Extra Fuel Tank

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Ed Brock
Motorcycle: 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GD
1998 1500 SE

Extra Fuel Tank

Post by Ed Brock »

I'm sure people have installed an extra fuel tank on a GL1500. I don't find any information in the forum. I was thinking about building one and mounting it before the license plate in between the saddle bags. I was thinking about tying into the factory fuel lines and then I could use the factory fuel pump. Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks Ed

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Extra Fuel Tank

Post by bluthundr31 »

There was a discussion about an extra fuel tank in the left saddlebag a while back, , ,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33462

You're the first that I've read who wants to put the aux tank behind the license plate between the saddlebags though.

I'm questioning your success if you try to "tap into the fuel lines" of the existing tank and use the existing fuel pump to access the aux tank. I'm thinking you will need to have an additional fuel pump to empty the aux tank.
I'm not sure that a "gravity fed" line will accomplish what you want, considering where you want to put the tank.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard »

the style of tank you are thinking about was called a tail dragger tank and were made for ST 1100's, fuel lines from the tail dragger tank were tapped into the main tank, a fuel pump was used to get to get gas from the aux tank to the main tank
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

I have an aux tank in my sidecar, couple things you need to keep in mind, one you will need an inline directional check valve to stop gas from being able to go backwards as well as pressure from the bikes tank. next is you can't really tie into the factory fuel lines as all of them come after the stock fuel pump that is in the tank. what you have to do is drill a hole and install a fitting in the top of the bikes tank that you can run your aux fuel line to. be aware your room under the seat is VERY limited for this so placement is important, also you have to not let it flow straight over the pump as it will cause bubbling when transferring gas and put air into the fuel pump and cause it to loose it's prime. and as mentioned you have to use a inline aux elec pump to transfer the gas

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

I agree with the last post.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Ed Brock wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:34 pm
I'm sure people have installed an extra fuel tank on a GL1500. I don't find any information in the forum. I was thinking about building one and mounting it before the license plate in between the saddle bags. I was thinking about tying into the factory fuel lines and then I could use the factory fuel pump. Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks Ed
I know some have done similar on trikes that can dip under 30 mpg fuel mileage. The stock pump is inside the tank, it's a pusher, it pushes fuel from the tank so no, you are not gonna tie into fuel lines so easy. Any additional viable on board extra tanks tied in will need a transfer pump and access to main tank. If you were going to visit a desolate area with no fuel, it would be easier to just carry gas and manually transfer (pour) it to the main tank. Put a hitch rack on & carry 5 gallons there? Put 1 gallon jugs in saddle bags or just tie on under rear top trunk from helmet hangers?

Just don't carry fuel in a jug in a storage place with clothing you want to wear soon.

If a bike, you likely get 40 mpg anyway, even at interstate speeds, and the OEM tank is 6+ gallons. How far do you want to ride without a leg stretch anyway? If it's a matter of forgetting to stop for gas, even if you had 20 gallons total capacity, you'll still forget someday, or the extra tank will be empty because you tired of toting 14 gallons of stale gas around. I've traveled across most of America, never found a space so remote that no fuel was available yet.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:42 pm
If you were going to visit a desolate area with no fuel, it would be easier to just carry gas and manually transfer (pour) it to the main tank. Put a hitch rack on & carry 5 gallons there? Put 1 gallon jugs in saddle bags or just tie on under rear top trunk from helmet hangers?

Just don't carry fuel in a jug in a storage place with clothing you want to wear soon.

