Broken shock mount

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Blakers
Motorcycle: GL1500

Broken shock mount

Post by Blakers »

While removing the air shock for service, I broke the casting where the lower shock mount attaches to the rear wheel differential housing.

Not a good day.

My bike is a 2000 and until this mistake has been responding well to my maintenance attempts, then this happens.

Anyone experience this? Looking for best way to proceed.

Blakers

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Broken shock mount

Post by Rambozo »

Photos?

Probably easiest to replace the final drive unit with a used one.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

^ I would agree. Welding cast aluminum can be done but would you trust it?

Blakers

Post by Blakers »

After watching the videos and the step-by-step on the forum, I agree that a complete replacement is the way to go.

My bike is a 2000. Does anyone know what years are compatible with mine?

Blakers

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Just the final drive, then '88 - '00 will work. You'll reuse your drive adapter / wheel / etc. Got three in basement after trike conversions, if we was closer. I'll guarantee there are some near you for the asking.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Blakers

Post by Blakers »

Since the differential housing broke when I tried to remove the lower shock mount, I am having grief on how this set up actually works

The attachment bolt threads into the inner surface but the outer surface, next to the bolt head, appears to be just be a through hole that supports a bushing on the bolt itself. Am I explaining this clearly?

I was expecting the attachment hole on the outside of the attachment point to be smaller, so that it would clinch the lower shock mount.

Sorry if this is confusing, but the piece shattered when I broke it and I am trying to make sure I get all the correct parts for the repair

Blake

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Hi Blake, Welcome to the forum.

First, if you are looking to replace the final drive on your 2000 GL1500, you should look for the newest used final drive you can find. I do not know how Ebay works for you in Canada but that is a good place to start.

If it was me, I would not look for a final drive from a 1988 or 1989 GL1500. They are a little different than the later versions.

From your description of your issue, I assume that the bolt head guide/shock holder on the outboard side of the shock mount of the final drive has broken off. See picture below;

If it were me, I would replace the final drive with a used unit. Used units are relatively inexpensive at about $150 US.

You probably will not need additional hardware when you install the replacement if your original hardware is undamaged. You should be able to use all the original parts. The studs that hold the final drive to the swing arm are screwed into the final drive and held with a thread locking compound. They may work their way out of their threaded holes when you remove the attaching nuts. They can be re-used. Just install them with a thread locking compound.

What you will need is a new drive shaft oil seal, item #15 of the Swing Arm Detail, 91261-ME9-005 OIL SEAL (27X43X7)

A new O-Ring, item #23 of the rear wheel detail, 91358-MG9-003 O-RING (50.5X3.5)
A new O-Ring for the wheel, item #22 of the rear wheel detail, 91302-MA6-003 O-RING (61X2)

MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Blakers wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:49 am
Since the differential housing broke when I tried to remove the lower shock mount, I am having grief on how this set up actually works

The attachment bolt threads into the inner surface but the outer surface, next to the bolt head, appears to be just be a through hole that supports a bushing on the bolt itself. Am I explaining this clearly?

I was expecting the attachment hole on the outside of the attachment point to be smaller, so that it would clinch the lower shock mount.

Sorry if this is confusing, but the piece shattered when I broke it and I am trying to make sure I get all the correct parts for the repair

Blake
You've got it right. The attachment bolt threads into the inner surface, the outer surface just holds/supports the bolt at the outer end. It does not "clinch" the shock mount - the shock mount has to be able to move/pivot on that bolt as the suspension compresses, so it cannot be tightened in there, which would prevent it from moving. Basically, that bolt is a pivot pin that screws into place on one end.

Blakers

Post by Blakers »

Wow. Thanx to all.

I was a bit miffed at myself for screwing this up. Getting this type of detail re-affirms my confidence to continue

I have a unit line up, in Canada, from a low mileage 97. (Possible, when you have snow six months a year) Only problem is that Canada is sorta big and it’s over 2000 miles away, (and I live in central Canada). LOL

Blakers

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

MikeB wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:35 pm

Used units are relatively inexpensive at about $150 US.
I guess I should run these on CL then, ask something for them.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)