Enlarging Speaker Holes in Dash

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Enlarging Speaker Holes in Dash

Post by tsandvik »

Keep reading of members who have enlarged the diameter of the speaker holes in the dash. I am trying to cut out enough to fit in a couple of 5 1/4 speakers.

What in the heck do you use to get a clean cut in the plastic? I have tried using in my Dremel a cutting bit for steel and ceramics, a cut off wheel and a barrel sander. The cutters give a very erratic and nasty cut. The sander clogs up pretty quickly.

There has to be a trick or secret hand shake. Anyone one to throw in their solutions to this on their project?

Help.

tnt9339
Motorcycle: 2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
1990 GL 1500A Aspencade

Previously owned;
1978 CB550/4
1976 GL1000
1983 VT500 Shadow
1983 GL650 Interstate
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Aspencade
2001 GL1800

Re: Enlarging Speaker Holes in Dash

Post by tnt9339 »

You will find the sanding drum will perform better and not clog if you run your Dremel at it's lowest speed.

Tony

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

I am interested in the follow-up with this, for a slightly different reason. I am going to be installing my voltmeter/usb socket into the hole where the foot warmer control would be on an SE bike. Mine has just a rubber plug there. The hole though is square so I will be needing to enlarge it and make it round. I was going to try a roto zip type cutter in my dremel, maybe thats not the best way to go though...
Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik »

bigsteveswing

I have tried 3 different rotor type bits to cut thru this plastic....no luck with any. They are impossible to control at any speed and the cuts are ragged and all over the place. For smaller round cuts I have used a hole saw that fits into a drill. If you have an existing opening, by starting very slowly a start line can be formed and a nice cut can be made thru this hard to work with plastic.

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing »

I had thought of using a hole saw, wasn't sure if I could start it with no pilot hole, this makes me a little more confident. Thanx.
Big Steve
Keep America Strong: Weld It
8-)

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

For those who have a compressor, the ideal tool is an air die-grinder (a super cheap, small one from Harbor Freight will do the job nicely) & "rotary file" bits will do an extremely fast, clean job of it. That's all I use these days.

Anything that "sands" the ABS plastic will cause it to get very hot & subsequently melt, making the remaining edges rough, brittle, and fragile. The rotary file bits stay cool, and cut clean. Even if you get the tiny ones, suitable for a Dremel, they'll work....just not as well as the 1/4" shank ones for a die grinder, as the larger diameter of those stays much cooler.

After cutting with these, the ABS cut edges remain flexible & resilient, as they must if future cracking is to be avoided.

To give an idea on pricing, I offer this: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quart ... 92144.html and this: https://www.amazon.com/Double-Titanium- ... ial&sr=1-2

I know, it's a poor workman who blames his tools, but there's nothing beats having the proper tool for the job if a truly excellent result is desired.