Darkside: No Taxi Tire...now what?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki w650, 1994 Yamaha TW200, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1972 Bultaco Alpina, My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Re: Darkside: No Taxi Tire...now what?

Post by Ravyn »

Ravyn wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:56 pm
Jetfighter3 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:49 pm Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. I miss read your post. I and many others have ask the question, what brand, size and how well it worked out and it's difficult to get some people to give you a direct answer. It's like they don't want to give out a well guarded secret.? With that being said, Thank you, and again I apologize.
I have the vitour tire sitting in the garage right now. I will not be home until Friday evening. I will try to start installing it over the weekend however if the weather is really nice I may go for a ride instead. Lol...... But I will report back here as soon as I have it installed and let you know how it fits. Right now there is a federal lvr 175x75x16 installed on it. And that one fit perfectly, but they are not available anymore or at least I couldn't find one.
So sorry for not being able to get back to you guys sooner but there were some pretty serious family medical issues to take care of. I now have the tire mounted and the bike is back together and I am going to take it for a ride today. The tire fit perfectly, it is narrower than the tire I had on it. But it is also about one and a half inches bigger around so that equates to 3/4 of an inch taller. I'm going to go find some bumpy roads and potholes to make sure it doesn't a rub at the top.

LaclaMoe
Motorcycle: 2000 SE 1500

Post by LaclaMoe »

-(equates to 3/4 of an inch taller)
Thanks for measuring. I’ll have to go the 195 route
I’d rather be lucky than smart
Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki w650, 1994 Yamaha TW200, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1972 Bultaco Alpina, My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn »

LaclaMoe wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:21 pm -(equates to 3/4 of an inch taller)
Thanks for measuring. I’ll have to go the 195 route
I don't know about you but I could not get a 185/75 to fit without rubbing on the swing arm so I don't know how you are going to get a 195 in there.

I took the wing for a ride yesterday with the new Vitour tire and all went well. No rubbing anywhere. I was also able to install the tire and rim fully inflated. I have the progressive adjustable air shocks on my bike and I let the pressure down to 20 psi to see if the top of the tire would hit the underside of the inner fender. No problems at all.
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

I have a 195/60 on. Did have a touch of Tupperware interference solved with a heat gun but no swingarm interference.
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Ravyn

Post by Ravyn »

Sassy wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:20 pm I have a 195/60 on. Did have a touch of Tupperware interference solved with a heat gun but no swingarm interference.
I have heard others say they have a 195 on there 1500 but there was no way I could even come close to using a 185. It was so tight up against the swing arm you could not turn the wheel. I wonder if it was just the brand of tire ??
LaclaMoe
Motorcycle: 2000 SE 1500

Post by LaclaMoe »

Seems like some 195’s fit, some don’t.
Diameter expands and sidewall narrows with pressure enough that some fit or installer has the right technique. Someone installed a 6 ply 195/65 so it must be possible.
Need more info from someone who’s done 195/65 as that’s the right size. I don’t want to go taller or smaller.
I’d rather be lucky than smart
GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 w/trailer
2017 Zero DS 7.2* (daily)
2019 GL1800 DCT Tour

Post by GoldWingRev »

Wingsconsin wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:38 pm
brettchallenger wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:39 am
Interesting ... What say you Sire ? aka King Brett.
This, or something similar is all I was asking for. However, the document is 11 years old and presumably relates to a machine no longer owned by 5m0k3y, judging by his list of current motorcycles. If you wish, I will draft a letter for you to send to your own insurance provider so you too may bathe in the warm comfort of knowing you are in fact fully insured. Or, a more likely scenario, be informed that as you have modified your motorcycle using critical parts not designed to fit on a motorcycle, that your insurance is in fact void.

PS, the correct form of address to a king is "Your Majesty" and not "sire". Personally I prefer, "His Imperial Majesty" - sort of trips off the tongue. I do very much hope that you are standing upright as you type.
Once again you are WRONG -
I do not run a car tire on my Goldwing - Not because of some fear of being uninsured -
Just because I didn't like the way it felt -
After a 30,000 mile test ride I decided that it wasn't for me and returned to motorcycle tires -
I do not ride 2 up ; nor do I tow a trailer - In fact I travel rather lightly and typically further than many riders - however that is not the issue at hand here.