If a bike, you likely get 40 mpg anyway, even at interstate speeds, and the OEM tank is 6+ gallons. How far do you want to ride without a leg stretch anyway? If it's a matter of forgetting to stop for gas, even if you had 20 gallons total capacity, you'll still forget someday, or the extra tank will be empty because you tired of toting 14 gallons of stale gas around. I've traveled across most of America, never found a space so remote that no fuel was available yet.
Most 1500s will NOT achieve 40 mpg at "highway speeds".
few do actually. I owned two of them, a 94 and a 98, and both averaged 33 mpg over trips of 4,000 miles. I kept meticulous records on a spreadsheet, which I won't bore you with.
the spreadsheet did an automatic recalculation of AVERAGE MPG => 33.3
and it rarely ever moved more than a few tenths of mpg over the long haul.

on short trips where I was gawking at the fall foliage, never going over 45 mph, yes, my 1500s would hover around 40 mpg. those little short, slow speed trips, are what most people quote when they claim they get 42.x mpg on a 1500..... One trip of 44 mpg, does not even make a burble on the spreadsheet which has over 6,000 miles on it now. I traded for a 1800.

on a trike? the average reports I am seeing are 23-26 mpg.
so his thoughts of adding an extra fuel tank are good.

right now, I carry a 1 gallon, leak proof, plastic Jerry Can in the right saddle bag on my 1800. It has been there for 3 years, and I have never smelled any fumes when opening the trunk. I keep my bike covers and Frogg Toggs in that compartment.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:07 pm

few do actually. I owned two of them, a 94 and a 98, and both averaged 33 mpg over trips of 4,000 miles. I kept meticulous records on a spreadsheet, which I won't bore you with.

on short trips where I was gawking at the fall foliage, never going over 45 mph, yes, my 1500s would hover around 40 mpg. those little short, slow speed trips, are what most people quote when they claim they get 42.x mpg on a 1500..... One trip of 44 mpg, does not even make a burble on the spreadsheet which has over 6,000 miles on it now. I traded for a 1800.

on a trike? the average reports I am seeing are 23-26 mpg.
so his thoughts of adding an extra fuel tank are good.

right now, I carry a 1 gallon, leak proof, plastic Jerry Can in the right saddle bag on my 1800. It has been there for 3 years, and I have never smelled any fumes when opening the trunk. I keep my bike covers and Frogg Toggs in that compartment.
I never wore a bike cover …. and I seldom wear my Frogg Toggs unless it's raining and I'm moving on down the road.
I do know a fellow who bought a new red plastic 2 gallon can, filled it, screwed it tight, wrapped it in a garbage bag & sealed that with several ties, put it in his trailer with his & wife's clothing, and the next day they had to forgo riding to spend the day in a laundromat to get the smell out. He swore it was air tight. He's the only example I know. I too might would carry a gallon can but not with my clothing.

There's highway speeds, & then there's interstate speeds … as we don't have that national 55 mph speed limit no more. You rode two different 1500s over 4,000 mile trips and only saw 33 mpg … in a hurry you were I think. GL1500s do love fuel at much over 3,000 rpm, especially if fighting wind over long expanses of 70-80 (or more) mph. Here, we don't have that so much. I have a trike, and travel almost always 2 up at least, and your 33.3 is even below our normal if I just keep it off the interstate & keep it about 55-60 or whatever slower traffic ahead allows. I live in western part of Virginia, southern end of Shenandoah Valley. We have two interstates and a few primary highways and mountains, hills, curves, and Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive. I check my trike's fuel mileage, I do the math at every fuel stop. I've run some interstate too, but I've never seen just 23-26! :shock: That just sucks. :roll:
Had a friend once go out west on his, he did see 29 as an average, but he was pulling a Dart trailer & was two up. If he's (the OP) seeing those numbers, he still is better off just stopping more often for gas IMHO.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Both of those 1500s had the Tulsa Tall windshields,
and I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 20 years which covered both of the 1500 bikes.

No matter which way you leave Phx, it is 70 mph posted, even faster today I think.
I always set the cruise at the speed limit +5 and left it there.

In Texas, some of the highways are posted at 85 mph, and when I traveled on I-10 I cruised at 85.
and yes, mpg suffered greatly, but I had only one goal in mind, I was hot, and wanted to get home.
I left Corpus Christi headed home, and over-nighted in El Paso, TX.
the next day, I left El Paso at day break and made it home about an hour after dark.

I did NOT slow down....

From Mesa, AZ to Payson, AZ and Flagstaff, AZ it is all up hill gaining altitude,
the 33-34 mpg held true all the time.
I rode those bikes everyday, work/back and it never varied, 33 mpg was all it would do.

