Cable panel keepers.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
1989 GL1500 parts bike
1984 GL1200 Aspencade FOR SALE

Cable panel keepers.

Post by oldmopars »

I am sure I can't be the first person to think of such a thing, and I admit I kind of stole the idea from the BMW guys. On the K1200LT the mirrors are held on with spring clips and ball mounts. If you hit a really hard bump, knock it against something or hit it while backing up, the mirror falls off the bike. At 70mph the mirror is an explosion of plastic and glass. So we used several different methods to retain them. One of the ideas was to use heavy fishing leaders.
So, when the side panels on my GW felt a little loose, I went to the hardware store and got some real heavy fishing leaders. A pack of 4 was under $4. They have a clip on one end, so I just looped it though the panel and then clipped it around the frame.
Unfortunately I got to test them on my last trip as at different time both tried to leave the bike. Lucky for me the leaders worked and kept the panels from going anywhere. One did scrape the ground a little, but it just scratched the edge.
For less than $4 you can keep your side panels, or anything else you want from leaving the bike. This could also work with GPS, cell phones, Spot trackers, GoPro's, etc. The little clip on the ends make it real easy to install and remove. Sorry for the bad picture. but you get the idea.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Cable panel keepers.

Post by bluthundr31 »

I did a similar method to keep all of my panels secured to the bike, , , , but used the "S" biners from home depot for about the same price,(and you get 6 instead of 4), but look past the "sissy-lala" colors, they're hidden anyway , hehe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-Ke ... /305867327

Heavy fishing line and the "S" biners haven't failed me yet, , , simple and cheap too, , , , sounds like a win-win.

Rodzim
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500 se

Post by Rodzim »

A grommet kit is super cheap and easy to install. And available. Do the string as insurance but i would strongly recommend new grommets

oldmopars
1989 GL1500 parts bike

Post by oldmopars »

I will do new grommets, but I have one each nub that is broken off each panel. I think I have the broken parts to glue back on, but these keep them there in the mean time.
I have also found that if I put my feet up on the hwy pegs, the panels get sucked off due to the change in air flow.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

The "keepers" are just for insurance, the grommets are in decent shape and a "smidge" of all-purpose grease on the bosses keeps em easy to slip in and out.

I'm gonna run the battery tender cable up from the battery to the front of the seat next, , it'll keep me from having to pop the side cover off everytime I hook it up to charge when I park the beast.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The 1990's Honda PC800 had similar mirrors - if you hit them hard enough, they popped off, instead of breaking expensive plastic.

Unlike BMW, the Honda mirrors had a cable tether built into them from the factory, so they pop off and dangle instead of smashing onto the ground. You can see it here:

oldmopars
1989 GL1500 parts bike

Post by oldmopars »

BMW missed the boat on that one. They were hard to remove when new, but as time goes on and things wear out, they did not require as much effort to get them to fall off. Looks like Honda for the win on this one.