I defend those who DO ride a car tire because I tried it - and it worked -
Everything they say it does -- it does.
The nay-sayers are wrong but entitled to their opinions and fears - Just please do not spread mis-information about something which you know nothing.

You asked for proof from an insurance company and it was provided - Accept that gracefully your Imperial Majesty - :lol:

ps: I referenced you as "SIRE" as I can not think of you without the idea that you represent some part of a horse's anatomy - :o :shock:

I got my Austone from Wingsconsin. Rode it a long time before swapping it for an Exedra. Am switching back now with the new Wing. He said to check out my own info, and then let me try Darksiding out for myself. Gave up due to the lack of tires for the 1500 model, but with only one swingarm, I’m back.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins) 🐉
Jetfighter3
Motorcycle: 1993 gl 1500A aspencade

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Hi, I mounted my Vitour tire 3 weeks ago , fit perfectly. I'm using 50 PSI and running a Shinko SR 777 and I'm really liking it. I bought the tire here in Southern California got it in 4 days. I'll post where I bought it from tomorrow.
Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Found my invoice! I got the Vitour tire from Performance Plus Tire CTR 3910 Cherry. Long Beach California (562) 981-2689 . I hope this helps anyone who is interested. I'm going to post on the topic of carburetor rebuild and what I did making adjusting the airscrew's alot easier. And what to do if you are using those harbor freight gauges to balance your carbs , I'll do that over the weekend. I am not a pro, but I do like to try to find ways to make processes easier.
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

LaclaMoe wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pm Seems like some 195’s fit, some don’t.
Diameter expands and sidewall narrows with pressure enough that some fit or installer has the right technique. Someone installed a 6 ply 195/65 so it must be possible.
Need more info from someone who’s done 195/65 as that’s the right size. I don’t want to go taller or smaller.
I use this online tire size calculator. Shows a 195/60 snd a 195/65 to be the same width.

Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
Ravyn

Post by Ravyn »

Jetfighter3 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:36 pm Hi, I mounted my Vitour tire 3 weeks ago , fit perfectly. I'm using 50 PSI and running a Shinko SR 777 and I'm really liking it. I bought the tire here in Southern California got it in 4 days. I'll post where I bought it from tomorrow.
Hi Jeff, why in the world are you running so much air pressure in your Vitour car tire ??
Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Ravyn wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:20 pm
Jetfighter3 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:36 pm Hi, I mounted my Vitour tire 3 weeks ago , fit perfectly. I'm using 50 PSI and running a Shinko SR 777 and I'm really liking it. I bought the tire here in Southern California got it in 4 days. I'll post where I bought it from tomorrow.
Hi Jeff, why in the world are you running so much air pressure in your Vitour car tire ??
The tire has a 56 PSI max so when I mounted it I remembered there were post that I read how other people were running their pressure high. So just to start off I set mine to 6 under Max to see how it felt. I commute to work through the canyons and I'm happy with it . I may play around with the PSI later to see if I like it even better. If I do, I will post it.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A

Post by blupupher »

Car tires require different pressure to handle correctly.
I run 50 PSI in my Maxxis Taxi Tire. When I was running 42 psi, tire felt way too squirley. Max psi 54 on the sidewall.
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
Ravyn

Post by Ravyn »

blupupher wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:45 pm
I run 50 PSI in my Maxxis Taxi Tire. When I was running 42 psi, tire felt way too squirley. Max psi 54 on the sidewall.
I use the chalk line method of determining tire pressure and have been doing so for more years then you are old i'd bet.
I run 36 to 38 psi in my rear car tire as this gives me a straight across wear pattern. I start out high around 45 psi and keep dropping until i get the full width of the tire wearing off the chalk line. Has been working for me for years and I'd bet I carry more weight then you as I am running a 350 lb side car plus a passenger and gear. Running 50 psi and above is just plain ridiculous !! Unless you want to wear your tire out right down the center.
Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

How do you do the chalk line method? I'm not familiar with that.
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Chalk,, on a 2 wheel motorcycle?
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
jimm4
Motorcycle: 2003gl1800

Post by jimm4 »

Interesting Would like info on chaulk would try on my 1800 to see wear for air pressure been running 32 psi and just put new on 2000 miles ago
Ravyn

Post by Ravyn »

