Fog / turn lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Fog / turn lights

Post by agedbikeman »

Hello
I want to put fog lights in my 1995 1500 aspencade that only has blank plates in this position.
I was thinking of not using the proper ones due to the cost of postage and import tax, which is about the same again as the cost of the lights.

Is there any info about what holds the plates onto the fairing, how much room is there behind the blank plates as I don't want to dismantle just to find out what space I have, also are the wires already there.

Thanks in advance
Alex

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Re: Fog / turn lights

Post by Andy Cote »

I installed a set of daytime running lights on m GL1500 a few years back. If I remember they were from Showchrome but I think most brands are similar.

The wiring was already there. There is a relay that is used to provide the on/off function for cornering lights or a jumper that is used for full time running lights. But the original running lights were a lower current draw than the cornering lights. I would be careful of current draw thru this harness. I'm sure someone here has the book and can determine wire and fuse sizes.

The brackets that came with mine attached to the inside of the lower cowl. Instructions said they can be glued or bolted. The lights themselves were held to the brackets with two springs that crossed across the back of the fixture.

Go ahead and remove the lower cowl. It's not hard to do and there is a fair amount of room there. You could easily configure something.

I know you wanted to go thru the cowl but it's also easy to use some common mounts on the engine guards.
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

Thank you , at least i have an idea, i was intending to cut a round hole in the blanking plate and insert one of those lens end spot lights that are on ebay for around 15 pounds j6

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

You can look at the blank plates and see what holds them in, it is the bits of plastic. Lots of room behind it. Only a couple screws holds it on, take it off and check it out, not a big job.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

You can get replacement aftermarket lights that will screw right into that spot:

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... hts/83/321

You can also get them with 50-watt LED bulbs:

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... /83/195210