Bleeding GL1500 rear brake without removing pannier box

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
CRAFFS
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing GL1500, 1975 Suzuki GT750, 1979 Yamaha SX750

Bleeding GL1500 rear brake without removing pannier box

Post by CRAFFS »

Good day All, I know there have been many posts regarding the bleeding of the left front & rear brakes system. According to my manual (and many posts) one needs to bleed the left front first and than the rear. To do the rear, my manual stipulates the left rear pannier to be removed.

However, some posts referred to the round opening (40mm diameter) covered by a round rubber seal in the inside wall of the pannier. Removing the rubber seal gives access to the bleed nipple of the rear caliper. It is quite difficult to fit the bleed (overflow) hose through the 40mm round hole. To overcome this, I drilled a 10mm hole about 25mm above the 40mm hole and fed the bleed hose through the 10mm hole down to the bleed nipple. This tiny modification made the proper fitting of the hose to the bleed nipple much easier.
Afterwards I covered the 10mm hole with a "self-stick" pad that can be bought at any hardware store. The original rubber seal is also "self-stick" but I added a thin layer of contact adhesive just to make 100% sure it seals properly.

Caution: - Behind & around the 40mm hole there is ample space. Before drilling the 10mm hole, I positioned a small piece of wood behind the inside wall of the pannier to act as a stopper for the drill bit. Might mention that I started with a 4mm, 6mm, 8mm and then 10mm drill bits in order not to "push" too hard on the drill. (Hope you understand my Africa English :)).

Bentrider
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Commodore Blue

Re: Bleeding GL1500 rear brake without removing pannier box

Post by Bentrider »

Excellent post. I just had to bleed my rear brakes a week ago. I did it without removing the rear pannier. In the process I accidently pulled the bleed nut rubber plug too far and the retaining portion came off the bleed nut. I tried several different ways to get it back on, all of which were unsuccessful. I finally had to remove the pannier to put it back on. I do so wish I had read your post before doing that. It would have been an excellent opportunity to make your 10mm modification. Since I am still having brake problems, I may get the chance soon. Thanks again.

CRAFFS

Post by CRAFFS »

My pleasure Bentrider!, it is a tiny contribution for all the very helpful advice I got from the forum.

I believe many so called innovative ideas come from lazy people (I am one of them).

Redhot
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K 1989

Post by Redhot »

Well, great minds think alike... Did this last week, though drilled a 20mm hole as I had that size hole cutter and 20mm blind grommet handy. Didn't really think ahead too much, just got p'd off trying to get hose on, seemed like a solution, grabbed the drill and bingo. Bit of a rash decision, but works a treat, which makes a nice change...

CRAFFS

Post by CRAFFS »

Hi Redhot, it is so nice to find at least one job on the GL1500 that becomes easy & quick (and it works!). I am still searching for a button or lever one can push/pull and the carburetors drop out by themselves :)). I have a "flat spot" at low RPM which I am "doctoring" with all kinds of carb cleaner I can find down here in South Africa but with not much success so far. So the dreaded job of removing the carbs is waiting for me :(((

Redhot
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K 1989

Post by Redhot »

That would be handy ! Btw. Just to make life more complicated....A flat spot can be caused by an air leak, making it run lean, it's not always a blockage. Also, just check there's no blockage in the exhaust.