Broken Trunk Latch. Any suggestions on a fix?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
rickdf
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Broken Trunk Latch. Any suggestions on a fix?

Post by rickdf »

Hi All,

Not sure how it happened but just noticed the latch to my trunk is broken.
The other latch is still good but one of the "teeth" in the slot it goes into is broken, doh! So it won't lock now.
Any thoughts if this can be fixed? Thanks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Broken Trunk Latch. Any suggestions on a fix?

Post by WingAdmin »

Fortunately, it's ABS, so it's easily fixed.

Clean up both the broken piece, and the area it fits with some rubbing alcohol. Then make up some ABS slurry (ABS shavings and ABS cement) and slather it around the inside of the trunk lid where that piece will fit.

Liberally coat the broken piece with slurry, then put a decent coat of ABS cement along all the broken edges. Fit the piece back to where it came from, and hold it in place until it solidifies enough to hold itself - it shouldn't take long.

Once done and cured (overnight, to be safe), I'd probably mix up another small batch of slurry and smear it over top of the area that cracked, to add reinforcement. Let that cure as well.

rickdf

Post by rickdf »

Great idea. I thought about gluing with like epoxy but didn't think it would be strong enough. Your method definitely sounds much better. When you talk about making ABS shavings, what exactly are you talking about? Just like a sheet of ABS that I can buy at like Home Depot and grate it up using a rasp or cheese grater? Thanks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

rickdf wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:28 pm
Great idea. I thought about gluing with like epoxy but didn't think it would be strong enough. Your method definitely sounds much better. When you talk about making ABS shavings, what exactly are you talking about? Just like a sheet of ABS that I can buy at like Home Depot and grate it up using a rasp or cheese grater? Thanks!
You got it! I find the quickest/easiest way to get the shavings is to take a large drill bit and drill holes in the ABS. The drill shavings are quite thin, and "melt" in the solvent very quickly to form the slurry.

You'll see a fairly good discussion on this procedure with lots of pictures here: viewtopic.php?t=35675

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Don't know how your's got busted …
... but I've seen folks just drop or slam the trunk down.

I ease it down to where the latches just start to engage, then just reach forward to pass seat back rest top and pull, it clicks shut.

Slurry idea above is the way to a fix short of replacement.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Post by pidjones »

You can still buy ABS cement on Amazon. GP cleaner can be used before using the glue. It holds very well on properly cleaned pieces.

rickdf

Post by rickdf »

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:36 pm
rickdf wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:28 pm
You got it! I find the quickest/easiest way to get the shavings is to take a large drill bit and drill holes in the ABS. The drill shavings are quite thin, and "melt" in the solvent very quickly to form the slurry.

You'll see a fairly good discussion on this procedure with lots of pictures here: viewtopic.php?t=35675
Great info, thank you!

rickdf

Post by rickdf »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:51 pm
Don't know how your's got busted …
... but I've seen folks just drop or slam the trunk down.

I ease it down to where the latches just start to engage, then just reach forward to pass seat back rest top and pull, it clicks shut.

Slurry idea above is the way to a fix short of replacement.
Yeah, I'm sure I either dropped it or slammed it too hard at some point. I'll definately have to be more careful in the future. Thanks!

rickdf

Post by rickdf »

pidjones wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:19 pm
You can still buy ABS cement on Amazon. GP cleaner can be used before using the glue. It holds very well on properly cleaned pieces.
I see it's available at my local Lowes. I'll probably pick some up tomorrow after work. Regarding the GP cleaner. I don't see that available local so do you think denatured or isopropyl alcohol will work as well? Thanks!

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Not to hijack the thread, but the OP also mentioned the latch that engages the hooks on the lid was broken on the other side so with broken hook on one side and broken latch on the other could not lock.

I too have broken latch on one side, the hooks on the lid are both OK.

I haven't opened up the latching mechanism yet to see what broke, are those parts even available? Are they ABS too? I wouldn't mind having both sides of the trunk lid able to latch, and I'm sure the OP would like that too....
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

rickdf

Post by rickdf »

DenverWinger wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:42 am
Not to hijack the thread, but the OP also mentioned the latch that engages the hooks on the lid was broken on the other side so with broken hook on one side and broken latch on the other could not lock.

