Stuck starter.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Bygdetroll
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Apencade,

Stuck starter.

Post by Bygdetroll »

Hello! I am new here, but need help and try......Sorry about my english, I am a norwegian living in Spain.
My starter (1993 GL 1500 Aspencade.) stopped working and cabels got very hot. So I demonted and opened it, it was full of dust and **** and the four coal brushes was warn. So I changed the warn parts, cleaned it carefully and reassembeled it. The starter can now not be moved by hand and hardly with a tool. (I did not try this before picking it to pieces.) When I connect it to a battery, it will not move and behaves like it is shortcut. Connections get very hot. I guess that is normal when it do not run. If I demont the reduction gear, hold the rest together and connetct to batteri, it spinns well. Any suggestions?

Hope for answers!

Arnie

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Stuck starter.

Post by dingdong »

I suspect you have reassembled the starter incorrectly somehow. Look at this video.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Bygdetroll
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Apencade,

Re: Stuck starter.

Post by Bygdetroll »

I have studied that film several times. Can not see I am doing anything wrong, but....
1. I feel the coal brushes press harder than I like them to - the starter without the reduction gear spins, but not quite easy. It can be moved by fingers, but needs a lot of force. When I hold this together and apply 12V, it spins.
2. The reduction gear alone, seem to work fine.
3. When I mount the reduction gear on the starter, I need a lot of force to move it. It is not possible with fingers, I need to use a plyer. (Know to be carefully) If I apply 12v, cabels are getting too hot.