Sassy wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:39 pm Chalk,, on a 2 wheel motorcycle?
I posted about the chalk line some time ago so I will try to do it again.
Obviously it is a little more difficult on a two wheeler. I say chalk line but a paint pen in yellow makes for a more durable marking across the width of the tire. I used this method on my 1800 two wheeler when I still had it ,running a 195/?
Find a straight section of road around a quarter mile long or so. Start with your tire warmed up by riding a bit so it's up to operating temps.
Make sure you have more air pressure in the tire then you think is needed.
Now stop along side the road and put a straight line across the tire with your paint pen and let it dry, takes about 15 seconds.
Get back on the bike and move slowly out into the riding lane keeping the bike as straight up and down as possible. The paint pen line is tougher then a chalk line and will not wear so quickly. When you think you have gone far enough then stop as straight upright as you can. Roll the bike so you can see the paint line at the back of the bike. If you had to much air in the tire then it should be worn off more in the center of the tire. I like to let out 2lbs at a time and then repeat until you see it wearing off from one edge to the other. Check you air pressure, whatever it's at is your hot tire riding air pressure. Lets just say it came out to 40 psi. Leave it at that and be happy. Now go home and put your bike to sleep for the night. In the morning before you ride check your air pressure. That is your cold tire pressure setting from now on. Lets say it's 36psi. So when you check your tire pressure and it's at 36psi that should get you up to your 40 psi hot tire riding pressure . Now those figures will obviously be a bit different depending on how cold it gets at night and how hot it gets during the day. But it will be close enough. I have an advantage when doing this as I am driving a side car rig but as I said I did this on my two wheeler. You just have to take your time until you are satisfied. Nothing is chiseled in cement here but will get you really close so hopefully your tire will last a bit longer. When my rig is fully loaded and with a passenger and pulling an old kwick kamp canvas tent trailer loaded to the hilt my total weight is 2,100 lbs and my tire pressure is 38 psi hot. A tip you can use is put the paint line across from the valve stem. That way you can make your adjustments without moving the bike again to find the valve stem.
I hope this helps. :P
Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Good information, I will do that this weekend, Thank you!
blupupher

Post by blupupher »

Ravyn wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:59 pm
blupupher wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:45 pm

I use the chalk line method of determining tire pressure and have been doing so for more years then you are old i'd bet.
I run 36 to 38 psi in my rear car tire as this gives me a straight across wear pattern. I start out high around 45 psi and keep dropping until i get the full width of the tire wearing off the chalk line. Has been working for me for years and I'd bet I carry more weight then you as I am running a 350 lb side car plus a passenger and gear. Running 50 psi and above is just plain ridiculous !! Unless you want to wear your tire out right down the center.
I am more concerned about handling than wear.
Running 50 PSI is not ridiculous. It is within the pressure ratings of the tire and allows the tire to handle properly, and yes, just like a motorcycle tire, the center will probably wear faster than the edges, but will still be 20,000+ miles.

You have a side car, so running 38 PSI for you works since you never have to lean.
While I did not do 2 psi increments when adjusting pressure, I started at 40 psi and went to 44 psi, and still handled horribly while cornering, especially if I hit a bump, so I just went to 50 PSI, and it handles normally. So for me, that is what I run at.
Sure I could try 46 and 48 PSI, but I am not going to worry about 2-4 PSI difference.
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

I had the same experience as "blupupher".
Only I started at the tires rated 44max psi and went to 50 psi to take out some of the sidewall flex in corners.
The tire has rounded nicely, coming up on 10,000klms so far.
I plan on changing to a run flat over the coming winter. With its stiffer sidewalls I should be able to stay closer to the tires recommended tire pressures.
Ravyn, thanks for the idea, I try that on ths runflat.
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
shmerick
Motorcycle: The Bermuda Pearl '94 GL1500 SE, r1200GS , DR350se, 3rd Gen Magna

Post by shmerick »

Re: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 175/60-16
Personal feedback on the Assurance Fuel Max: I would not recommend. Mounted and installed on a '95 1500 with new wheel bearings and using ceramic balance beads, riding with a passenger and no luggage both around town and on interstate. Tire pressure was set at 46psi.

I found the feel of the tire to be less than confidence inspiring - felt squirmy at all speeds, side-wall appeared to be significantly "pinched" when on the side stand with a 145 lbs. passenger on the bike. The center stand scraped multiple times in mild cornering at 35-40mph.

