Wanting to stall without full choke

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Wanting to stall without full choke

Post by tsandvik »

I am about at my wits end. Took the beast out for a test run yesterday after rebuilding most everything.
After warm up was initially able to get the RPM's to hold at 1000 at stops without stalling. Rode for about 15 miles when engine started surging badly. Stall when clutch pulled in. Had to pull out choke to full and get it to stay at 2000 to 2500 RPM to limp it home. Even at that it wanted to cut out at every stop and had poor acceleration. Had to further rev the engine to get moving once stopped.
I have replaced every vacuum line I could find when I replaced the engine.
Carburetor has been rebuilt with total kit.
The fuel petcock holds a vacuum.
Ran one tank of Seafoam and now running one with Berryman B12. Same results using both.
The only vacuum line I did not replace is the one that activates the petcock. Is it possible that this line has a leak that shows intermittently? Anyone have an idea what this line should read for vacuum when bike is running? I can test this but without a baseline it would not tell me anything.
Going to try hook fuel line directly from filter to the carb intake line to see if that makes any difference.

Any ideas? I am just about fresh out of them.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Wanting to stall without full choke

Post by virgilmobile »

When I got my 1500 it would not idle.
Best I could do was 3/4 choke and 2500 rpm.Both slow speed jets were plugged.
But first..you can bypass the fuel shutoff valve to test.Also run it with the gas cap loose.Listen if it relieves pressure or sucks air in.The cap can have a stuck valve in it.
The vacuum line for the valve can become hard and leak right where it attached to the intake pipe.I normally don't check vacuum because it pulses with that cylinder.I pull a vacuum on the line and see if the valve holds it.

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik »

Thanks.
I just tested the petcock and it holds vacuum just fine. Put a vacuum line and gauge on the line to the petcock and it comes back with 15 to 25 lbs depending on engine rpm. Put vacuum on petcock and ran without the original line. Ran fine after warm up. However kept it at 1000 to 1200 rpm and ran for an hour. At one point it gave a big surge like it did yesterday and suddenly the idle could be set down to 800 with no problems. Got a feeling something got cleaned out in the carb that might have been causing problems.
Going to put a new fuel filter in tomorrow just to be safe. This one is rather new but who knows what could be trapped after sitting for awhile. Fuel tank cap is now being soaked in a big can of carb cleaner. Will take it out tomorrow and put back on.

FWIW: Think after doing a few test levels that the petcock needs about 15 pounds to open properly.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

Sounds like you have it under control.
Keep us posted.
It doesn't take much crud to plug the slow jets.