Rear Rotor different, miss matched parts

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
1989 GL1500 parts bike
1984 GL1200 Aspencade FOR SALE

Rear Rotor different, miss matched parts

Post by oldmopars »

I had to pull the rear tire to replace it and I wanted to look at the rear brakes. I had noticed that the brake pads were not wearing correctly due to them not sitting on the rotor in the right spot. After much comparing of parts I found out that the rear rotors changed after 89 to a larger size. Someone worked on my bike prior had installed a 88-89 rotor on my 96. So, this means that the pads are sitting about 1/4in off the rotor. As they wear there is a 1/4in part of the pad that does not wear and it was almost to the point that the 2 pads would touch and then I would loose the rear brakes because the pads are just hitting each other.
It seems the early rotor is 296mm and the late is 316, 20mm difference. This in turn means that the caliper bracket is 10mm longer. I need to get a new rotor, but I leave on Saturday for a long trip and can't get one here in time. So, I am putting it together with all the parts from my 89 parts bike. It will be fine, and just as safe as any 88-89 GL1500. I am not towing a trailer or riding 2 up, just me and maybe 75lbs of gear. I will order the 90-2000 rotor and install it when I get back, I need the 89 rotor for my 84 1200 build, it is getting the parts from the 89.
However I wanted to post this for anyone looking at doing their brakes, make sure you pay attention if you order a new rotor, or if your rear brakes don't feel right. Also check when you replace your tire. I am sure if it was done to my bike, it has happened to others.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Rear Rotor different, miss matched parts

Post by Rambozo »

Sounds like clueless owner maintenance. Can't imaging any sort of mechanic putting something like that, together. Real bozo move, there. Finding something like that would make me want to go over the whole bike with a fine tooth comb, looking for other ticking time bombs.

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik »

Rambozo....

Have to agree. It is frightning to see what PO's or so called mechanics who think they know what they are doing end up doing.

I am replacing the engine on my 90. Figured while doing that much I would strip it down to the frame and fix everything so I would have a bike to last me until my end of riding days. Am 67.

What I have been finding is hair raising. Like this bike, wrong calipers. "New tires" that were almost 11 years old. Bushings missing in the front brake mount points. Wheel bearings not mounted properly. Botched electrical hacks and the list goes on and on.

It is why I do not let anybody else even change the oil. My one concession is that I take the wheels over to a shop that will mount my new tires on. Even then I have to sit and watch them so the rotation is correct. I am getting to old to sit and muscle the tires on and off with the old set of spoons.

oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
1989 GL1500 parts bike
1984 GL1200 Aspencade FOR SALE

Post by oldmopars »

Well, so far, good or bad, I have had to take much of the bike apart and I have not found too much wrong. I have found some less than impressive wiring to the added side bags lights, but nothing scary. The tamp gauge also had some wires that were not done well, but it was only for the sensor, not power, so low voltage sensing only.
The brakes are the only things so far that have been a major screw up and a safety issue. All the other things have been minor and worst case would have resulted in a blown fuse to a minor circuit.
For a 23 year old bike, it has been maintained very well.
I was impressed, it had a hitch on it that I just pulled off, and the wiring for it must have been part of a "Kit" as it was a plug in style that went in-line with the stock wiring. All I had to do was unplug it. Most other mods on it have been the same kit type thing, with plug and play wiring.
I think the brakes were done by a "mechanic" that needs to find a new profession.