Alternative Battery For GL 1500 That Fits MUCH Better

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tbird71
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard W/Hondaline Fairing
1989 GL1500 completely bone stock

Alternative Battery For GL 1500 That Fits MUCH Better

Post by tbird71 »

Battery died in my 89 the other day, went to remove...
Battery fitment is WAY too tight in there!

Almost NO room to get at battery bolts, 8" long battery just
barely fits, I had another idea...

Looked up a Power Sear PM14 I KNOW it's a smaller battery with 190 CCA
but I never ride under 50 degrees and most of the time 70 or higher

THIS battery is 3/8" or so less height than the stock one, is only about
6" wide and almost the same depth as stock. IT FIT IN THERE EASILY, plenty of
room for cables to bolt on

Also, I'm using the POWER STAR HD, comes with a THREE YEAR WARRANTY
if it ever fails just go to parts store and get a battery test and print out.
IF BAD THEY SEND YOU A NEW BATTERY UP TO 3 YEARS FROM PURCHASE!

I ride HD bikes as well, and this Power Star HD battery is all I use in them have had
really good results.

Battery went in easily fits well and starts every time, I don't know if this
will fit everyone's needs, but it sure works well for me, with the warranty
the much better fit, and less money it is MY solution. Just wanted to add an alternative
to those ill fitting stock batteries

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: Alternative Battery For GL 1500 That Fits MUCH Better

Post by Sadanorakman »

Well I guess it's working for you (for now).
I appreciate that you don't have to rely on this for low temperature cranking, and it is an AGM battery, but...

The battery you quote is only 14AH with 180 CCA.
Even the original Yuasa Y50-18L wet-cell is 20AH, with 260 CCA.
My Motobat MBTX24U AGM has 25AH, and 300 CCA... It fits the holder really nicely, and why would I be in a rush to remove it once fitted? Maybe in six or eight years time :geek: :)

I think you can guess that I personally wouldn't fit the powerstar.

For me, the magic ingredients are a trusty AGM with the greatest capability that fits into the original holder. I don't understand why someone would want to fit a part that is 1/3 under-rated compared to even the original OEM specified battery.

If the alternator were to fail on both our bikes, then I'd be able to travel around twice as far on my battery in comparison to yours before being left stranded.
Every day's a school day....What have you learned today?

tbird71

Post by tbird71 »

I can get an original size Power Star as well for abt 25 bucks more,
but after horsing this huge worthless thing out of my wing I'll stay with this littler one

Good as yours may be, I'm guessing you only have a 6 month or 1 year warranty at best
so go ahead horse that thing out after it dies and install a new one

Mine as a THREE year warranty, I have had these in my HD for over 5 yr now with no problems
whatsoever

If you live up north or ride in cold weather I could see where you might want a bigger
batt, but I have no need for anything more, to each his own
I'm done horsing the huge ill fittin original size out. To each his own

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I use Odyssey PC680, it's 3" deep, 7-1/8" long, and 6-3/4" tall. Works great, last too!
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Got a standard wet cell in the 1100, Couldn't say offhand what battery is in the 1500 without going outside to look. It is the AGM battery that came in the bike when I bought it almost 3 years ago, battery still going strong.

I noticed, though, that it doesn't quite fit the battery box, correct height and length, but I had to put a 3/4" thick piece of wood behind the battery to make up for what it is lacking in depth to keep it from moving around in the battery box...
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

Another vote for the Odyssey. The one in my 1500 fits perfect. It is going on 8 years old and still starts the bike like the day I put it in. I have even killed it twice by leaving the key on in the Acc. position. Just charged it back up and it was as good as new.

Wing--Man
Motorcycle: Its-A-Wing--Man

Post by Wing--Man »

Your 89 Wings battery really should have that Y50-18L battery.

If it hesitates to start for whatever reason, you will not have enough voltage to start it. It will crank but not start.

LUKE, go with the large battery.
Battery, large, go with.... said Yoda.
It is good we have dreams, for if they were real, most would not be alive.
Smile for yourself next time you wake up, you have another fine day to live.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Another vote for the MotoBatt. I've had mine now for 2 1/2 years and it still runs and cranks like brand new. It fit easily into the battery box, no struggling at all.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

DenverWinger wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:16 pm
...is in the 1500 without going outside to look. It is the AGM battery that came in the bike when I bought it almost 3 years ago, battery still going strong.