My other transportation was a 1 ton dually truck with 4.11 gears, mpg on that was 10-12.

The '94SE was the one that returned close to 44 mpg on a foliage tour with family members with me... no fast running that day.

Every where I have lived in my adult life, has been in the greater southwest, and even here in Oologah, OK about 30 miles north of Tulsa, OK.... there are no speed limits below 65 mph, and once you have seen 400 miles of straight as an arrow highway, you don't slow down to gawk.

My 1800 in WVA returned fairly decent mpg numbers, the cellphone that I had all that info on, crashed on one day, and I lost my Fuelio app information.

Here is a snapshot of the 1800 for the time I have had it.

IF, you traveled side by side with me, I would bet your fuel economy would not be much different than mine.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:45 pm
Both of those 1500s had the Tulsa Tall windshields,
I don't think Tulsa Talls help, but I never tried one. Just what I heard said.
AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:45 pm
IF, you traveled side by side with me, I would bet your fuel economy would not be much different than mine.
On same type bikes, probably so.

You mention Texas, when I was a child they had those signs that changed from a high limit to a lower limit in headlights, it was the '50s. My sister and I would watch close and see them change just as they passed from the headlights glare. I recall two lane roads in Texas with 75 mph limits and a wide shoulder for tractors, farm vehicles, or those slowing to turn in a ranch road or drive way.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

AZgl1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

the Tulsa Tall windshields were just that, very tall,
I am 5' 11" and the windshield was at least 4 inches above my helmet.
I am positive, that had I cut one of the 1500's windshield down to 4" above the dashboard, that the mpg would have improved at minimum of 5 mpg, probably more.

the Tusla Tall windshields are like pushing a sheet of plywood into the wind.

My current 1800 had a very tall windshield on it when I bought it.
sold it after I installed a Madstad which can be lowered to the dash level, or raised up over your helmet. that made a 3-5 mpg improvement on my 1800.

hard to say exactly, because no two trips are under the same conditions.
but usually, I am traveling from point 'A' to 'B' on the freeways and most of them are marked at 75 mph... and I run +3 to +5

https://madstad.com/collections/honda

CycleMax is their vendor https://cyclemax.com/inc/searchresults? ... d&n=461772
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Ed Brock
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

Thanks for all of your input on the extra fuel tank.
I was unaware of the pusher style of fuel pump in the Goldwing. It sounds like building the tank is not the issue, it's the fuel getting into the factory tank without causing cavitation is the main problem. Well now, I need to rethink things.
And no, the problem is not forgetting to stop. If that is the problem, like someone mentioned, it won't matter what size tank you have. Out of fuel is, well, out of fuel.
We were getting 240 miles on our Cavalcade at 60-68 mph. However, engine was very well tuned. At 70 it did drop to 220 miles. The mileage relates to 40 mph and 36 mpg. I'm more interested in how far we go then mpg. It would be nice to go at least 300 miles on a tank of fuel.
My wife is good for about 560-650 mile days for 3-4 days in a row, depending on the condition of the road. I guess I'm blessed, and fortunate at the same time!!!!!
Well time to put on the rethink cap.
Again, thanks for your input.
Ed

Ed Brock
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

I forgot, we have carried a 1 gallon fuel can for a long time, then moved up to 2 gallon can just because. We stopped carrying fuel in a can after building the auxiliary tank on our Cade. We have only used the fuel can 2-3 times for ourselves. Many other people have benefited from our extra fuel however. I even built a long fuel delivery hose and a pump to dispense the fuel to others.
We have been okay on the no fuel smell except one trip in 90 degrees and 1500 miles. Then there was a very little odor inside the saddle bag. It was gone overnight with the can removed. Never, so far, have had any fuel spillage issues.
Ed

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

Another option is to set it up like most twin tank vehicles. Install a second pump in the aux tank and tee the two pumps together. There is usually a check valve in the pump output, but if not add two of them. Then you can switch tanks with a switch by selecting what pump is turned on. You can also install a second fuel sender, so the gauge will also read whatever tank you have selected.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '11 bmw 1200gsa,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f
'06 st1300a

Post by detdrbuzzard »

Ed BrockI re-thought my fuel situation on my wing and got the Mighty ST 1300 then re-thought it on my ST 1300, 7.7 gallons wasn't enough, 10.7 gallons seems about right :)
Attachments

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 ST1300a
.... william

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

A few do actually. I owned two of them, a 94 and a 98, and both averaged 33 mpg over trips of 4,000 miles. I kept meticulous records on a spreadsheet, which I won't bore you with.

