Starter Solenoid stuck on

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Starter Solenoid stuck on

Post by agedbikeman »

Last week I left home and procceded down a motorway to get my ferry to England, I stopped at the toll booth to pay my motorway toll, switched off the engine . On turning on the ignition I found the whole bike was DEAD, not o glimmer of life anywhere, no choice, phone my breakdown service, on arrival he said lets begin with a jumpstart. On connecting his jump start pack before I had a chance to even turn the key, it turned over and started, now I'm confused. Pulled it up on his truck and took me and it home, missed my boat, didn't get to England.
At home I discovered the starter solenoid had jammed shut, now it all made sense, I had ridden 30km with the starter motor spinning, lucky it didn't ruin the starter motor or alternator, battery was dead flat, not a volt in sight. Never heard of a solenoid doing that before, but later read in these pages that it's quite common.
If only I'd known the solenoid was stuck before it drained the battery and caused this problem.
I know it like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted, but I now have a red led on the dashboard connected across the starter motor and lights up anytime a voltage is applied to it.
Now light on when I'm riding = solenoid stuck, advance warning.
For 5 dollars on ebay, I may aswell change solenoid every year.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Starter Solenoid stuck on

Post by WingAdmin »

agedbikeman wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:54 pm
Last week I left home and procceded down a motorway to get my ferry to England, I stopped at the toll booth to pay my motorway toll, switched off the engine . On turning on the ignition I found the whole bike was DEAD, not o glimmer of life anywhere, no choice, phone my breakdown service, on arrival he said lets begin with a jumpstart. On connecting his jump start pack before I had a chance to even turn the key, it turned over and started, now I'm confused. Pulled it up on his truck and took me and it home, missed my boat, didn't get to England.
At home I discovered the starter solenoid had jammed shut, now it all made sense, I had ridden 30km with the starter motor spinning, lucky it didn't ruin the starter motor or alternator, battery was dead flat, not a volt in sight. Never heard of a solenoid doing that before, but later read in these pages that it's quite common.
If only I'd known the solenoid was stuck before it drained the battery and caused this problem.
I know it like locking the stable door after the horse has bolted, but I now have a red led on the dashboard connected across the starter motor and lights up anytime a voltage is applied to it.
For 5 dollars on ebay, I may aswell change solenoid every year.
As I was reading this, I thought, "hm, wonder if it might be a good idea to put a little LED that shows when the starter is running?" And then...as I read further, I discovered that you had done just that! Good job! :)

WvChamp
Motorcycle: 08 Honda XR650L
96 Honda GL1500SE

Post by WvChamp »

When my 96 SE was new to me....I experienced basically the same situation.
Found that my Starter Button was sticking in the Start position (stuck in).....Starter kept running.
Pulled out on the button and it quit. Repeatable.
Went to the "How To" section...
Disassembled....Cleaned and properly lubricated all the control buttons n switches.
Has worked flawlessly since.
Thanks for the "How to" section everyone.

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Post by agedbikeman »

Starter button, Solenoid,I feel that these problems are inherent because of the electric reverse, you would never normally hols a starter button in for up to a minute, I dread to think of the heat inside the solenoid after reversing up a slight incline, but saying that there must have been minimum 1 million gold wings produced with this system..

Your stuck button was the case with all my handlebar buttons, fortunately they are all easily (well for me anyway) dismantleable and cleanable more than just spraying some juice or other in.
I agree with you, thanks to everyone on all the pages of this fine forum. : :D
Enjoy.

Alex

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

agedbikeman wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:54 pm
For 5 dollars on ebay, I may as well change solenoid every year.
Maybe not a whole 30km, just until the battery was depleted from running a starter and not getting a charge. If it ever happened again, you know you could get a jump, let bike start, and disconnect jump … & ride home as long as you don't kill it. When that solenoid stuck, it left battery hooked to starter, but disconnected it from the remainder of bike's electrical systems, the alternator was powering ignition, lights, etc then. Interesting and calming at the same time.

I have some odd red and amber small LEDs, gonna wire one across the starter I am. I like that.
agedbikeman wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 am
Starter button, Solenoid, I feel that these problems are inherent because of the electric reverse, you would never normally hold a starter button in for up to a minute, I dread to think of the heat inside the solenoid after reversing up a slight incline, but saying that there must have been minimum 1 million gold wings produced with this system..

Your stuck button was the case with all my handlebar buttons, fortunately they are all easily (well for me anyway) dismantleable and cleanable more than just spraying some juice or other in.
I agree with you, thanks to everyone on all the pages of this fine forum. : :D
Enjoy.

Alex
Good points.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)