If I remove the exhaust, can I reuse gaskets?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

If I remove the exhaust, can I reuse gaskets?

Post by JohnUSA »

I'm preparing to change the shift shaft oil seal. I've read the tutorial several times, and it all looks "do-able". I even have the correct swivel socket in my toolbox to remove the internal shift leg.

On the off chance it turns out to be less "do-able" than expected, and I have to drop the exhaust, does it require new gaskets, or can they be re-used?

Thanks,
John

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Re: If I remove the exhaust, can I reuse gaskets?

Post by Happytrails »

So are your talking about the header? If so your gonna want to replace with new copper donuts. They really get crushed during installation and its not recommended to try and reuse the old ones. Good luck with the project. :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

I replaced the seal recently, you don't need to remove the exhaust pipe.
But if you remove it, I recommend you replace the copper gaskets not to have further issues.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Hi John.

Yes, if you remove anything that uses gaskets, especially exhaust system components, you will need to replace the associated gaskets.

BUT... you should not have to remove any exhaust components to install that shift shaft oil seal.
The seal removal and replacement is relatively easy. The tricky part is usually just getting the shift lever off the shaft.
I have done mine a couple of times and at first, it appeared that the lever was not going to come off without lifting the engine away from the frame.

After several attempts at lever removal and contemplation on unbolting the engine from the frame, the lever just kind of came off. There is a position you need to get the lever into to remove it, I just can't explain what it is. You will just have to manipulate it until you find the sweet spot.

By the way, I'm in Tacoma too.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

JohnUSA

Post by JohnUSA »

Yeah, I think almost all the posts regarding a change out end in success. I'm just thinking about a plan "b", you know, hope for the best, plan for the worst. If I have to drop the header, I'll make sure and get new copper donuts.

Yeah, Mike...I thought I saw, at one time, you were in Puyallup? That's where I actually am. Nobody can pronounce it, so I say Tacoma...ha ha .

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

JohnUSA wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:34 pm
Yeah, I think almost all the posts regarding a change out end in success. I'm just thinking about a plan "b", you know, hope for the best, plan for the worst. If I have to drop the header, I'll make sure and get new copper donuts.

Yeah, Mike...I thought I saw, at one time, you were in Puyallup? That's where I actually am. Nobody can pronounce it, so I say Tacoma...ha ha .
If you have to drop the header I'd be more worried about the header bolts than gaskets.

Nope, Tacoma bordering on Spanaway.
MikeB
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

There's a How-To Article on how to remove a blocked shifter arm with removing the exhaust. That happened to me also.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Not that one needs to drop exhaust for shifter brace
… just a note to say I have reused copper O rings after heating cherry red over propane torch and dropping in water. Softens the copper. Works for sealing washers too.

The gaskets that likely will never be of further use are the sleeve like gaskets at pipe joints. They break easy. I do have a old wrench type pipe expander I open ends up just a hair to make round again with. It helps, even with new sleeve gaskets. So far, knock on wood, every time that I have dropped a header on one of my GLs, header studs did OK, even when stud came out with nut.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

JohnUSA

Post by JohnUSA »

Ok...that was wickedly easy. I had my plastics and shifter off waiting for the seal to arrive.

It took about fifteen minutes to get to remove the inner shaft, remove the seal, clean up the seal recess, install new seal, clean the grime off the inner shaft, and put the shaft back on. I guess I was one of the lucky ones, didn't have any frame interference to wrestle with.

Now, having a celebration beer, and then installing the shifter pivot support.

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Good job, John. Told you it was easy.

MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA