Front speaker help!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wcourtois
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500

Front speaker help!

Post by wcourtois »

So after reading many posts on many forums, there seemed to be a consensus that the Polk db501's were a good option for front speaker replacement. Well I went that route and they sound like crap! I'm hoping it's just something I'm missing but all I had to do was hook them up and they sound like someone's beating a tin can. The plain speakers I took out didn't sound like that. I have nothing else to hook them up to for comparison so I can't rule anything out yet. Am I missing something?

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Front speaker help!

Post by bluthundr31 »

I didn't use the Polk speakers for my upgrade, , but did you get the foam "baffles" put in behind those Polk speakers???

Lots of folks say there's a big difference with the baffles installed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

If the sound is tinny, then you have a sealing problem - air is getting from the front of the speaker to the back of the speaker. That's why baffling helps - it seals against the back of the speaker, and prevents the low-frequency energy just rolling around the edge of the speaker instead of being pushed outwards as sound.

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik »

I had to send my Polk speakers back when I discovered that the cone was not attached to the frame. The raised plastic ring around the cone has to be securely attached to the frame or you will get a ton of buzzing and tin can sound. I have heard that there has/had been a quality control problem that is showing up as this issue.

Baffles that can be picked up off eBay or Amazon for 10 bucks also make a lot of difference when used on our bikes.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

tsandvik wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:40 am
I had to send my Polk speakers back when I discovered that the cone was not attached to the frame. The raised plastic ring around the cone has to be securely attached to the frame or you will get a ton of buzzing and tin can sound. I have heard that there has/had been a quality control problem that is showing up as this issue.

Baffles that can be picked up off eBay or Amazon for 10 bucks also make a lot of difference when used on our bikes.
If the cone isn't attached to the frame, you essentially get the exact same result as I described: the low frequency energy rolls around the edge of the cone to the back of the speaker, instead of being projected outward as sound.

wcourtois

Post by wcourtois »

Thank you all... But, all I did was hook up the wires and tested. I'm gonna see if I can find a stereo here at work to test them on.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

wcourtois wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:37 pm
Thank you all... But, all I did was hook up the wires and tested. I'm gonna see if I can find a stereo here at work to test them on.
Aha, well there's your problem. Any speaker that is not installed in an enclosure will sound TERRIBLE, for the reasons I explained - the bass just rolls around the outside of the speaker instead of being projected outward. Just hooking up wires to a speaker will always sound terrible.

Straydogg
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing

Post by Straydogg »

I bought the 501's from Amazon and they were crap. I thought I was getting them from Polk but I didn't pay attention to the seller. It wasn't Polk. I emailed Polk and they told me since the 501's aren't made anymore, ones I find are either old stock or refurbished or both. As you said, installed in my '89, after tearing the bike apart, of course, one was rattling and the other sounded horribly tinny. I sent them back and Amazon refunded my money in a couple of hours of when I sent them. They didn't even wait for them to be returned. Now, I had them in my old '83 and they were great sounding speakers but I did buy them directly from Polk about 6 years ago. My stock speakers sound much better by comparison so, until I find a suitable replacement, they will work for me. Might be a Winter project.

wcourtois

Post by wcourtois »

Well, unfortunately I saw the last post too late. I've now had 2 sets shipped to me and 3 of 4 speakers were junk. I ended up just buying some infinity speakers for twice as much, but they sound much better. I'm not spending money to make it any better and now looking to buy headsets for the wife and I. Thank you all for he speaker input. Now on to headset research...