Sort of Out of my Comfort Zone

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Sort of Out of my Comfort Zone

Post by minimac »

On the way home (slow, easy riding) from dinner last night w/Mrs Mini, all of a sudden I started to hear what sounded like lifter noise. I pulled over, made sure the oil level was good and continued slowly to ride the final five miles home. The noise didn't get worse or louder and I was able to determine it was coming from the left(as I sit on the bike) valve cover. I pulled the valve cover and couldn't find any evidence of anything amiss. I finally saw that two of the three exhaust eccentric spindles (part of rocker shaft) stayed stationary when running. Is that normal? Everything else is working as it should, and the bike runs fine, except for the clattering lifter noise. I changed the oil and filter and there wasn't any metal other than a very few barely visible tiny specks, which seems to be nothing out of the ordinary. I pulled the lifters-one at a time-and they aren't dry or plugged, and everything seemed to be well lubricated. This is on my '93 Aspencade that just turned 66K miles. I'm at a loss, and any suggestions and /or help is appreciated.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Sort of Out of my Comfort Zone

Post by CrystalPistol »

What oil do you use?
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

minimac
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing

Post by minimac »

Shell Rotella T-6 for the last five or six years. Royal Purple or Mobil1 before that.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Did some looking for what you meant by:
" I finally saw that two of the three exhaust eccentric spindles (part of rocker shaft) stayed stationary when running. Is that normal?"

My thought is all three should be behaving the same. It's a "new" issue to me so I looked further.
https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/1 ... 500-a.html
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

minimac
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing

Post by minimac »

I pulled the camshaft assembly cover. Every thing looked fine, oil all over-no plugged passages, and everything moved like it should. Before I pull the rocker arm shafts out to check the needle bearings, I'll try to refill the hydraulic lifters and make sure to get all of the air out, per the service manual. By not finding anything out of whack, I'm thinking that it may have been a collapsed lifter or two. The manual states that excessive air in the lifter could cause the noise. Like the OP in the link provided, my bike has seen very little use this year, but there was no noise on start up or running. We went in, had a nice dinner, came out and after about a slow ten minute ride, the noise started.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

minimac wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:17 pm
On the way home (slow, easy riding) from dinner last night w/Mrs Mini, all of a sudden I started to hear what sounded like lifter noise. I pulled over, made sure the oil level was good and continued slowly to ride the final five miles home. The noise didn't get worse or louder and I was able to determine it was coming from the left(as I sit on the bike) valve cover. I pulled the valve cover and couldn't find any evidence of anything amiss. I finally saw that two of the three exhaust eccentric spindles (part of rocker shaft) stayed stationary when running. Is that normal? Everything else is working as it should, and the bike runs fine, except for the clattering lifter noise.
Take a piece of rubber heater hose and use it one end to ear and other to where the rocker contacts the valve stems for that side when running. I am sure that those two lash eccentrics which do not move will be on the valves making the clatter. A collapsed lash adjuster would cause that and if mine would replace them after checking for oil in adjuster well while cranking engine over.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I once experienced clicking lifters on a hot and fast run through the hot sand dunes of I-8 west of Yuma, AZ.

the oil pressure light came on, I just slowed down from 85+ to about 40 and rode on into Yuma, matter of probably 20 minutes. the oil light kept flickering, so I knew that it had some oil flowing.

stopped at the Denny's Restaurant and called a friend to come visit with me.
2 hours later, started the bike up and rode on home to Mesa, AZ which was another couple of hours in the same heat, but the oil light stayed off, and I kept my speed down to a saner 70 mph.

when I got home, I drained the oil.... it was the 'C' brand motorcycle oil, don't remember what weight.

I bought some Delo 400 15w40 and never had anymore problems. that was in my '94SE.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

minimac
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing

Post by minimac »

I pulled the the two offending lifters(hydraulic adjusters) and filled them with oil. I bled what seemed like a lot of air out of them, reinstalled them , and after torquing everything, down ran it. No change and the two eccentrics didn't move. The other one seemed to work as it should. I'm thinking that whatever is inside the lifters is shot, causing the two to be collapsed. This is on the exhaust. The rockers for the valves all work as they should but the eccentrics don't. I checked the 'bottom' of the offenders and they aren't dished and show no evidence of any wear, as did all of the others. It just seems strange that the two would pick the same time to fail.