What would you do with this opportunity?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
LesterF
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1984 GL1200 Interstate

What would you do with this opportunity?

Post by LesterF »

Okay...new to the forum but not to Goldwings...

This is my 3rd 1200 and 4th GW (started with an 1100). Just hauled it home from a Craigslist buy. Bike runs, but needs some work, obviously. I have all the body parts, and will be painting whilst the bike is stripped down.

My 3rd GW ('86 Aspencade, fully dressed) is sitting with a dead stator, after I had a new stator put in (new stator died already). The latest GW is an '84 interstate...anyone see any problems using parts from the '86 to fix up the '84?

Also, electrically I have two goals before I put it all back together....minimize the chance of another stator burnout, and converting the lighting over to LEDs. I'm thinking of adding another junction box to facilitate changing and adding lighting. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BTW...my goal here is not to make a perfectly stock bike...I want something both rideable and reliable. So I'm really open to non-stock modifications.

Thanks in advance.

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Re: What would you do with this opportunity?

Post by aj1500 »

I had my 86 Aspy 1200 for almost 7 years, I always said if the stator went I would put the poor boy kit on it. as it turns out it never failed. have you already soldered the 3 wires at the plug on the side. also converting as many lights as possible to LED is a great idea. not sure I see a need for another box for the lights as converting them to LED greatly reduces your draw in the original wiring .
if I had a 1200 now with a dead stator I think I would be more inclined to install the poor boy than break it down and replace the stator again. just my thoughts
I'm sure a lot of the parts from the 86 will fit the 84 as far as covers and such, not too sure once you get into wiring and motor parts
either way good luck with it

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra »

Depending on how you are planning on doing the LED conversion you may need a load balancer or you can run a separate circuit for the LED lights. I just sold my '92 HD FXDC (Custom super glide) when I bought it, it had a small tail light and that was it for both tail and stop. I wanted to be a bit more visible so I decided to run the strip LED lights under the bags. I quickly learned that the stock system and the LED were not compatible. Either the LED or the stock light would work but not both. So I went down and to the local parts shop bought 2 relays (1 for tail and 1 for brake) and wire them up separate to the bikes main system. Has worked great for the last 3 years.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

I believe that the location of the pulse generators on an '84 are in the rear of the engine whereas they were 'moved' to the front starting in '85. This may or may not be a problem for what you're doing. Others will no doubt chime in here. Good luck.

Ron in AZ
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Post by Old Fogey »

landisr wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:49 pm
I believe that the location of the pulse generators on an '84 are in the rear of the engine whereas they were 'moved' to the front starting in '85. This may or may not be a problem for what you're doing. Others will no doubt chime in here. Good luck.

Ron in AZ
Yup, correct. The '84 was a one year only engine. A whole lot was changed for the '85 on models. Starter motors for instance are almost impossible to find for it.

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

( Seriously, you haven't read all 115 pages of my http://www.wingovations.com website ?? :shock: )