Brake bleeder screw replacement.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Stantheman55
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Gl 1500SE
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Brake bleeder screw replacement.

Post by Stantheman55 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Now that Christmas is over and I got the boxes of Christmas decorations out of the shop and I repaired the size 13 boot hole in the ceiling from slipping off a rafter in the attic I got back to working on the Wing. I started to bleed the rear brake and when I closed off the bleeder screw with a little vacuum still on the hand pump I noticed bubbles in the clear plastic tubing I am using.

The fit over the nipple of the bleeder screw is very tight so I looked at the base of the threads and there corroded and not in good shape. You can tell it’s not seating properly (obviously by the bubbles produced when its closed.)
I tried to order a replacement from mother Honda through Cycle Max and the order form is telling me the part is no longer available. Any ideas for cross over replacement reference with another year or model of Honda. I would have thought that the front and rear bleeder screws would be interchangeable but I guess not. This makes me wonder what other year and model used the same bleeder screw as on my 2000 1500se since their not interchangeable on the same bike….Help please.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort

Re: Brake bleeder screw replacement.

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:18 pm

The front and rear are interchangeable. 8 x 1.25 mm thread. I have replaced many with Speed Bleeders. Check auto Zone for replacements.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:05 am

If you loosened the bleeder then likelier the air bubbles were vacuum pulling air in past the tubing on nipple or past the threads. As to threads, a bit of grease rubbed around the threads will generally cure it.

I've only ever replaced bleeders that were rust clogged (on cars generally) or that got rounded on the hex. I learned to use 6 point sockets or box "bleeder wrench".
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:10 pm

Mike B and Crystal Pistol,
Thank you both for your replies, I am going to look at the speed bleeders to see what they are and look like as I am not familiare with them, Ill keep the grease trick in the back of my mind for future reference. again thanks for your help.
Ride safe
Stan K. Orlando.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Some info on the Speed Bleeders.

They can be purchased through Ebay. They are $7.00 each usually.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Brake-Cl ... Sw~0paNX-8

I really like the speed bleeder bag. The included silicone hose makes an excellent seal around the bleed nipple.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 am

I'm a long time fan of the speed bleeders also. They make bleeding the brakes or clutch a simple one person job. Quick and easy using the speed bleeders along with the bag makes it a no mess job too.

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks again for everyone’s input. After looking at the posted picture I see that this is what I have already not realizing that is what they were called. :o ;)

I have been mulling over the grease on the threads idea for a day or two and once again looking at the picture and reading the post I understand the concept (Dah!!!) :oops: on my part the brain is getting foggy.

I see what’s going on and where the air is coming from around the threads. The grease helps seal the gap so you can pull the fluid through. Gee's it tough getting old. Please continue to be kind to us old guy's we mean well. :roll:
Ok out to the shop to give it a try I’ll let you all know how it goes.
Stan

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:58 pm

The threads of the speed bleeders have a sealant on them. There should be no leakage past the threads.

As a refresher, the reason grease is needed on OEM bleeders for bleeding when you are using a vacuum pump like a Mity-Vac, is to prevent air from passing the threads when the bleed screw has been opened for vacuum bleeding. Air is much thinner than brake fluid and will pass the threads and make it look like you have air in the line. Hence, put grease around the bleeder screw to dam the leakage like the little boy with his thumb in the ****.

