Final drive clunk

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingthing88
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Final drive clunk

Post by wingthing88 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:53 am

On my previous topic loud clunk after take off I found the problem to be the nut that holds the pinion joint to the pinion had come off. This has caused damage to the pinion joint and drive shaft. After reinstalling the pinion joint and torqueing it to 40 ftlbs the problem is no longer there on acceleration but is now occuring on heavy deceleration. Now I need to take it all back apart and replace the two damaged parts but I need to know what the correct torque is for the pinion joint nut. Since the pinion uses shims to set gear lash I shouldn't have to go through the process of a rebuild it should jus be a torque setting. Also has anyone ever had this problem before? New parts are going to be a little over $200.00 so I've been looking for a used final drive and drive shaft with no luck. Does anyone happen to have an idea for a source?

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Re: Final drive clunk

Post by bellboy40 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:24 pm

wingthing88 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:53 am
On my previous topic loud clunk after take off I found the problem to be the nut that holds the pinion joint to the pinion had come off. This has caused damage to the pinion joint and drive shaft. After reinstalling the pinion joint and torqueing it to 40 ftlbs the problem is no longer there on acceleration but is now occuring on heavy deceleration. Now I need to take it all back apart and replace the two damaged parts but I need to know what the correct torque is for the pinion joint nut. Since the pinion uses shims to set gear lash I shouldn't have to go through the process of a rebuild it should jus be a torque setting. Also has anyone ever had this problem before? New parts are going to be a little over $200.00 so I've been looking for a used final drive and drive shaft with no luck. Does anyone happen to have an idea for a source?
I am attaching a picture of the final drive with the torque specs. I believe the one you are referring to is supposed to be 80 ft-lbs. For a final drive, you could check ebay or any dismantlers in your area to see if they have one.

1500 final drive
1500 final drive

wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:15 pm

Thank you very much. That is most helpful.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Since it was run without proper pinion bearing preload, it really should come apart for a full inspection. Then reset the pinion preload, gear backlash and contact pattern. I would want new pinion bearings at a minimum. Depending on how long it ran that way you might discover it has a lot more damage than you think. Sourcing a good used drive might be the most economical repair.

wingthing88

Post by wingthing88 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:25 am

Thanks. I think I would rather spend the money to rebuild it if necessary. I have a severe aversion to used drive line parts. My 30+ years in the automotive industry has steered me away from used and I have the necessary skills to do it myself that saves alot of money.