Bad for you but I live in Jacksonville, Florida and ride a 92 Interstate. When I ride on the highways here at no more than 70 mph (3,000) rpm, I almost always get 41-42 mpg. It's when I slow for city (stop and go) traffic that my mpg drops to about 36. The 1500s fuel mileage goes down the drain when you cross the 3,000 rpm threshold. And I am 5' 10.5 and have a tulsa tall windshield as well. I have been riding this 1500 for almost six years. I am always riding Patriot Guard missions with a group here and always beat my companions' fuel mileage. They all ride 1800s.I check my mileage at every fuel up. 45 mph might get you 40 mpg if you don't have to slow and then accelerate, like on open road with no stops.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Ed Brock
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

detdrbuzzard wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:37 pm
Ed BrockI re-thought my fuel situation on my wing and got the Mighty ST 1300 then re-thought it on my ST 1300, 7.7 gallons wasn't enough, 10.7 gallons seems about right :)
Now your talking!!!
Ed

Ed Brock
1998 1500 SE

Post by Ed Brock »

Rambozo wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 pm
Another option is to set it up like most twin tank vehicles. Install a second pump in the aux tank and tee the two pumps together. There is usually a check valve in the pump output, but if not add two of them. Then you can switch tanks with a switch by selecting what pump is turned on. You can also install a second fuel sender, so the gauge will also read whatever tank you have selected.
That's "fuel" for thought. (get it) I have looked at the FSM and maybe a fitting can be installed into the factory tank. Top? Maybe on the left side.
An inline fuel pump I think would be best, VS an in tank fuel pump with a momentary on switch so fuel could be pumped into the factory tank. That way a one-way check valve would not be needed. Still thinking this matter through.
Ed

jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Post by jbaviera »

Ed Brock wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:40 pm
That's "fuel" for thought. (get it) I have looked at the FSM and maybe a fitting can be installed into the factory tank. Top? Maybe on the left side.
An inline fuel pump I think would be best, VS an in tank fuel pump with a momentary on switch so fuel could be pumped into the factory tank. That way a one-way check valve would not be needed. Still thinking this matter through.
Ed
I think you'd still want a one-way check valve to the Aux tank. If you have the "draw" tube in the Aux tank, and a "feed" tube that should go to the bottom of the Main tank (to eliminate/minimize fuel bubbling). Without the check valve, when you shut off the Aux pump, the fuel will siphon back to the Aux tank, as it will be lower than the main tank.
Personally, I just carry a one gallon gas can in my RT saddle bag, with my Frog Toggs, bike cover, Go-Pro accessories case, etc.
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

dhubbca
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by dhubbca »

I had a 5.7 gal custom made tank in the right saddle bag just like the photo showed that was plumped into the main tank through a custom gas cap. I also had a backup pump for the occasions when hot temps or elevation caused the vacuum of the main tank to not draw the fuel. Gave me a capacity of 12 gals of fuel and a range of nearly 400 miles. Used that for over 10 years until I sold the bike last Feb. When I was riding and started with full tanks the gas gauge would not show any fuel used until after the first 200 miles and then would read as normal as the main tank was being used. The Aux tank emptied first.

okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

Just wanted to confirm the 24 - 26 mpg on my 92 Interstate trike with Tulsa Tall windshield.............never have seen anything over 26 mpg..........so at 100 miles I start looking for a gas station. One advantage at 72 is that I get to stretch my legs and move around a bit. My other bike is a 94 Yamaha V-Max and it only gets 100 miles per tank so guess I'm conditioned for frequent stops. I initially kept thinking maybe the choke was partially on but no............ and no signs of leaking gas...........so it is what it is, a gas "hog". I bought one of those aluminum "keg" tanks for the V-Max but I can't figure out a good place to mount it on the trike. Gas can in the trailer seems like the best solution for me, as I always take the trailer on long trips.

