Shipping GL1500 Engine

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Shipping GL1500 Engine

Post by tsandvik »

I am putting up a used 1990 GL1500 engine but do not have the foggiest idea on how to ship the monster.
Has anyone on the site shipped one?
My questions are:
Weight of engine
Who will ship an engine and pick up at my house/garage?
How to pack up.
Any other things that have to be done or looked at.

If anyone is interested it is from a 1990 Aspencade with reverse. Approx 64K miles. Ran like a champ before I took it out of the bike. Problem is the shift fork causing the 3 - 4 slippage issue.
I have replaced the engine by myself but I have finally gotten to the point of being able to admit my limits. Dont have the tools and space to crack the engine to fix this engine.
Including the alternator and a rebuilt starter. New timing belt (about 200 miles on it). Thinking about $400 not including shipping? Open to offers.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Shipping GL1500 Engine

Post by AZgl1800 »

you will need to make a very solid pallet for it, 2x4's in a box, put a center cross member in it. put a piece of 3/4 ABS plyboard over that.

place the engine on top of that, and use enough 1/8th steel cables and Turn buckles to secure it to some wood screw eyebolts.

once it is solid and can't move, build a box over the whole thing. I would use the rest of the plywood to cover the four sides, lay in a piece of 2x4 in each corner and a few wood screws to make it solid. Lay a top over the whole thing.

then let the buyer determine how it gets shipped, that is not your department. it is his/hers.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Rodzim
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500 se

Post by Rodzim »

I doubt you will get any offers on that engine. Maybe someone needs parts and will buy it, but not to fix the gear issue.
Having said that, last year i sold a 22hp lawn mower engine with a hole on the block, a rod got loose and it went flying through the block. Some guy gave me $50 for it. It goes to show that you never know.....poeple will buy anything.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Due to the weight it would have to go motor freight with one of the LTL carriers such as UPS freight, FedEx freight or R&L carriers. Strap the engine securely to a pallet after first covering top of pallet with plywood, block and brace engine using wood blocks to prevent tipping. Shrink wrap the affair. Load into back of pick up or trailer and drop item at Carriers' local terminal ($$ savings) where they will fork it off and say your good byes.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik »

Thanks for the packing hints. Really doubt I will need to do it but you never know.
Will more than likely end up parting it out and disposing of the block and any parts not sold. I do see there is activity for heads, clutches and a few other parts.
Much easier shipping heads as the largest item. Aluminum block can be cleaned up and sold to recycler, I believe.
Will see. She who must be obeyed is starting to ask where the old engine is going even though the garage has been negotiated as my space in the house (man cave). Usually means that I have about 60 days to make it disappear.