Tire Replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Jabberwokki
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Tire Replacement

Post by Jabberwokki »

Greetings All!
My first post and brand new to the forum so advance apologies as I learn my steps.
I recently realized my dream of owning a goldwing and found a 98’ GL 1500 SE for a price I could live with and in well kept condition.
Since then I of course have immersed myself in any and all basic maitenance posts so I cover all the bases along with reading ahead for those dream enhancements that hopefully lay in the near future.

My first question may seem trivial but I have no doubt the esteemed and extreme tech support on this site will help guide me in the right direction.

When I bought the bike I was also the happy recipient of a complete extra rear wheel rim rotor and drive.
The tire is in excellent shape and I want to use it along with buying a new front tire.
The rear tire is an older model but was stored well and is like brand new.
It’s a Dunlop touring k 177 160/80 16 75 h.
Can I feasibly put this tire on the back and what should I use for the front (as in does it need to pair exactly with that model?)
So many tires and types but I have looked at two possible Dunlop front tires.
Dunlop D404 130/70-18 and Dunlop American Elite 130/70B18 63H
Can anyone guide me in knowing if one of these will work? (Providing recommendation says I can mix theses tires)
Thanks to all the great posts I have already read leading to more time on the road and the safety to enjoy that time.

{If I seem lost in thought with a slight grin on my face I am probably planning my next ride or reliving a previous one}

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Tire Replacement

Post by AZgl1800 »

Check the Date Code on the side of the tire.

It is generally considered that 6 years is End of Life.

but, if that tire has been stored in a dark place, I would use it at 6 years old.

15 years old, it is junk
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Concours - sold - :-)
2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Post by cbx4evr »

Jabberwokki wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:26 pm

So many tires and types but I have looked at two possible Dunlop front tires.
Dunlop D404 130/70-18 and Dunlop American Elite 130/70B18 63H
Can anyone guide me in knowing if one of these will work? (Providing recommendation says I can mix theses tires)
Check the Dunlop website. The only tire they recommend for the Goldwing 1500 is the Elite 4. That would be my choice too.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Jabberwokki

Post by Jabberwokki »

Thank you
Helps making a decision
The date code is past 6 years and even though the tire looks brand new I’m going to err on the side of caution and just replace both with new.
I appreciate your time and assistance.
{If I seem lost in thought with a slight grin on my face I am probably planning my next ride or reliving a previous one}

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

If your going to replace the tires yourself...
I would suggest using balance beads or some such thing.They really work.
I also found it difficult to remove a tire from the rim..Way too much effort to get the bead off..the sidewall was hard and not very flexible...
I did use a knife(after I broke the bead loose) and cut through one sidewall..
I could then pull the tire off in 2 pieces by hand.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK »

I would just like to add, do yourself a favour and fit Bridgeport valves,

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra »

Jabberwokki wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:11 pm
Thank you
Helps making a decision
The date code is past 6 years and even though the tire looks brand new I’m going to err on the side of caution and just replace both with new.
I appreciate your time and assistance.
Smart man. 6-8 years is considered the self life for a tire. I usually will not install a tire that is older then 4 years old, depending on how much the owner rides. If you are planning on changing out the tires your self, No-Mar Tire changer has some excellent video's on how to change all different kinds of tires, using their equipment of course, but you don't need to use their equipment. I got mine from Harbor Freight Years ago, but I have still use their video's to refresh my memory from time to time. I have been using Dyna beads for the last 5-6 years and they do an excellent job. Another product I will try on my next tire change will be Ride On . Not only does it dynamically balance your tire's it also will seal a puncture. I've read quite a few good reviews about Ride On

To answer your other question about the same tire, yes you want the same tread pattern on the front and back so it is best to install the same brand and model tire on both. You also want to install the tire correctly in the path of rotation. There is usually some type of arrow on the side wall, some manufacturers can get quite creative incorporating the arrow into the logo, that indicates the rotation of the tire and you want to install it on the wheel going in the same direction. Hope this helps.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by NOVAwing »

For what it's worth op.

I recently installed Avon Cobras, cheapest I could find with good reviews front and rear.

So far great when dry and when wet. Only got about 1k miles on them though so not sure about the long term treadlife. Look great though, and price is right.

I paid a shop to mount and balance after pulling the wheels myself.

I'm retired from working on cars for a living, using tire machines is a pita as it is, no way I would unmount and mount tires by hand.

Se people do, more power to you guys!

Personally, if I want to sweat, swear, hurt myself, and be frustrated, I'll just run around the house, and bang my head into the nearest wall lol.

Or just work on some other part of my wing.

Good luck.
NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Jabberwokki

Post by Jabberwokki »

Wow
You guys are on the ball!
I went today and ordered two Dunlop Elite 4
Taking advantage of the rebate while it runs through the 31st of August.
Not quite up to changing out the tires on the rim myself so will take the wheel in to be done.
Went ahead and got all the necessary brake pads and drive grease so while I do have it apart I’m going to set the clock on replacement of those along with what the book recommends so my maitenance is starting up to date.
Hardest part is not riding long enough to do it.
Thanks again for your help.
Amazing site!