I think I've got a coolant leak

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

I think I've got a coolant leak

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

So, the bike (1994 GL1500SE) has been sitting for a few months and we went to start it for the local Veterans Day parade - did the normal pre-ride inspection and everything looked good. Started it up and let it run while we got suited up and backed it out of the garage.Then we noticed steam coming from the front of the engine, up through the open area around the steering head. It disappeared after a couple of minutes, but the temperature gauge would creep towards the hot end when idling for a few minutes, and drop right back to normal while we're moving. It ran fine to get us to the parade, through the parade, and back home again but I know I've got to address this soon.

There was no indication of a leak on the garage floor so it's a tiny leak - so, is there a "how-to" somewhere that describes what I need to do to find a small leak - most likely a clamp that has loosened up with age? I hesitate to take it to a shop because most places close their doors when they see a sidecar coming!

Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: I think I've got a coolant leak

Post by bluthundr31 »

Sounds like a small leak for sure, , ,remember a while back when you dealt with the water temp sensor?? The sealant/tape on the threads of that sensor would probably be the first place I check for a small drip.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Re: I think I've got a coolant leak

Post by minimac »

I experienced the same. It was a clamp on a hose, but I had to dig deep to find it.