Most notably the rear end seemed to track on it's own path independent of the front tire and the rest of the bike in any turn from 1-45 mph - akin to driving a pontoon boat in muddy waters. It was the most uncomfortable I have been on any of the 43 previous motorcycles I've owned. I only put a total of 17 miles on the tire before I removed it again and sold it for a substantial discount.

I'm certain I'm about to be told I should have ridden it for 100 miles, or changed the air pressure, or rubbed it with magic bean oil or some other such seemingly helpful advice; I was so uncomfortable with the feedback from the tire that I was concerned I would have an accident before I "got used" to the feel of the bike with this particular tire.

I am now quite happily back on a cheap Kenda Kruz for the next 12000 miles or so.
blupupher

Post by blupupher »

shmerick wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:24 am Re: Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 175/60-16
Personal feedback on the Assurance Fuel Max: I would not recommend. Mounted and installed on a '95 1500 with new wheel bearings and using ceramic balance beads, riding with a passenger and no luggage both around town and on interstate. Tire pressure was set at 46psi.

I found the feel of the tire to be less than confidence inspiring - felt squirmy at all speeds, side-wall appeared to be significantly "pinched" when on the side stand with a 145 lbs. passenger on the bike. The center stand scraped multiple times in mild cornering at 35-40mph.

Most notably the rear end seemed to track on it's own path independent of the front tire and the rest of the bike in any turn from 1-45 mph - akin to driving a pontoon boat in muddy waters. It was the most uncomfortable I have been on any of the 43 previous motorcycles I've owned. I only put a total of 17 miles on the tire before I removed it again and sold it for a substantial discount.

I'm certain I'm about to be told I should have ridden it for 100 miles, or changed the air pressure, or rubbed it with magic bean oil or some other such seemingly helpful advice; I was so uncomfortable with the feedback from the tire that I was concerned I would have an accident before I "got used" to the feel of the bike with this particular tire.

I am now quite happily back on a cheap Kenda Kruz for the next 12000 miles or so.
There is a reason you don't see anyone running or recommending that tire, it is not a good choice.

Very soft sidewall with a low max PSI gives you exactly what you described.
Yes increasing the PSI probably would have helped, but you would be running a higher than safe max PSI (and yes, I understand the irony of saying this when talking about running a car tire on a motorcycle). I would not run a tire above max listed PSI.

This is why you see many of the same tires recommended over and over, because they are built different and can handle the stresses from a motorcycle.
They tend to have stiffer sidewalls (run flat tires, winter tires, the taxi tires) and have a higher PSI rating.
What you describe is some of how I felt when I put my Maxxis taxi tire on at 42 PSI.
Once I went to 50 psi (sidewall rating is 54 or 55 PSI), it felt almost the same as the Dunlop Elite 4 with 11,000 miles I had taken off.
Going to a car tire does give you a different feeling ride, but should not feel unsafe. I can't fault you for changing it back.
You ride what you feel is safe. You tried it, did not like it, so went back to a motorcycle tire.
I would say a better tire choice would probably given you more confidence, but sounds like you are pretty happy with the Kenda Kruz (I am double darkside and have a Kenda Kruze K671 rear tire on the front right now that I am having major cupping issues that started around 2,000 miles and am about to change it with 4,000 miles).
Darksiding is not for everyone, and is very tire dependent.
2002 Goldwing GL1800A
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Been chasing an electrical problem and dropped a socket, retrieving it required removing battery and battery box.
Seen how close the 195/60 is to the trailing arm so grabbed a couple pics.
Pics are taken from where the battery would be.
My Ford Focus runs 205-55-16s,,, I wonder,,,,?

Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
erkmann
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Audio/Comfort

Post by erkmann »

I started this thread a looong time ago when I could no longer purchase a Taxi Tire and ended up with a 175R16 Maxxis Blackwall. Now....20,000 miles and two years later I'm down to the center wear-bars and Universal Vintage Tire Company says the Maxxis Blackwall is on backorder. Wuuuuut?? Might have to change the thread title to 'Darkside: No Maxxis Blackwall...now what?' Based on forum's collective wisdom I've ordered the Vitour 175R16 from Performance Plus Tire & Auto. I described my vehicle as 2022 'Custom', PayPal'd the $99 and so far so good. If they ask me what it's really for I'll tell them its for a custom-made wheelbarrow!

Last edited by erkmann on Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.