Oil being thinned by fuel?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Wing--Man
Motorcycle: Its-A-Wing--Man

Oil being thinned by fuel?

Post by Wing--Man »

Viable answers only please. I have no interest in immature, sarcastic and pointless rhetoric.

Is it possible for fuel to get into the crankcase other than intake to cylinders then past the rings?
My issue is the oil is only lasting 1500 to 2000 miles.
I have used 4 different manufactures of oil and synthetics, eliminating that possibility.
It is still clear like new but the shifting is like the oil is worn out and dirty which creates quite a drag while shifting gears.

At startup there is not a hint of a hydro-locked cylinder.

The coolant and oil are not mixing nor does the oil smell like gas.
But that fuel smell may not be present since it is likely to be evaporated off during use.

I disassembled and checked the petcocks fuel shutoff diaphragm, no hole.

I am not a Harley gear masher but a light or easy gear shifter.
I shift softly and feel the internal parts as they mesh. (And yes, I do sometimes get the Gear Dogs buzzing)
New oil it is silky smooth, as it gets old and used, more toe pressure is needed for both up-shift and down.
I do not want the early 1500s 4th gear issue, tho it is "supposed to have been" remedied. I have read some post 1997 Gl1500 owners have this issue.

What else... New to me last year 2000SE at 18,000 miles, always garage kept, clock now shows 50,000.

Ideas or thoughts appreciated.

It is good we have dreams, for if they were real, most would not be alive.
Smile for yourself next time you wake up, you have another fine day to live.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Re: Oil being thinned by fuel?

Post by MikeB »

Wing--Man wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:29 pm
The coolant and oil are not mixing nor does the oil smell like gas.
IF there is fuel in the gas, you will smell it. The fuel odor will not dissipate out of the oil.

If you believe the oil is failing, have the oil analyzed. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

2003Cobra
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800 with a CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster
1985 Honda Saber VF1100 (Non-runner)

Post by 2003Cobra »

To answer your question yes fuel can get into the crankcase. Normally you will see a rise on the oil dip stick if fuel is getting in there, although if it is a daily driver and it isn't sipping that much you may have a hard time telling but the issue is that if fuel is getting in there it is cutting the lubrication quality of the oil and hens putting more wear on the engine. The most probable cause it a stuck float or dirt holding a needle valve open. You will need to pull the carbs and remove the float bowls to check this. I have also seen a aftermarket fuel pump put out to much pressure and cause this as well but then engine also ran poorly due to flooding. Hope this gave you some insight and Good luck finding the cause.
2003 Goldwing GL1800 with CSC Cobra trike kit.
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 with Hypercharger Bobber.
West GA Chapter 89 Southern Cruisers riding club.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

2003Cobra wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:17 pm
To answer your question yes fuel can get into the crankcase. Normally you will see a rise on the oil dip stick if fuel is getting in there, although if it is a daily driver and it isn't sipping that much you may have a hard time telling but the issue is that if fuel is getting in there it is cutting the lubrication quality of the oil and hens putting more wear on the engine. The most probable cause it a stuck float or dirt holding a needle valve open. You will need to pull the carbs and remove the float bowls to check this. I have also seen a aftermarket fuel pump put out to much pressure and cause this as well but then engine also ran poorly due to flooding. Hope this gave you some insight and Good luck finding the cause.
Except...he asked:
Is it possible for fuel to get into the crankcase other than intake to cylinders then past the rings?
So if you rule out leaking through carbs and into the cylinders, then no, there is no other way for fuel to make its way into the crankcase.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Is there any evidence other than 'seat of the pants' diagnosis that the oil is losing its properties?
The only other contaminate I can think of is clutch fluid leaking into the oil and causing problems.
How is your clutch fluid level?
If it is clutch fluid, you face certain engine bearing failure.
Have the oil analyzed if you believe the oil is being contaminated or degraded.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

You may also want to check the level in your clutch master cylinder. Small amount of DOT 4 fluid can drip in your transmission if the O ring in the slave clutch cylinder starts to fail. It is a known cause of failure which can have nasty consequences for your transmission...
Cheers.

Wing--Man
Motorcycle: Its-A-Wing--Man

Post by Wing--Man »

Clutch level never changes, forgot to add that to the main post. GOOD CATCH.

Tho the bike does run rich, just might be a high float.
I know that if there is a rich mixture the extra droplets do slide past the rings.
Since the oil goes bad slowly that is a high possibility.

It is good we have dreams, for if they were real, most would not be alive.
Smile for yourself next time you wake up, you have another fine day to live.