1990 gl1500 will start when I jump solenoid but not when button pushed

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
czwalbert
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500

1990 gl1500 will start when I jump solenoid but not when button pushed

Post by czwalbert »

Hello, I was following a previous forum from 2016 have power to my ignition switch... all lights except for neutral and reverse come on. click at relay box but no turning over. jumped the solenoid and it started. New battery yesterday. have power to the brown/red leg to reverse relay switch but not to the yellow/red. the black/red and blue/red both ground well.
any help greatly appreciated

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: 1990 gl1500 will start when I jump solenoid but not when button pushed

Post by bellboy40 »

I would start with the reverse lever. Move it into reverse position and back a few times to exercise the contacts on that switch. That switch is known to be troublesome. You might have to take off the handle and spray the switch with some contact cleaner. Also, you might check for a defective 5 amp fuse in the relay box.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

czwalbert wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:54 pm
Hello, I was following a previous forum from 2016 have power to my ignition switch... all lights except for neutral and reverse come on. click at relay box but no turning over. jumped the solenoid and it started. New battery yesterday. have power to the brown/red leg to reverse relay switch but not to the yellow/red. the black/red and blue/red both ground well.any help greatly appreciated
The reverse light will not illuminate unless engine is running. The red/yellow having no power at relay A to right of battery with starter button pushed is what you need to address. Check ign/cruise fuse and relay and bank angle sensor then onto the starter button itself. Will the cruise on light illuminate? Will it start with clutch pulled in?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

You said you did not have power on the yel/red at the Reverse Switch Relay. You have to have power there to operate that relay and that lets the ground through from the neutral switch to the A relay. That power comes from the 5 amp fuse in the relay box and goes through the reverse lever switch. Again, the first thing to check is that reverse lever switch and the fuse that feeds it.

ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

I missed the part about the test location. In that case then yes do as directed for reverse lever and 5A fuse.
This is what I do

czwalbert

Post by czwalbert »

bellboy40 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:32 pm
I would start with the reverse lever. Move it into reverse position and back a few times to exercise the contacts on that switch. That switch is known to be troublesome. You might have to take off the handle and spray the switch with some contact cleaner. Also, you might check for a defective 5 amp fuse in the relay box.
Thank, ok went through the process 10xs sprayed with cleaner and checked the fuse it's good. I didnt mention earlier the bike ran when parked 2 years ago. it was originally 2 wheel but converted to a trike many years back. not sure if this is useful info.

czwalbert

Post by czwalbert »

bellboy40 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:59 pm
You said you did not have power on the yel/red at the Reverse Switch Relay. You have to have power there to operate that relay and that lets the ground through from the neutral switch to the A relay. That power comes from the 5 amp fuse in the relay box and goes through the reverse lever switch. Again, the first thing to check is that reverse lever switch and the fuse that feeds it.
cruise light will illuminate. the only light not working is the neutral light. it will not start with clutch pulled in I checked the two switches behind the clutch handle both seem to be operating as the should. 5amp fuse in the relay box? or the fuse box? I checked the fuse in the fuse box it's good let me know if I need to check anything In the relay box... I'll need to take the whole back off also when i push start button there is a click in the relay box but no clicking at starter solenoid A or B to the right of the battery. is this due to the power not reaching them?
thanks

czwalbert

Post by czwalbert »

ct1500 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:32 am
I missed the part about the test location. In that case then yes do as directed for reverse lever and 5A fuse.
This is where I got in the previous forum you helped a gentleman with. only his bike wasnt grounding properly mine doesn't have power at the yellow red wire. also I believe his bike was running and stopped mine has been sitting. not sure if any of this info is useful. how should I go about checking this wire?
any help appreciated!
Attachments

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Take the side cover and reverse handle off and let's check for some voltages on that reverse lever switch.
The brown/white wire should have voltage when the ignition switch is on.
The black/white wire should have voltage with switch on and lever in forward position.
The white/blue wire should have voltage with switch on and lever in reverse position.

The brown/white wire is connected inside the switch to the black/white wire in forward position and that is what goes to that yellow/red wire at the reverse switch relay which you said did not have voltage.

Make those tests and come back with the results.

This is a picture of the switch where you will be checking the wires for voltage.

Reverse lever switch
Reverse lever switch

czwalbert

Post by czwalbert »

bellboy40 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:03 am
Take the side cover and reverse handle off and let's check for some voltages on that reverse lever switch.
The brown/white wire should have voltage when the ignition switch is on.
The black/white wire should have voltage with switch on and lever in forward position.
The white/blue wire should have voltage with switch on and lever in reverse position.

The brown/white wire is connected inside the switch to the black/white wire in forward position and that is what goes to that yellow/red wire at the reverse switch relay which you said did not have voltage.

Make those tests and come back with the results.

This is a picture of the switch where you will be checking the wires for voltage.
Reverse Switch.jpg

Perfect thank you I'm heading there in about an hour so I'll run those test and get back to you... it's at my grandpas house he turned 90 this month so were trying to get it going so he can have a few more rides. really appreciate your help

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

That's great that your Grandpa still wants to ride. Hope you can get it going soon and take him for a nice ride.

ct1500

Post by ct1500 »

czwalbert wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:52 am
I'll need to take the whole back off also when i push start button there is a click in the relay box but no clicking at starter solenoid A or B to the right of the battery. is this due to the power not reaching them? thanks
The clicking relay in the box is for the headlight cutout with start button pushed and is normal, not part of your current problem. :)
This is what I do

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

The 5A fuse stated in previous posts is not in the fuse or relay box. It is on the right side, behind the battery near the reverse relays in a rubber boot.

There are two 5A fuses inside, check both, because it is hard (you should look at the wire colors) to distinguish which one is for the start or reverse.
Attachments