I noticed, though, that it doesn't quite fit the battery box, correct height and length, but I had to put a 3/4" thick piece of wood behind the battery to make up for what it is lacking in depth to keep it from moving around in the battery box...
Yeah, I forgot that part. I flipped the retaining bracket around and added some rolled up rubber inner tube material strapped to the bracket to snug it up.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman »

I've figured that if I fit a bicycle tire on the front wheel of my GW, that it is not only much lighter, and cheaper, but so much easier to get on and off the rim. I don't have to 'Horse' around with those pesky tire-levers, because it gives a good 3/4" clearance either side between the bead and the rim! I'm not recommending that you all follow suit, but I think I've got this issue pretty-much cracked, and of course 'to each their own'. Boy I think Mother Honda were really stupid fitting such an over-sized tire, when they could have just gotten away with a bicycle tire! The roads are so much smoother over here, so I figure the tire really doesn't need to be as robust as the one they specified.
tbird71 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:52 pm
Good as yours may be, I'm guessing you only have a 6 month or 1 year warranty at best
so go ahead horse that thing out after it dies and install a new one
...Nope, the Motobatt has a two year warranty, but ironically it's likely to both outlive your undersized battery by a huge margin, and not be anywhere as likely to leave me stranded as yours, because it is being used well within specification, not outside of it's specification.
tbird71 wrote:
Mine as a THREE year warranty, I have had these in my HD for over 5 yr now with no problems
whatsoever
...The more astute among you might notice that a Hardly is not a GL1500. The hardly probably does not struggle for a spark when the battery voltage dips below 11 Volts, where conversely the GL1500 does.
A smaller capacity battery's voltage will dip under duress much more readily than a larger capacity battery of similar construction, just as sure as a 1/2 ton pickup truck will dip down more when carrying a few hundred pounds, compared to a 1 ton pickup carrying the same load.
... Please write to your battery manufacturer, and ask them if their three year warranty still stands when someone knowingly miss-uses the wrong (too small and rated only at 2/3 capability of the original OEM battery) model on a GL 1500? (actually I might do this myself just for a laugh).
tbird71 wrote:
If you live up north or ride in cold weather I could see where you might want a bigger
batt, but I have no need for anything more, to each his own
I'm done horsing the huge ill fittin original size out. To each his own
...I totally understand that colder climates call for more stressful and prolonged cranking, when the battery chemistry is inefficient, and the oil is cold and viscous. I don't think however that fitting an undersized battery on a GL1500 is a particularly clever idea for anyone.

I honestly wish you many miles of trouble-free and safe riding; nobody likes to get stranded.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

"Ill fitting stock batteries".

Batteries are snug fitting for a reason. To keep them from flopping around inside the box. I'll keep my properly fitting stock battery thanks.

tbird71

Post by tbird71 »

...The more astute among you might notice that a Hardly is not a GL1500. The hardly probably does not struggle for a spark when the battery voltage dips below 11 Volts, where conversely the GL1500 does.

Well, it's obvious you know nothing about an HD, and have never owned one. Takes much more voltage to crank one of them over. But expected sarcasm from folks like you who only know so much.
But that's beside the point. I was just posting an alternative to the huge stock battery that worked for me,
that's all. I'll be back in 3 years with an update as to how it held up.

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman »

tbird71 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:55 am
Well, it's obvious you know nothing about an HD, and have never owned one. Takes much more voltage to crank one of them over. But expected sarcasm from folks like you who only know so much.
But that's beside the point. I was just posting an alternative to the huge stock battery that worked for me,
that's all. I'll be back in 3 years with an update as to how it held up.
tbird71, In my opinion you are frankly an idiot, and a presumptuous one at that! You seem to have very little grasp of anything much, and that is coming over here LOUD AND CLEAR.
-You started out by betting my battery had a six month warranty... you were wrong.
-You then tell me it's obvious I know nothing about HD's, and have clearly never owned one... WHAT THE HELL do you know about what bikes I currently or have previously owned beyond the GL1500 in my signature?
-Then you tell me a Harley needs 'much more voltage to crank one of them over'... you clearly have little to no understanding of any electrical theory, and seem to also be able to make a one line statement that summarizes 55 years of Harley engineering of any electric start model (1965 onward) from say a 1970 ShovelHead, carb and points-ignition engine to a fuel-injected and electronic ignition Milwaukee Eight.
-And thus we come full circle, to someone who would put a battery of two-thirds the recommended AH capacity and CCA into a Large Cruiser of a bike designed for a much more substantial battery, and have it rattle around in the battery holder.

