fairing marker lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

fairing marker lights

Post by agedbikeman » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:52 pm

1995 1500 Aspencade
Whilste replacing timing belts, I noticed the fairing lights had bulb sockets in the back of them, having never had them out before I thought they were just reflectors.

so I fitted a bulb in one and powered it but no light at the front of the marker light, the bulb was definitely alight. If no light can get through the front lens, why does it have a bulb socket at the back.

I also noticed a 2 connectors in the vicinity of the fog/ turn lights, (never fitted)

What are these for.
Any input appreciated
Alex

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: fairing marker lights

Post by Rambozo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:04 pm

You can swap the reflectors for lights.
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... /83/114969

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:57 pm

From the photos they look chrome. The U.S. bikes has those as orange with the socket on the back and the harness on the bike but no socket or bulb. Most believe this was built this way for some export markets that required lights vs. reflectors. If allowed where you live, you certainly could upgrade to the lights that Rambozo linked to.

Do you have lights in the lower cowl? Some are full time running lights with low wattage halogen bulbs. Others are cornering lights and come on only when turn signals are activated. The cornering lights use a higher wattage incandescent bulb. There is a plug in the harness for either a relay or a jumper depending on which style you have. I can't remember but that could be the plug for the relay and the lights. Do not use the incandescent bulb as full time lights as everything will get too hot. Either bulb can be replaced with LED for improved performance, less current and longer life.
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:44 pm

What color are they?
Often the same molds were used for lights & reflectors, but the reflector has a chrome looking sheet in it which blocks the light from a bulb, but it does add to reflectivity.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:23 am

Thanks for your replies
The marker lights are black on the outer face that is visible, not reflective at all, just thought it wierd that they have a place for a bulb but not able to b e lit, There is a pair of orange ones on ebay, I think I'll buy them and wire them as turn signal I have led bulbs and holders that fit.

Thanks Rambozo for the link, seeing the connector in the cyclemax photo answers my question obout the 2 plugs

I do not have lights in the lower cowl, that's my next job, there are plenty on ebay and I've read the post about led conversion which will be done.

Thanks again for your help