Gear shaft

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Blakers
Motorcycle: GL1500

Gear shaft

Post by Blakers »

Since it is winter where I live, I decided to give my “new to me” 2000 Goldwing a thorough going over.

Figured that I should do the shaft seal on the gear changer.

Great article here in the How To section, but mine doesn’t look like the pictures. Upon closer look, I discover that the PO must have broken his shifter off. The gear shaft, where it exits the block, has a piece of 3/16” plate welded to it (about 1.5” x 3”)

The nub of the old shaft goes through a hole in this plate and then it is welded solid.

The regular bolt on shaft extension snugs down over the old nub and the. It is secured by a Allen head cap screw that goes theogony a hole in the shank of the shifter shaft, into a thread hole on the welded-on plate.

It works but there will be no simple seal replacement.

If I want to fix it right, will I have to drop the engine and split the block?

The whole thing works but it is a little sloppy and leaks a bit of oil (not enough to leave a puddle on floor)

How long can you drive with a sloppy shifter? Bike has about 50K miles on it now.

I’m going to try to learn how to add a picture for more clarity. I wonder if I should invest in the add-on bearing support piece that has proven to be popular here. I can’t change the seal but it could support a weak link a little better.

Thanx, in advance, for your feedback

Blakers

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: Gear shaft

Post by AZgl1800 »

with the user's mods there, is there still a way to install this Pivot to protect the Shifter Forks?

This is the inventor's original post about it https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... st-2707585

http://www.gl1500auxiliaryshifterpivot.com/

this will stop the sloppy feel of the shifter shaft.

the seal still needs to be replaced, but it is not leaking too bad, and this pivot brace were installed, it would not leak as bad, as the shaft would stay put in the center where it belongs.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Love to see the pictures of this previous owner modification.

Look here for a tutorial on how to add pictures to your posts:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5647
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Wow, the heat from welding that plate would likely have destroyed any seal that close. Time to replace the shaft. :x Pictures?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Wow, what a mess. They obviously did that bodge job repair because you DO have to split the case in order to replace that shift shaft. It's part #16 below:

Shifter mechanism
Shifter mechanism

If it were me, not wanting to split the engine case, I'd probably just live with it as is. Without seeing a picture, I can't say if the pivot support would be able to be installed on it - possibly.

The labor costs plus costs of gaskets and other consumables involved in removing/splitting/rebuilding the engine far exceed the cost of a good used replacement engine.

Blakers

Post by Blakers »

Here is my attempt to post a photo.
The first is of the metal plate that has been welded to the broken shifter shaft. (Not an easy place to take a good photo)

The second photo is of the regular extension shift shaft with a hole drilled through it and a bolt that provides additional support when bolted into the welded on plate.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Just guessing, was hard to see in first picture but second picture cleared it up …

That is a real "bodge" in the grandest fashion. You will have to cut that shaft to remove it once the cases are split. Be cheaper to just carry extra oil and just know your left boot won't rust. It doesn't look like it's been leaking, maybe when welded, they spotted it in small sessions … cooling it fast & cold between intending to save seal. If it were mine, I'd leave it be for as long as it works.

The shifter brace would work too as long as the shaft that you have is bolted securely with it's splined clamp directly over where shaft was, and angled correctly. Even if not exact, it could be adjusted I think, it just needs to pivot at same point as shaft exiting the case anyway.
In other words, the brace has a fixed leg and a movable leg. As long as the distance from the pivot to the shaft you have on that bucket lid is same as distance from the shaft exiting the engine / trans case back to that shaft once installed, the brace will let you adjust to find pivot in line with original shaft.

I made my brace myself, it works great, it's almost all steel, I did use a brass bushing as a bearing, so I know it can be done. Study the U-tube or other video of it's working. The brace just provides an extension of an imaginary center line from the shaft that exit's the engine / trans case.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Blakers

Post by Blakers »

Thanx for the pointing arrow on the photo. My skills online ain’t there yet.

I’m going to try to get unde my bike so I hope I have a better look to see if things are lining up like stock. If yeas, I think I will invest in a pivot? Does anyone have any of these used, or is new my only option?

Thanx

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

No real oil pressure there, if it leaks much ... about most it's gonna do is darken your tanned best leather boot left toe and leave a mist on side of cases out of view. The brace deal will really improve shift action.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)