Broken Trunk Lid restraint cables

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Broken Trunk Lid restraint cables

Post by agedbikeman »

When I got my wing 1 week ago I noticed both of the cables that stop the trunk lid falling backwards were broken, ther're still available on my side of the world at 8GBP each,so I set about making my own.
DSC02095.JPG I used some electrical wire and a piece of 6mm alloy tube, cut 4 pieces and drill a hole in each, open out the end clamps and discard the old cables, bare the electrial wire about 10mm each end and pass it through the hole in the piece of alloy tube[attachment=1]DSC02098.JPG

Fold the bared end of the wire in 3 and apply a huge blob of solder to stop it being pulled back through the hole

Fold the end clamps round the new ends and refit to trunk lid

Somehow managed to get the photos in reverse order,I'll get the hang of it one day
Attachments

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Broken Trunk Lid restraint cables

Post by NOVAwing »

agedbikeman wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 am
When I got my wing 1 week ago I noticed both of the cables that stop the trunk lid falling backwards were broken, ther're still available on my side of the world at 8GBP each,so I set about making my own.DSC02095.JPG
I used some electrical wire and a piece of 6mm alloy tube, cut 4 pieces and drill a hole in each, open out the end clamps and discard the old cables, bare the electrial wire about 10mm each end and pass it through the hole in the piece of alloy tube[attachment=1]DSC02098.JPG

Fold the bared end of the wire in 3 and apply a huge blob of solder to stop it being pulled back through the holeDSC02101.JPG

Fold the end clamps round the new ends and refit to trunk lid

Somehow managed to get the photos in reverse order,I'll get the hang of it one day
Nice work around you did there.

My used bike all were broke except 1.
So I bought them all from cyclemax.

If they ever go away and I have need again I will do as you did.
Nice work!
NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

But, the electrical wiring doesn't have the tensile strength as the original cables so, I think that they probably won't last very long. I would be more likely to get some steel cable of the same diameter as the originals and then try to do the same thing as you did here. Good luck!
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

The point is, at least for now they are working for now, I don't expect it to last forever, last time I bought steel cable it wouldn't solder, my next experiment will be to buy a bicycle cable with the same size nipples, cut and adapt it. I live in the north of France, things like that are as common as hens teeth, you have to take what you can get, and if you're not an engineer with a shed load of tools you just have to go without.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Charlie1Horse wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:52 pm
But, the electrical wiring doesn't have the tensile strength as the original cables so, I think that they probably won't last very long. I would be more likely to get some steel cable of the same diameter as the originals and then try to do the same thing as you did here. Good luck!
Russell

I was thinking the same thing - copper is VERY soft and stretchy, they won't last long.

I like the idea of adapting some bicycle cables. You could likely solder ends onto them just as if you were doing a throttle or clutch cable.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Nice idea about the bicycle cables. I hadn't thought of that yet. One end is fixed solid on the cable and the other is fixed with a set screw. Cut to length and add a piece of heat shrink tubing (for appearance) and it would look just like the original. Thanks for the idea.
Russell

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I saw a trunk damaged years ago when a fellow opened it and let go. It had a trunk rack and trunk bag on the rack with stuff in it. I sometimes carry rain gear up there, so it concerned me since those cables are so near the hinge axis. I made this strap from 1" wide nylon webb belt stuff, put on in the trike's trunk as well as my 1200's trunk. The stitches are easy. Never hindered my use of trunk either, and easily made adjustable.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

1goldwingnut
Motorcycle: 95 20th anniversary GL1500A

Post by 1goldwingnut »

GREAT. Now I have another project to start. I was good at simply soldering ends on cables too.