Start a stripped GL

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Eckhard
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Start a stripped GL

Post by Eckhard »

I am in the process of exposing the carbs to hunt down a fuel leak when the bike runs. I am trying to pin point the source of the leak and not change everything in sight and hope for the best. Will I be able to start the bike when I have removed the filter box and I can actually see the carbs and hopefully the source of the leak? :?:

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: Start a stripped GL

Post by bellboy40 »

You should be able to start the bike with the air cleaner assembly removed. It will be noisier because of the hoses disconnected but it will run and you might be able to see where it is leaking. There is not much room to see very well even with the air cleaner removed. A good bet would be the float bowl gaskets are leaking. That is what was causing mine to leak.

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik »

Another place to look is the fuel line where it connects to the carbs. Mine had old lines. Got loose right at the very connection end. Almost impossible to tighten any clamps without taking off the carbs. In fact any leak will probably call for the carbs to be removed.

Eckhard
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE

Post by Eckhard »

Got it to the point where I could see the carbs throats and one is dirty and black and the other is pristine. It seems to be spitting back into the airbox. The air cleaner box on that side has shellac in it. Looks like I need to strip the carb and check why this is.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Look for vacuum leaks. Broken or cracked hoses, etc.