Trike kit parking brake

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Trike kit parking brake

Post by agedbikeman »

I have a GL1500 with a tow pac insta trike fitted, has anyone come up with a parking brake system other than a handlebar lever lock. Ideally looking for a gadget I could make.

Any input grateful

Alex

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trike kit parking brake

Post by Rambozo »

Not sure how the extra wheels are setup for that. I take it there are no brakes for those wheels? Maybe a tire scrub type parking brake could be fabricated.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Does the trike have spoked wheels?

maybe you could design a lock like the gendarmes use for cars that have overstayed the parking meter?
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

agedbikeman wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:20 am
I have a GL1500 with a tow pac insta trike fitted, has anyone come up with a parking brake system other than a handlebar lever lock. Ideally looking for a gadget I could make.

Any input grateful

Alex
For "how long" do you need it so secured?
You could place a tire iron across the spokes in the OEM (center) rear wheel (or front wheel I guess), or a chain & lock … or a pair of bright yellow plastic wheel chocks attached to a cable and to the hitch that get drug down the road waiting for use.
Many use the bike's 1st gear …. or shut it off with reverse engaged but that's not really a great idea (IMHO).
Some use a short bungie cord or strong strap with buckles or Velcro wrapped around the front brake lever & grip.

I know it maybe ain't what you want, (but you also say "Any input grateful" …. so which is it I'm left to wonder) but it works well for me.

You can probably disregard reading my post any further.

I use it only to hold trike in place with engine running, like warming up at a motel, etc. I don't need a hard squeeze, gentle will do. When I'm ready, when seated and ready to go, a simple squeeze of brake lever drops the wedge on it's key type ball chain, and away I go. The wedge is made from a small block of aluminum, I also added serrations. The other end of ball chain is simply zip tied to the brake hose, the wedge is always handy if needed.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

agedbikeman
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

Thanks for your input, I thought about your wedge idea but on a quick look I couldn't see any gap that opened when you squeeze the lever, I'm going now to look again and report back. A quick clip at traffic lights and warm up while closing garage is what I want, I've ordered key lock gadget for parking.
Would have been nice to have a real handbrake, but hey ho, insta trike is only a gadget not a real trike.

On a different note you have chrome covers on your fluid reservoirs, are they just slip on covers, if so where did you get them? Here in France there's no wing bling add ons, everything has to come from the states, including my trike kit, no such thing here, not even sure it's legal but insurance co. accepted it as an accessory.

Thanks again
Alex

agedbikeman
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

Thanks all you guys, now got something to chew on

Alex

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

agedbikeman wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:29 am
Thanks for your input … etc ...

On a different note you have chrome covers on your fluid reservoirs, are they just slip on covers, if so where did you get them?
I forgot where it come from, it actually houses 4 switches for do dads. I have them wired through relays to power two driving lights, two forward facing fender lights (amber) and a third controls the running light feed for my trailer The 4th is not in use right now. Clutch res just has a chrome lid on it. Might check Ebay or Amazon. Try searching for
Goldwing switch housing ?

Yeah, mine just slips down over it, but it can be secured with screw.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Yeah, that's it!