Wind noise and buffeting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
oldcase
Motorcycle: 1979 gl 1000
1997 GL 1500 SE
1980 Suzuki 750

Wind noise and buffeting

Post by oldcase »

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone on this site for sharing their immense knowledge and wisdom about everything Goldwing. It has made my first year returning to riding much more enjoyable and less stressful.
My current difficulty, and I must admit that it is my problem--not the bike, is the at times i experience extreme wind noise and helmet buffeting. I am 6'8" so I sit somewhat high in the saddle. My current helmet is a new Scorpion exo r410. My '97 1500 has a windshield that measures 24" from the top of the chrome at the bottom of the windshield to the top of the windshield. It has no vent. On calm days or when going with the wind, it isn't bad, but Kansas has lots of wind and it seems rarely to be blowing in the right direction. My question, how do I get the most improvement for my money, a different helmet, install a vent in the current windshield, install a windshield extension, or a new windshield, and if the latter, which one is best for the money or is there another answer? Thank you for your consideration.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Wind noise and buffeting

Post by Rambozo »

Do the easy things first. Try adjusting your windshield up and down to see if you can get some relief in the stock adjustment range.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

if you can't make the current windshield suit your needs,

please investigate www.Madstad.com

I put one on my 1800, and wish I had done it years ago, would have saved me a lot of money.

want it low on a nice spring day? loosen two screws and lower it down to the bottom.

Icey cold sleet hitting you in the face?
Loosen two screws and pull it up over your helmet.

In all cases, the screen is adjustable "front to back", that is, it tilts.
you must experience this screen to understand how great it is.

CycleMax is the only vendor for the 1500s.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... eld/332249

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Bigbiker0
Motorcycle: 1997 gl 1500 se

Post by Bigbiker0 »

oldcase wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:14 pm
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone on this site for sharing their immense knowledge and wisdom about everything Goldwing. It has made my first year returning to riding much more enjoyable and less stressful.
My current difficulty, and I must admit that it is my problem--not the bike, is the at times i experience extreme wind noise and helmet buffeting. I am 6'8" so I sit somewhat high in the saddle. My current helmet is a new Scorpion exo r410. My '97 1500 has a windshield that measures 24" from the top of the chrome at the bottom of the windshield to the top of the windshield. It has no vent. On calm days or when going with the wind, it isn't bad, but Kansas has lots of wind and it seems rarely to be blowing in the right direction. My question, how do I get the most improvement for my money, a different helmet, install a vent in the current windshield, install a windshield extension, or a new windshield, and if the latter, which one is best for the money or is there another answer? Thank you for your consideration.
I had a good improvement with ear plug .
Drive safely Heaven do not exist.

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

Looks like the Madstad offered on Cyclemax site is for the shield only? What about the frame which need to go with it if you start from scratch?

Thanks.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

You could get a car ! It's a motorcycle, expect wind !!
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra »

Like Rambozo said start off with the easy thing first. Try raising the shield up then start looking at other solutions. To bad you don't live closer, I just changed out my windshield this past weekend for a smaller one. The one that came with the bike was way to big for me and I kept hitting my head on it getting on and off the trike. It might be just right for you and it has a vent in it.

I went with the Long Ride Shields Taka, it is a re-curve style windshield. The only reason I went with the Long Ride Shields is because I have had them on my Harley's for years and really liked them. I also have a vent in mine. There are a lot of choices and solutions out there, unfortunately it is more of a trial and error.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

oldcase
Motorcycle: 1979 gl 1000
1997 GL 1500 SE
1980 Suzuki 750

Post by oldcase »

Thank you very much for your recommendations. My main concern is one of safety. I have never encountered this severe form of buffeting before on other bikes or anywhere. Thank you again.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

My .02 cents, , , ,

Trust what AZgl1800 (John) says about the Madstad, , ,he knows of what he speaks. The cost of a new windshield is something only YOU can make a decision about. . .

HOWEVER, , I also endorse the FIRST attempt to resolve this issue should be to raise that windshield as high as possible. Check out the DIY section about windshield removal, its a good one and has lots of pictures. NOTE: when you get to the point of loosening the windshield, you'll find "slotted caps/spacers" with JIS screws. Those "slotted caps/spacers" should be put in the exact same slot when you re-assemble the windshield.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Elmobile wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:21 am
Looks like the Madstad offered on Cyclemax site is for the shield only? What about the frame which need to go with it if you start from scratch?

Thanks.
Reading on their web site, looks to me like it's all included there.

