Turn Signal Lights-Reverse

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tim.mckee
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL 1500 Aspencade Goldwing

Turn Signal Lights-Reverse

Post by tim.mckee »

Hello, I own a 1999 Honda GL 1500 Aspencade with 72, 523 miles. Recently I rode across town only to arrive at my destination to find that the reverse would not work. The reverse module was replaced last year by a local dealer, whom I will not name nor go back to. When I put the bike in reverse, it locks into gear but won’t move. The reverse light comes on but the bike won’t engage into reverse. Unlike the last time this happened, both turn signal lights begin blinking while in reverse. They are dim, but blinking. When I take it out of reverse, both turn signals lights remain on but solid as well as dim. When I put the bike in neutral, the lights go out. Turn signals work, emergency flashers work, brake light’s work, all is well in neutral. However, when in gear, the turn signal lights both come on dimly, and the turn signals, either, and the emergency lights, won’t function.
As I previously mentioned, last year the reverse module, located under the trunk, was replaced. It has worked flawlessly since. Could this issue be with a relay and would said relay connect the reverse module with the turn signals? Or, has the reverse module gone out again? I did not have this issue with the lights last time.
Hope you can help.

Tim D. McKee
Converse, Texas

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: Turn Signal Lights-Reverse

Post by Charlie1Horse »

My first thought would be a bad ground connection, possibly in the white connector under the seat. When you have a bad ground you will have numerous electrical problems because the ground will feed back through other accessories which will make them all operate when one has been turned on.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

tim.mckee

Post by tim.mckee »

Great, thanks. I will check that first.

tim.mckee

Post by tim.mckee »

Well Charlie Horse that wasn't it. Checked the ground even cleaned it and reconnected it, no luck. I did find however the relay that's near the ground under the seat is clicking while the bike is in reverse. The flashers are "flickering" (flashing at a fast rate) as well. I replaced the relay with a new on and no luck. The turn signal lights still flicker and the reverse will not work although in gear. Have any ideas now? LOL!
Tim

PS. While riding the bike the other day when this all started, the turn signals will not flash as long as the bike is under power. At idle or in neutral, they work fine. Have to admit, this problem has me stumped.

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

Being a retired electronics service engineer, but have to admit I'm new to the goldwing scene, here is my two penny worth.
If one electrical function controls another and the two are not connected, it must be a bad earth, wires chaffed and shorting, not all earths run direct,some are bunched before they hit earth. Check ALL connections associated with reverse module, inspect all turn signal cables, as far as you can see. Also check any fuses associated with reverse and turn signals, as a bad connection there could cause reverse module to try to power up through the wrong route, it sounds like reverse module is trying to power up in series with the turn signals, thereby not enough current available for reverse as it's being limited by the turn bulbs.
Hope this helps.
Alex

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I agree with the others about it being a ground issue. Here is some information I have in my files about a couple of gang ground connectors (C191 & C192). They are located, one on each side of the fuel tank, taped into the wiring harness. You will have to unwrap the wiring harness to see them. They are orange in color and have 14 pins each that are connected together and then go to ground as a single wire. This was posted by DBohrer from the Goldwingfacts.com forum.

C191 and C192 Ground Connectors - posted by DBohrer

The C191 and C192 ground connectors provide a "ground path" to the following functions. If you are having a ground issue and can't figure it out, you may want to check these two connectors. There have been a couple of issues with burnt wiring at these connectors. (They are taped up in a wire harness and not obviously visible, unwrap the tape)

Note: This has been on my 'puter for about three years, though I would share it in case someone might be interested.

C191 Orange “14-pin” Connector
(Green Ground Wires)
(Behind the Right Inner Cover)

Turn Signal Switch. (On the Left Handlebar)

Right Cornering Light Relay. (Behind Right Lower Fairing Panel)

Cruise Control Switches. (SE, Illumination Right Handlebar)

Right Horn. (Behind the Under Cover)

Reverse Control Unit. (Under Trunk)

Engine Control Module. (Behind the Right Inner Cover)

Bank Angle Sensor (BAS). (Under the Seat, Right Frame Rail)

Fuel Pump. (Under the Seat)

************************************************** *******************************
C192 Orange “14-pin” Connector
(Green Ground Wires)
(Behind the Left Inner Cover)

Tail Main Relay # 3. (In the Relay Box)

Head Light Relays “Low and High”. (In the Relay Box)

Turn Signal Cancel Control Unit. (Bottom of the Steering Column)

Left Cornering Light Relay. (Behind Left Lower Fairing Panel)

Left and Right Rear Turn Signals. (In the Trunk)

Hazard Flasher Relay. (Under Trunk)

Starter Relay Regulator. (Behind Left Saddlebag)

Stop Light Relay. (In the Relay Box)

Left Horn. (Behind the Under Cover)

Radio Cassette Deck. (Below the Top Compartment)

CB Radio Switch Assembly. (SE, Left Handlebar)

Trunk Light Switch. (Trunk Lid)

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Here is a picture I found that shows what one of the ground connectors looks like.

C192 ground connector
C192 ground connector

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

Thanks for this input, I DON'T have a problem at the moment but first chance I get I will be checking these, you only need a little mildue setting in on one pin and the problem can escalate very quickly once it starts arcing

Alex

tim.mckee

Post by tim.mckee »

bellboy40 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:29 am
Here is a picture I found that shows what one of the ground connectors looks like.
C192 ground connector.jpg

I found a relay, the g8ms-h35 10 amp that is bad. Any idea on where I could purchase one? I use to see them advertised on this web site but can't find them. Any help would be appreciated.
Tim

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Check down near the bottom of your latest monthly news letter for the relays. WingAdmin has them for a good price.
Russell

tim.mckee

Post by tim.mckee »

Can't see the newsletter since Yahoo is blocking it. Would you be so kind as to post a link for me? I'd be grateful.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Check this link for how to get the relays from WingAdmin.

/Store/Goldwing ... MS-H30.asp

tim.mckee

Post by tim.mckee »

Thanks for that but the site wont let me search for the relay I need and there is no "contact us" phone or email page. Any ideas? I know they are closed until Tuesday but would like to leave a message.

tim.mckee

Post by tim.mckee »

Never mind. Found the contact area finally. Thanks for your help.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The G8MS-H30 (which we sell) and G8MS-H35 (which we don't sell) are electrically compatible, but not physically compatible. You could technically perhaps take a H30 relay, cut some of the plastic off the bottom, and plug it into the socket where the H35 goes, and it should work. I haven't tried this, however.

tim.mckee

Post by tim.mckee »

Thank you for getting back to me.
Tim