Is this normal???

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
WingNoob
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2007 KLR650

Is this normal???

Post by WingNoob »

Hello all,

I've been looking at getting a GL1500 for an extended trip this summer and so far this site has been incredibly useful for researching what to look for in a Wing and what's involved with servicing.

I went to look at a 2000 SE today. 180,000km (about 112,000 freedom units). For a 20 year old bike with that mileage it appears to be in surprisingly good shape with very few modifications and everything worked on the test drive. The one sticking point for me is that the bike is at a dealer and they don't have any service history for it. I intend to do a full service on whatever bike I get, including timing belts, all fluids and filters, etc, so this lack of history is not necessarily a deal-breaker but it does give me pause, especially as I intend to sell the bike after the trip and a lack of history might make that harder to do.

My test ride was cut short by snow today, but I didn't notice any oddities when shifting, accelerating, coasting or breaking. The one thing that did stick out to me was that 5th gear has a bit of a different sound than the other gears. Not grindy or whiny, just sort of louder with maybe a bit of a whirring noise.

Is it normal that 5th gear sounds a bit different? I've reviewed several videos that show testing the transmission on an incline so I'm familiar with that particular 'gravel in the gearbox' sound. This isn't that sound. Maybe it's a precursor??

Thanks for your input

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Is this normal???

Post by CrystalPistol »

In 5th I sometimes hear a higher pitch … but It's very subtle. I think it's simply because in 5th, the gear train in the transmission is overdriven, meaning it spins faster that engine RPM … kind of like a quiet song.

2000 puts it on the later improved side of transmission & clutch changes started with the 1997.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

WingNoob
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2007 KLR650

Post by WingNoob »

Hey, thanks for chiming in.

Yeah, I'd say that sounds about right. The reality is I'm not used to being able to hear things like the transmission when I'm riding. My usual ride is a KLR650 where the knobby tires drown out most of the mechanical noises. Coming from that, man is the wing ever silky smooth. :D

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Welcome to the forum WingNoob

Check the tires. If they are cupped(run your hand backwards over the tread) they will make more noise with the faster you go especially when leaning. That could be your 5th gear sound difference. Very rare of a 2000 having transmission problems, but is possible if short shifting or a heel/toe shifter is on the bike.
How's the oil look? Did you pull the dipstick out and check it?

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

My bad, Welcome WingNoob!

I meant to say besides it being on the newer side of 1997 when so many small improvements were included, 112,xxx "freedom units" is not high mileage in the world of Gold Wings. I know of many far in excess of that. If not done, look at timing belts (Gates T-275) … they'll sing if too tight, and flap if too loose.

You spend a few weeks and a long trip with it, you'll re-think selling it.
newday777 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:35 am
Welcome to the forum WingNoob

Check the tires. If they are cupped(run your hand backwards over the tread) they will make more noise with the faster you go especially when leaning. That could be your 5th gear sound difference. Very rare of a 2000 having transmission problems, but is possible if short shifting or a heel/toe shifter is on the bike.
How's the oil look? Did you pull the dipstick out and check it?
I had forgotten … like you say about tires. I ran through two different Bridgestone rear tires on my 1200 that once wore in, would sing on high speed (65 mph) sweeping turns on smooth interstate highway, engine noise covered it up if in 4th or lower or maybe just concentrating on upcoming gear change? They were those dual rubber tires, S27 or something like that?
I also started running Delo 400LE 15W40 in it, it was quiet & shifted great. Before I sold the bike, I stocked up on a great sale, have about 16 gallon jugs of it.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)