left turn bias

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
NevadaDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

left turn bias

Post by NevadaDave »

I recently put new tires on my 99 1500SE, and wanted to try radials, so I got a set of Shinko 890's. They made the bike very responsive, and kind of "tippy" until I bumped the pressure up (bike shop had them at 34 psi). However, new tires did not fix a problem I have had for a while, and that is a noticeable left-turn bias. If I am on cruise control, and let go of the bars, the bike will immediately start going left. If I make a left turn, the bike constantly feels like it wants to "fall into" the turn, requiring constant correction, whereas right turns are very neutral feeling. I realize that this is something kind of alignment issue, but what is there to align?

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: left turn bias

Post by bluthundr31 »

There are too many possible causes, , , but my first thought is,
Have you considered a Fork Brace to stiffen up the front forks and make them more "solid-feeling"?

Maybe consider jacking up the front end and see if you get "wobble" when you force the wheel to the left. Make sure all the bolts/nuts are tightened down correctly.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Maybe take out some of those gold bars you carry around in the left saddlebag?

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

34 lbs is very low (too low imho) a tire pressure but understand why shops do it. When I get my bike inspected they air down my tires the same way. Have you owned this bike for awhile and only just noticed this after mounting up radial tires? Could be when the wheel was reinstalled that it wasn't aligned properly in the forks. If its not correct it could steer to one side like that.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

If the pull to the left was there when you bought it then it was likely wrecked and something is bent. You will be lucky to get 10k miles out of the Stinkos.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

NevadaDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by NevadaDave »

Welllll.... I don’t have any gold bars on the left :D , but I’m going to check for looseness in the steering head (although it has never shown any other indication of looseness) and see if there is a simple way to check alignment.
As far as something bent, Since I have had it, it has always had a left turn tendency, so perhaps something is, in fact, bent. Stay tuned for further developments!

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Some string and a tape measure will let you do a pretty good frame, fork, wheel alignment check. There have been plenty of articles in motorcycle mags about how to do that. I'm sure Google can locate an online version.