Tires and Brake Pads

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Ed Brock
Motorcycle: 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GD
1998 1500 SE

Tires and Brake Pads

Post by Ed Brock »

I know, at least for me, this topic is very opinionated. I'm talking about brands of tires and brake pads. On our Cavalcade the brand of tire that worked the best for our 12 month a year riding style, meaning lots of rain and touring, Avon Cobra's got great mileage and lots of wet weather grip. Also I have found that DP Brake HH pads are excellent. Again, on our Cavalcade, for the way we ride, most times two up and loaded, in lots of rain.
Well, now we have a 1998 1500 SE, and a Cade to rebuild. I have gotten lots of good information on this site, thank you all. So here's my question; has, anyone installed Avon tyres on their 1500 Wings? What model and what are your opinions? It seems that Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin tires appear to brands installed the most in our neck of the woods, Oregon.
What about DP Brake pads? I am thinking about using their SDP HH rated pads on the front and their regular DP pads on the rear. Again would like to hear from the members. My personal opinion I;s I don't like EBC brakes. They are very poor when first installed and for about 1,500 after that, and slowly get sort of okay. Again, I know this is a love or hate subject. But I would like to hear your opinions and why.
Thanks for your time and information
Ed

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: Tires and Brake Pads

Post by bellboy40 »

I have been using the Avon Venoms on my previous GL1200 LTD and now my GL1500 SE for many years. I too find they have great traction in both dry and wet conditions. I have been getting somewhere around 15 to 18 thousand miles on them. I liked them a lot but they stopped selling them and now we have the Avon Cobras. I have a set of them on the 1500 now and they are doing well but don't know for sure if the wear will be the same or not because I have not got that many miles on it since installing them. From what I see so far, I would recommend them for your 1500.
As for the brake pads, I have been using the Honda brake pads and not the aftermarket ones so I can't comment on the DP pads.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

For brake pads, I prefer the stock organic pads. They have been hard to beat for performance and I don't have to worry about them ruining the discs, like some metallic pads will do. The absolute best tire for a 1500 is the Austone( IMHO), but I've also had great results with the Bridgestone Excedra Max radials.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK »

minimac wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:23 am
For brake pads, I prefer the stock organic pads. They have been hard to beat for performance and I don't have to worry about them ruining the discs, like some metallic pads will do. The absolute best tire for a 1500 is the Austone( IMHO), but I've also had great results with the Bridgestone Excedra Max radials.
I am with minimac on the pads, stock Honda pads are kind to the rotors, never needed more than 1 finger to brake, so I stick with them.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Round tires and flat brake pads.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I too used Avon Venoms for many years on many bikes, with excellent results. When they stopped making the Venoms, I went through a set of Cobras, and I have a Cobra on my front wheel now. I have an Austone Taxi Tire on my rear, and it is so far superior in terms of roadholding, particularly in the wet.

For brakes, I use Honda OEM. They are powerful, don't fade, last long, don't damage the rotors, and don't make anywhere near as much dust as some of the aftermarket options (particularly EBC).

Ed Brock
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:58 pm
I too used Avon Venoms for many years on many bikes, with excellent results. When they stopped making the Venoms, I went through a set of Cobras, and I have a Cobra on my front wheel now. I have an Austone Taxi Tire on my rear, and it is so far superior in terms of roadholding, particularly in the wet.

For brakes, I use Honda OEM. They are powerful, don't fade, last long, don't damage the rotors, and don't make anywhere near as much dust as some of the aftermarket options (particularly EBC).
What is a Austone Taxi tire? I have never heard of that brand. Is it a "dark side tire"???? I miss spoke about the Avon Cobra tire. I also have used the Venoms for years and my last set on our Cade is the Cobra's. They offer the same mileage and grip as the Venoms. Good performing OEM brakes pads? who would have thought.
Ed

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Have a look here for more on the Austone taxi tire: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43183

Ed Brock
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

Thanks for the tire info. I like your review, very detailed.
Ed

Ed Brock
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

Opps, I forgot to ask, Do you still run the Taxi tire? What are you current impressions on that tires handling?
Ed