relay might be?

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Post by hugger-4641 »

All the relays are beside the fuse box, behind the side cover on left side of bike. If you remove the top and bottom mounting bolt for the fuse box, and also remove the seat, there is just enough room to pull the box out to access the relays. All the relays are the same, so I would try switching the horn or headlight relay with the starter and see if your problem goes away.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

That is kind of a weird problem. It sounds like maybe your starter button is stuck. There is a 5 amp fuse in a rubber boot to the left side of the battery. It will have a red and yellow/red wire going to it. Pull that fuse then reconnect the battery cable and see if it still runs the starter. If not, then reconnect the fuse to see if the problem still exists and the starter runs. If the trouble is still there then remove the fuse and we can try some other tests to find out what is going on.