Ticking Noise in right side of engine

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
SIDECARRICH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE with CSC FSIII hack Riding on the Dbl Darkside and Lovin it!

Ticking Noise in right side of engine

Post by SIDECARRICH »

Good day, I have a strange problem with our 99SE 170k, last week while getting on the Expy she backfired, died and came right back up, I got off the next exit and it sounds like I have baseball cards in my spokes...I laid smoke to the exhaust manifold and no leaks, got another rocker arm/cam holder on eBay and when I started pulling the hydraulic valve adjusters (lifters) I found all 6 to have no play whatsoever,I cannot even compress with plyers, whereas the new ones are close to 0.30mm as the manual calls for..My question is what would have caused all of the 6 lifters to lock up? Maybe a blocked oil feed to the cam holder? This head was replaced two years ago and I was told it had 60k on it, off a 2000. And with the new to me lifters installed, I still sound like a Singer sewing machine. Prior to replacing the lifters, I ran MMO for 50 miles...no help. Plenty of power just super ticking..Thanks in advance for the help! I've tried to look up every feed on this subject but cannot find much, YouTube has a ticking engine but no solution is posted???

SIDECAR RICH

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Re: Ticking Noise in right side of engine

Post by minimac »

My ticking is on the left. I did the same,ran MMO and then later some Seafoam, before replacing the rockers,shaft and cover. I had found two lifters that wouldn't remain filled, and compressed a lot. After replacing these parts, it still sounds the same. Other than that darn rapping, the engine runs fines and pulls strong. I'm out of ideas and haven't been able to get much help.

SIDECARRICH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE with CSC FSIII hack Riding on the Dbl Darkside and Lovin it!

Post by SIDECARRICH »

Yes, I too am at a loss, I took it out last night for only about 20 miles and no change, I put working lifters (HVA) in, ran the MMO (the whole bottle) and plenty of power but still has baseball cards in the spokes (sorry for the tech term) The only thing I can try next is maybe removing them all, double-check the 0.30mm travel and maybe add or delete shims????? My problem is, in order to do that easy I have to remove the sidecar which is a PITA. Thanks for your info!

SIDECAR RICH

minimac
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing

Post by minimac »

Even after draining and refilling with heavier weight oil (from 5-30synth. to 10-40 dino), nothing has changed. All of the oil passages that were accessible, were clear and there was no evidence of any sludging anywhere. I guess my next step will be to try to hook up an oil pressure gauge to verify everything is copacetic. After that, I guess it's pull the head and look at the valves. I checked for broken valve springs and they seem fine as do the rockers.

SIDECARRICH

Post by SIDECARRICH »

I'm running the MMO now, I put the new HVA in (lifters) still ticking away...Thanks for the info!

SIDECAR RICH

minimac
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing

Post by minimac »

Did the MMO, did Seafoam, changed a couple of HVAs, and it's the same. I've got most of the front plastics off, so as a last resort, it's going to the dealer. Hopefully they aren't just parts changers on a fishing expedition and actually can fix it.

SIDECARRICH

Post by SIDECARRICH »

Thanks for update, no luck here either, did whole jar of MMO, but also haven't had time to run her, leaving tomorrow for a 100 mile ride to look at a 99SE with only 70k, mine has 170k we'll see what happens.

SIDECAR RICH

minimac
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing

Post by minimac »

After calling the closest(65 miles away)dealer, only to be told I should get rid of my bike-it's too old, I rethought what's happening, and came to the conclusion that it had to be the lifters (hydraulic valve adjusters).I pulled the three exhaust HVAs and after pumping out what I could of the air in them, let them sit totally submerged (standing up) in oil for four days before reinstalling them. It seemed to be a little quieter, but not much. I then repeated that with the three intake HVAs, letting them soak submerged while I was gone for a week. I reinstalled them, started the bike up and let it run at fast idle for a couple of minutes. I revved it a couple of times and the noise disappered! Between a good long soak of MMO and Seafoam, and making certain all of the air was out of the HVAs, it seems to be cured. It's been running great-and quiet- for over two weeks now.

SIDECARRICH

Post by SIDECARRICH »

Thank you, great trick, I changed the cam holder and HVA's, still ticking, thinking back to the day it started...right after it backfired...I blew a hole in the exhaust manifold. Put that one in the shed til next year and using my other 99.

SIDECAR RICH