Trying to use a Mity-Vac on a speed bleeder is counter productive. Just use the levers and brake pedal to provide pressure to pass fluid through the system.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Im Back,
So I started with the rear screw, removed it got the little boy from the what ever to un stuck his thumb and help me put grease on the threads. Re-installed the bleeder screw and then re- connected the fresh cut end of the plastic tubing. Checked the reservoir for fluid then pumped up the hand vac to -15 Lbs and cracked the bleeder. A stream of tinny bubbles came through followed by and inch or so of fluid. I tightened the bleeder.
I repeated this on the front left and then pumped the rear break peddle. At first it was soft but after several more pumps which allowed the brake pads to close the gap to the rotor it got hard. I did the same with the hand break.
Huston control…… Tranquility base here……… We got brakes!!!!!!!
As to your statement that the hand vac is counterproductive, I respectfully disagree. To each his or her own and whatever works for you the best is the way you should go. As they say there is more than one way to skin a cat. (No offense to cat lovers.) I found that it worked perfectly for me after I learned the grease trick.
As far as the bleeder screws being interchangeable front to back. My wing which is a 2000 SE, 1500.
The front screw nut portion of the bleeder takes a larger wrench then the rear bleeder nut, in other words I need two different size wrenches. Now that may be due to one of the previous owners having for whatever reason changed the bleeder screws out from the OEM and different Manufacturers were used. I don’t have enough experience with working with breaks to know if the nut portion comes in different sizes based on who manufactures it while the internal threads remain the same through out.
Regardless I’m back in business with my breaks, now on to the next job changing out the leaking water pump.
Ill let everyone know how that goes. thanks again to everyone who chimed in was great talking to every one Happy new year guys.
Stan.....In Orlando.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:34 pm

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

I assume that you were able to identify the speed bleeder because of the design of the nipple. It has a sleeve in it rather than a machined surface.

I say that it is counter productive to use a Mity-Vac because the reason for the speed bleeders, for me anyway, is so you do not have to use a Mity-Vac.

The integral check valve prevents back flow of air or anything else external to the bleed screw and it makes it easy to do a one person bleed of the system. You just have to open the valve, attach a hose, fill the reservoir and pump out the old fluid. When done, just close the valve and remove the hose. Of course, if anyone would rather use the Mity-Vac and bother with the subsequent clean up, then more power to them.

By the way, the size of the wrench needed to turn the bleed valve is inconsequential. The threads in the calipers and the clutch slave cylinder pipe are 8 x 1.25 mm straight threads. One more thing, although the threads are the same for the clutch pipe, the bleed screw has to be longer than the ones used in the calipers. The female thread of the pipe is deeper than the the threaded ports in the calipers.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 am

Hi mike and thanks for your reply,
I’m always learning something new or try to anyway. The info on the wrench sizes and the clutch verses the calipers was informative something to put in my notes. It will also provide good info for someone down the road when they research this topic and discover someone has been in their shoes before with similar questions.
Well the new water pump is in, it went in faster and easier than I expected, I don’t think the one I took out was an original the wye hose looked to new to be original, the old pump’s internal rim gasket gave up the ghost, that’s where my leake was coming from. So rather then fiddle with it I replaced it not having any records as to when it was replaced last.
The old girl just turned 165139 I got it 3 years ago used as a wedding present and I have been replacing stuff like bearings breaks, coolant flush, and Tupperware odds and ends. I have been going through the How to list in the 1500 series fixing upgrading that kind of thing. I started adding LED strips to the running lights, we look like a UFO coming down the road.
We love our wing and look forward to getting it back on the road. I haven’t been able to ride it much in the last year due to my health but I’m back in the game and we are just about ready to ride again.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:08 am

Glad you got her done. Yeah, the grease helps to seal the threads.
Slow pumps of brake pedals or levers are better until full pedal or lever is reached.

I've used speed bleeders, they work really well …. new. I have some hanging up unopened still, but if moisture gets in past the rubber cap you put on them (or if the cap fell off), something in there rusts or fails, I suspect the spring. If I'm going to have to fight that or replace a bleeder, I'll just do it with regular ones. I learned long ago on a 1500 rear brake pedal to bleed.
  • rear
    then front left
    then rear
    then repeat as needed.
I use several methods depending on mood & help.
  • pump, hold, release, repeat
    Mighty Vac
    Pneumatic bleeder (great for complete change on 4 wheelers, uses upside down bottle to maintain supply at MC)
    Pressure bleeder (I made mine using garden sprayer & MC adapters).
Bleeding is never fun … but it has it's rewards.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53326

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)