Hello fellow wingers

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
sarge1952
Motorcycle: 1992 GL 1500 aspencade

Hello fellow wingers

Post by sarge1952 »

Well I finally got all the pieces and parts to replace the heel toe floorboard crap and upon installing the new pivot brace it says to replace oil seal at shaft ? Well I have tried to figure out now for the entire day how to get to that tiny 6 mm bolt in a very tight space and not only get the old seal out but the new on installed ??? Other that turning the bike upside down I am scratching my head ? :?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Hello fellow wingers

Post by WingAdmin »

Did you have a look at this? How to install the GL1500 shifter brace

JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Post by JohnUSA »

I did this job recently. Got prematurely wrapped around the axle. When it was all said and done...was remarkably easy.

After the body panels and stuff were off, it took me about fifteen minutes to remove the inner shaft, remove the seal, put new seal in, and reinstall the inner shaft.

I used a 1/4" swivel adaptor, and an 8" extension. The swivel was too floppy, and I couldn't get the socket lined up right. So, I wrapped a piece of electrical tape around it, reduce it's desire to flop around.

When I tried to remove the inner linkage, it came about 99% off, but hit the frame. I just wiggled and rotated it just a bit, and it fell right out.

I have a very nice set of pics, and it was a bear to pierce the face of the seal. When I finally did, the seal rotated in the seat, that's how loose it was. So, I tried to pierce it and push it at same time, and it just sorta plopped out.

The hardest part of the job was to get the new seal seated. I think I used a 3/4" combination wrench, to help lever it in.

sarge1952
Motorcycle: 1992 GL 1500 aspencade

Post by sarge1952 »

Thanks for the reply
After much aggravation and fuming I just put it all together and will let the mech deal with it over the winter lol I wanna ride !!!! This experience has taught me 1 very important thing NEVER BUY A USED BIKE WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT !!! I bought this from a dealer who was just trying to get it out of their inventory, should have realized it had issues when it was there for over 5 months !!! Thanks for all your help and thoughts on this subject. I did get the pivot brace put in BTW and it sure makes a difference in how the bike shifts
Again thanks for the comments pic's and help