I too have broken latch on one side, the hooks on the lid are both OK.

I haven't opened up the latching mechanism yet to see what broke, are those parts even available? Are they ABS too? I wouldn't mind having both sides of the trunk lid able to latch, and I'm sure the OP would like that too....
Yes, I've put that on the back burner for now, but at some point, I'll have to address that. The catch assembly (#42) is the part that I think needs to be replaced. It's not too bad cost-wise and still available via Partszilla (below) so that's good news. I'm going take it apart at some point to see if it's actually broken or if something is just stuck.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 2ba1513a31

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Here is some info that might be a fix for both of you on the trunk latches. One is an email address of a guy who used to, and possibly still does, make some metal ones to replace the plastic ones that Honda put there.
popawheeliey@gmail.com

Here is a link to how Mr Magic Fingers fixed his broken latches.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2- ... latch.html

rickdf

Post by rickdf »

bellboy40 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:58 am
Here is some info that might be a fix for both of you on the trunk latches. One is an email address of a guy who used to, and possibly still does, make some metal ones to replace the plastic ones that Honda put there.
popawheeliey@gmail.com

Here is a link to how Mr Magic Fingers fixed his broken latches.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2- ... latch.html
Great info, thanks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Forum member Moto_Man makes the metal latches, he wrote about them here: viewtopic.php?t=21279#p118415

I bought a set from him and installed them in my GL1500, they work perfectly, and will never break again.

Here's what they look like:

GL1500 Steel Latches
GL1500 Steel Latches

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Doesn't look like he's signed on since 2014, wonder if he's still around.....
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

pidjones
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800A
1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine (project)

Post by pidjones »

rickdf wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:29 pm
pidjones wrote:
I see it's available at my local Lowes. I'll probably pick some up tomorrow after work. Regarding the GP cleaner. I don't see that available local so do you think denatured or isopropyl alcohol will work as well? Thanks!
Lowe's will have general purpose plumbing cleaner. Oatey Clear Cleaner is one. It has a high acetone content and not only cleans well but etches (and slightly softens) in preparation for the glue. Don't get it on paint! Our big box stores around here stopped carrying ABS glue because ABS is frowned on by area plumbers I guess. I think it meets code, but here they just use PVC.

rickdf

Post by rickdf »

pidjones wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 pm
rickdf wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:29 pm
pidjones wrote:
Lowe's will have general purpose plumbing cleaner. Oatey Clear Cleaner is one. It has a high acetone content and not only cleans well but etches (and slightly softens) in preparation for the glue. Don't get it on paint! Our big box stores around here stopped carrying ABS glue because ABS is frowned on by area plumbers I guess. I think it meets code, but here they just use PVC.
Thanks!

rickdf

Post by rickdf »

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 pm
Fortunately, it's ABS, so it's easily fixed.

Clean up both the broken piece, and the area it fits with some rubbing alcohol. Then make up some ABS slurry (ABS shavings and ABS cement) and slather it around the inside of the trunk lid where that piece will fit.

Liberally coat the broken piece with slurry, then put a decent coat of ABS cement along all the broken edges. Fit the piece back to where it came from, and hold it in place until it solidifies enough to hold itself - it shouldn't take long.

Once done and cured (overnight, to be safe), I'd probably mix up another small batch of slurry and smear it over top of the area that cracked, to add reinforcement. Let that cure as well.
Just got it done following your method and it's looking pretty good. A little messy maybe but even after just a few hours it's feeling strong. I'm going to let it cure for another day before re-attaching the latch. Thanks much for the great instructions. Oh and for anyone wondering. I used an ABS toilet flange (Lowes didn't have any ABS sheets) for the source of ABS. I drilled two 1/2" holes and it gave me more than enough material for making the slurry. Cheers.

Wing--Man
Motorcycle: Its-A-Wing--Man

Post by Wing--Man »

Once a plastic part is broke it is never as strong as original. Beef up around that repair with at least 2 more slurry layers.

It is good we have dreams, for if they were real, most would not be alive.
Smile for yourself next time you wake up, you have another fine day to live.