Hard to sell a windshield that doesn't mount.
The MadStad system consists of a base windshield in gloss black (it replaces your factory windshield), our patented adjustable brackets that bolt to this base shield, and then the new windshield which attaches to our brackets. Your factory windshield adjustment levers will not be used, meaning that once you attach our base shield in place of your stock shield, it will simply sit in the lowest position. Height (and now also angle) adjustments are made on our brackets. These windshields are available in three different heights and six different colors. Be sure to select the correct combination when ordering. The chart below is a guideline based on the height of the rider. This will fit all Goldwing GL1500's from 1988-2000.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra »

for what it's worth, I finally had time to get out and ride yesterday and was quite pleased with the new windshield. Weather was great and the wife and I went out to dinner on the trike. There was no buffering yet i had plenty of air through the vent cooling me off and I was very comfortable all day. Last night when we got home I point asked the wife if she had any issues with buffeting or air and she said no that it didn't even come to mind.

Again though you will have to decide what works for you the best.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

bluthundr31 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:44 pm
My .02 cents, , , ,

Trust what AZgl1800 (John) says about the Madstad, , ,he knows of what he speaks. The cost of a new windshield is something only YOU can make a decision about. . .

HOWEVER, , I also endorse the FIRST attempt to resolve this issue should be to raise that windshield as high as possible. Check out the DIY section about windshield removal, its a good one and has lots of pictures. NOTE: when you get to the point of loosening the windshield, you'll find "slotted caps/spacers" with JIS screws. Those "slotted caps/spacers" should be put in the exact same slot when you re-assemble the windshield.
Let me add that those JIS screws are very likely going to be really tight. You need a good fitting screwdriver, preferably a JIS type, to keep from messing up the screw head slots. If you have an impact driver that would work well to break them loose. Another option that I have used is to clamp a vice grip on the head of the screw to break it loose.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

oldcase wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:52 pm
Thank you very much for your recommendations. My main concern is one of safety. I have never encountered this severe form of buffeting before on other bikes or anywhere. Thank you again.
Howdy oldcase
Looking at your profile, you had a gl1000 and a gs750?
The GL1500 is a bigger machine to say the least and has much protection from the elements but it won't control all the wind especially in the high wind conditions, no matter what you go with for a windshield to correct the buffeting. The wind will always hit in multiple directions, sideway winds will always kick ya hard.
As to headwinds, a 2 piece windshield is far better than a vent on a stock style, 1 piece windshield as you have. The space between the 2 screens give a change in airflow to up over most heads. I have a Windbender on my 1800 and regret not getting one on my 1500, as I had thought about doing, but went a cheaper route with a curved V-Stream(it was not a good choice as it flexed at highway speeds and high winds across the country, the 1500 got totaled before I got around to changing to the Windbender and I replaced with the 1800). The Windbender has helped me with less buffeting for most headwinds.
As John said the Madstad is very adjustable to help move, deflect the air around you to help lessen wind buffeting. They adjust not only up and down, but also have forward adjustability on the outer screen. I didn't learn of them until after my purchase of the Windbender and would have gone with the Madstad instead had I known of them.

As another option, albeit much more $$$, get a test ride on a new 1800 with the electric windshield and for your tall stature, more room for your legs. I have a friend who is 6' 7" and he says he is far more comfortable on his 2018.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

Here you can see the 2 piece Windbender on my 1800. It has their shortest recurve top shield(I'm a short 5'10"), in the lowest setting for summer riding. They offer taller top screens for taller riders as you are. I think Madstad offers taller top screens also.

Hmm. Just searched the Madstad site, looks like they might have stopped production of the 1500 screens. Contact them to see if they can help you out.

https://madstad.com/collections/honda?s ... -ascending

Windbender does still offer for the 1500 at this point in time....

http://www.firecreekacc.com/models.htm
Attachments

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

As to wind noise, the first review of your scorpion helmet is poor noise reduction.

Get an Arai to fit your noggin. Unlike most helmet makers, Arai makes different shape helmets for different shaped noggins. You can't fit a helmet very well online.
Attachments

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker »

I have this on my 06 Gl1800. Easy riding most of the time. Take a look, see if it may work for you. https://www.longrideshields.com/collect ... dwing-1800

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 »

Be careful about buying a taller windshield.. the angle of my 97 Aspencade 's fairing mounted windshield, makes me be cautious when mounting the bike- the top edge can bang into my head!

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Post by Fatboy46 »

My brothers GW1800 trike kit has a plexiglass device behind the passenger-before the top trunk that is supposed to help with buffeting the passenger. similar to the devices Mercedes uses in their convertibles on the back of the headrests