Wiped out my mirror - Need help

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Bentrider
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Commodore Blue

Wiped out my mirror - Need help

Post by Bentrider »

I have an 89 GL1500 and I managed to break off my right side mirror loading it on a trailer. All three screws that secure the mirror to the mount pulled out of their holes and the mirror fell to the ground. I had thought I would use JB Weld and epoxy them in place, but when I looked at the holes the next day I noticed some white sleeve material in the holes. I don't know if this was installed at the factory or put there by the previous owner. Anybody recognize this stuff? If its available it would make the repair easier and the screws removable. If I do have to use epoxy do you think I should remove the white stuff?
Attachments

PoolDude
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Re: Wiped out my mirror - Need help

Post by PoolDude »

Just a though but I would look at the fittings they use to create bolt holes in wood. You drill a larger hole and thread the adapter in and then the bolt into the adapter. I have used them in wood and wouldn't be surprised if one of them would work. Something like this: https://woodworker.com/8-32-threaded-br ... 23-437.asp or this https://woodworker.com/14-20-x-28-low-p ... 58-495.asp I would go down to my local Ace Hardware and look at what they have.

Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

That is dried glue. That mirror was stripped and someone glued the threads. You could put a nut on the back side or tap it out for a helicoil. I think those screws are an M6 so go to a parts store and ask for the heili coil kit. Take a screw with you to show them what size you need. I have done a lot of this kind of repair on my son's bikes. A Helicoil fix is actually stronger than the aluminum or pot metal OEM stuff.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 »

Agreed, Helicoil is the way to go.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Normally I would use some ABS slurry and seat the bolt in it to create some new threads. But with that unknown previous repair substance in there, I'd go either with a helicoil (maybe heat it to set it really well) or a nut on the far side.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

My daughter backed into my 92 Interstate and when it fell over the mirror hit a table and pulled all three screws out of the plastic just like yours is. I drilled out the holes in the mount by one drill size and used a bit larger screws to re-mount the mirror and have had no more problem. Made daughter find another place to park.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Bentrider
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Commodore Blue

Post by Bentrider »

Charlie1Horse wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:29 pm
My daughter backed into my 92 Interstate and when it fell over the mirror hit a table and pulled all three screws out of the plastic just like yours is. I drilled out the holes in the mount by one drill size and used a bit larger screws to re-mount the mirror and have had no more problem. Made daughter find another place to park.
Russell

If I can find bigger screws I will go that way, if not I will put the old ones back in with some JB Weld. Thanks for your help.

Terry D
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda GL1800

Post by Terry D »

Don't use JB weld on those screws. Those mirrors have to come off to replace the windshield if you ever need to.
It ain't the destination but the getting there. You are not lost until you run out of gas.

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

Personally, I have a heck of time struggling with the rubber boot when trying to put the screws made for the mirror back in, so I would probably pull out a number of hairs if I were to try to get a nut on the back side of each.

Wing--Man
Motorcycle: Its-A-Wing--Man

Post by Wing--Man »

These are available in metric.
Nip off the points if they are too long then ABS glue or soldering gun melt them into place.

It is good we have dreams, for if they were real, most would not be alive.
Smile for yourself next time you wake up, you have another fine day to live.

JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Post by JohnUSA »

Terry D wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:04 pm
Don't use JB weld on those screws. Those mirrors have to come off to replace the windshield if you ever need to.
2nd on "no" to JB Weld. Yes to a helicoil type solution. Or, next size screw if possible.