earlddavis1
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing Trike - 1987 Aspencade, 2007 VT 750 C2F

Post by earlddavis1 »

I have an 87 GL1200 and an 89 GL1500 Trike, I am retired and ride a lot, I do 10k to 20k long hauls a year plus riding locally. I ride hard and fast, as fast as the law will allow plus just a bit. If I am really lucky I can get about 30 mpg. It depends on the terrain, the temp, traffic, am I pulling the trailer. A lot of variables. I have thought about a reserve tank and looked into them. I have decided I need the room, less weight and a reason to stop, other than to pee, every hour and a half or so. I have decided no to the extra fuel.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

I believe that the size of the windshield has a LOT to do with the gas mileage some are getting.
My '99 1500 gets 42 mpg day in and day out, even at highway speeds.
I have made the run from Sudbury Massachusetts to New Jersey several times, mostly on
route 84 at speeds of 75, or even more, and still get the same mileage.
That is a 250 mile ride with only one gas stop about 30 miles short of my destination.
I'm on the short side so I have my stock windshield cut down so that I'm looking just over
the top of it. That is a LOT less air I'm pushing than some of you.
I think that it has a lot to do with the mileage I'm seeing.
As you can see in the picture, my windshield is about 4 inches shorter than stock.
Those Tulsa Tall shields must be like pushing a barn door.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 1994 Yamaha TW200, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."SOLD" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn »

Ed Brock wrote:
Thanks Ed
Ed. A lot of people seem to be taking the hard way around to add an auxiliary fueltank.
A friend of mine has a 1993 GL 1500 he had a fuel tank made to fit in his right side bag. He simply ran a fuel line from it 2 a relatively low pressure fuel pump. And then ran that line into his stock fuel tank on the top of it somewhere. He controlled the auxiliary fuel pump with a toggle switch. When his fuel supply started to run low he simply turned on his auxiliary fuel pump and pump the fuel from his auxiliary tank into his main tank while he was riding and he could watch his gas gauge go up until he pumped his auxiliary tank empty. I think his tank was around 4 1/2 gallons or something like that. So he had a good 10 gallons or more. I am not sure why John's gold wings have always gotten such crappy mileage but my buddies was right around 44 miles per gallon at highway speeds 70 miles per hour or so give or take a couple. My 93 also got right at 45 miles per gallon at interstate and Highway speeds and did better than that when I was going 50 or below. I have a GL 1800 now and it gets 45 miles to the gallon as well. I have a 1994 GL 1500 with a California Sidecar friendship 3 that weighs 300 pounds and I carry a 200 pound passenger . with the trunk full and the motorcycles side bags full and pull a 600-pound quick camp trailer fully loaded and this 94 GL 1500 still gets 32 miles per gallon on the highway. All I can say is John must be very heavy on the throttle and if I had to ride 400 miles on a straight freeway I'd move somewhere else.

Tusler
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Post by Tusler »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:42 pm
Ed Brock wrote:
Thanks Ed
I know some have done similar on trikes that can dip under 30 mpg fuel mileage. The stock pump is inside the tank, it's a pusher, it pushes fuel from the tank so no, you are not gonna tie into fuel lines so easy. Any additional viable on board extra tanks tied in will need a transfer pump and access to main tank. If you were going to visit a desolate area with no fuel, it would be easier to just carry gas and manually transfer (pour) it to the main tank. Put a hitch rack on & carry 5 gallons there? Put 1 gallon jugs in saddle bags or just tie on under rear top trunk from helmet hangers?

LoL 40 mpg are you kidding, I have a 97 1500 and the best I have ever seen is 32 mpg and that was doing 55mph ! normally I run 27 to 30 mpg at 65 to 70 mph on the freeway.

Don't forget to ask Jesus for forgiveness before your last ride! :D