Starter Problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Starter Problem

Post by tsandvik »

Cannot get the starter to turn over. 1990 GL1500
This is a used one bought to replace the original. First question: When starter is out of the bike. Jumped to positive and grounded off its end frame. How fast should I expect this starter to spin. This test showed a rather slow turn speed.
When I installed it, being very careful to not bull it in place, all wiring was reconnected. Hit the starter switch and all I got was a clunk from the A Starter solenoid and nothing. Re-pushing the starter button did nothing but dim the indicator lights on the dash. If I turn off the ignition for a couple of minutes I get the same sequence of events to reoccur.
Relay 8 clicks on as it is suppose to and is new. 3 works and is new. 5 amp fuse is new and good.
When then out of frustration I jumped from the battery to the red lead from relay B (goes to the starter)...nothing. Spun the engine by hand so it is not frozen.
Am I looking at having to get another starter and begin this horrible process all over again or somewhere else that could be causing problem?
All connections are cleaned so bright you can see your reflection and battery is charged fully.
Help anyone@

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Starter Problem

Post by DenverWinger »

Starter should zip right along real good on the bench, I'm thinking the brushes are worn out and it doesn't have enough torque to do anything in the bike except draw a ton of power.

Needs to come back out and get opened up for inspection.....

Local automotive alternator/starter rebuilder shop can probably put one of the starters in good condition for you.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

DEFINITELY sounds like the brushes!! That's exactly the way my GL1100 starter acted when it's brushes were worn down. Surprisingly they were cheap as chips to buy, and simple (if a bit fiddly) to replace once the starter was sitting on the bench. I cleaned up the armature with fine emery paper, blew all the dust off, installed the new brushes, and it worked like brand new - spun over like a turbine on steroids! From then on, it started better than it ever had since I'd owned it. Easier on the battery, too.

IIRC, the cost of that repair was around $6 for the OEM Honda brushes. You know, it wouldn't surprise me if they never even changed the part number since then...

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik »

MH434:
Thanks, think i will give this a shot myself before i bring jt into a repair shop or buy a new one. Cant break it much more and rhis whole frame up rebuild has gone so far past my estimation not much difference is going ro be made . Thanks all.

Great group!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

Okay - I just looked up the parts at RonAyers.com. They're definitely more expensive than they used to be, but still not bad. $19.43USD for a set. https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... ting-motor

Hopefully that will help. You should know as soon as you get into the starter. If they're short they go past the point where the springs are able to hold them against the armature enough to get good contact. At that point it takes enormous amounts of current to even get the starter to move. On my GL1100, even jumping the bike to my running truck would barely turn the starter until I replaced the brushes.

Good luck, my friend!