over heatting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Cooter26
Motorcycle: 1988 gl 1500

over heatting

Post by Cooter26 »

I have a 88 gold 1500 and it is running hot i changed thermostat and one radiator. Put Honda antifreeze in it the blue stuff what should i do to get it to run cooler and i'm also smelling antifreeze when it is idling but don't see any. Please help

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: over heatting

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Have you checked to see if your fans are working properly? Does it overheat at slow speed or highway speed, or both? If your fans aren't working it would overheat in slow traffic while it would be okay at highway speeds with the wind blowing through the radiators. Radiators could be restricted (not enough coolant flow). Airflow through radiators could be restricted (not enough airflow to dissipate the heat). You could have a bad head gasket that would cause you to smell coolant from the exhaust.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Cooter26

Post by Cooter26 »

Ok i'm not smelling it from the exhaust and when i first turn the key on the temp is all the way up the fans are working too

Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

If, when you turn the key on and the engine is cold, you should find that the temperature sensor is defective or there is a short to ground in the wire that goes to the sensor. Test, according to the service manual, the temperature gauge and sensor.
Russell

Cooter26

Post by Cooter26 »

Ok but it still moves but it just high when I put the key when is a cold engine I just don't know what else to do about smelling antifreeze from the front but don't see any puddles I don't know if it's still running hot or is it leaking somewhere that it's drying up I don't know what to do

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Pressure test the cooling system to check for leaks when it's all apart.

Cooter26

Post by Cooter26 »

How do you do that I'm not sure how to do that

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

You use a pressure tester. It's a small hand pump with a pressure gauge, that lets you test radiator caps as well as cooling systems. You can pressurize the cooling system to the cap relief pressure while everything is cold and you can touch things without getting burned. The only trick is that you will need to have the proper adapter to suit the Goldwing radiator cap size. Probably a lot easier now that so many cars have micro sized radiators. Search Amazon for "radiator pressure tester", for at least 100 examples!. I believe Harbor Freight also has one. When the system is under pressure you can find pesky leaks that only happen out on the road.

Cooter26

Post by Cooter26 »

Ok I will try that and see how that goes thanks for all the help

Charlie1Horse
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Don't put more than 15 PSI as the system (hose clamps, water pump seals, etc.) are not designed to hold more pressure than that. Excess pressure could ruin a radiator or blow out a hose or seal.
Russell