I look forward to the time you are 100 miles from home, in the dark and rain, you press the start button, and just hear 'click'. (What an AssHat)
Last edited by Sadanorakman on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Sadanorakman wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:43 am

… The hardly probably does not struggle for a spark when the battery voltage dips below 11 Volts, where conversely the GL1500 does.
Well, I've seen mine run well even when my alternator failed and I would ride 10-15 miles between jumps (buddy with broke leg followed group in his Celica and he stayed back with me to provide jumps, it was raining so I kept all fuses in) to recharge, I'd pull over to jump when DCv was in the 8s (less than 9vDC on my volt meter I had installed) from mm195 (Orchard Gap in Va.) to 268 (Benge Gap & Park Vista in NC) on BRP. Then each time I stopped for a charge, I cut my engine and when charged for about 10 minutes, restart and pull cables and we'd take off again. It died when dipped below 8vDC while I was checking in at the motel. I swapped alternators next AM before I had coffee, that same Odyssey battery had comeback on it's own and had the juice to start it with no jumping.
Last edited by CrystalPistol on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Wing--Man
Motorcycle: Its-A-Wing--Man

Post by Wing--Man »

WOW!
When I joined this group it felt like everyone was calm, cool and mature.
The past 8 or 10 months seems there is more friction than metallic brake pads.

I have read through several Harley forums and they have this "hard-ass, tart attitude" (HATA).
I have seen this grow in a few other threads, here in Goldwingdocs, but more so in this thread.
HATA almost always brings down others to their lower level of vocabulary and attitude.
I for one do not care for it, for it creates strife and resentment and takes some time to go away.

Like the Honda motto says, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda".
Not only does this begets friendly conversations, I for one prefer that Honda motto.

I do not need to tell anyone where to go, they already know where they should be.
______

An old-OLD motto: "Loose battery, will crack".
:(
It is good we have dreams, for if they were real, most would not be alive.
Smile for yourself next time you wake up, you have another fine day to live.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I agree, just because you disagree does not mean you should attack a person or call names.

That said:

- It is clear that the GL1500 is extremely demanding of batteries. Even the OEM battery is just barely capable of running the bike consistently. Any degradation of the battery will cause starting issues. Low voltage will cause the bike to not run at all, where other bikes could run (albeit poorly) at the same voltage. The GL1500 is a power-hungry beast. The amount of current required to crank AND spark the plugs at the same time is immense. GL1500's with weak batteries will crank, but not spark at the same time.

- Putting a battery that has less CCA and overall AH capacity than specified by the manufacturer in a bike that is already barely capable with the OEM battery is not the smartest move, regardless of the reason for doing so. The CCA specification is when the battery is NEW, fully charged, and at optimal temperatures. As the battery ages, available CCA decreases. You are going to find yourself one cold morning in the near future with a bike that might crank, but won't start.

- The original poster is absolutely 100% free to do as he wishes with his own bike. He should not be telling other people it's a great idea when he doesn't really know how well it works (pretty much ANY new battery will work well, for a while). Other people have explained to him why it is a bad idea, and qualified their opinions. Anyone who reads through the thread should be able to make an informed decision based on these qualifications.

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman »

I have little to no tolerance of people who don't know me from Adam, yet presume to tell me what experience and knowledge I clearly must have.

My first post was pretty jovial to be honest, but clearly the original poster didn't like to hear that his 'genius' idea was not so well-advised... Reminds me of a monty python scene involving a certain black knight having his limbs chopped off... Denial anyone?

Thus having received some arguably good advice, he could have just had the humility to come back and say: 'Well you know what, now you've pointed that out, I'll see how I go with this under-rated battery, and let you guys know how it pans out', or 'thanks for the heads-up, I'll buy a lithium booster pack to carry just in case I need to use it some day.

But no, he starts making assumptions about how poor the warranty must (obviously?) be on a motorbatt compared to his marvellous battery and it's 3 year warranty, and insisting it's still a really great idea to fit a grossly under-rated part.

Incidentally, the powerfart battery that the o.p. raves about is actually only 12AH rated over 10 hours, not the 14 that I incorrectly stated earlier. That is less than half the AH rating of the motobatt. Also I can't seem to access a datasheet for it anywhere: Given this, I wouldn't buy it for my lawnmower, let alone my gold wing.

I've stated my case. If you come here posting a topic, why just not have an ounce of humility over the replys you may receive?

Very sorry I reverted to a little sarcasm to make my point I must nip off now, and fit that bicycle tire to my front wheel.