Oops, this one went way too far!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Oops, this one went way too far!

Post by Swagonmaster » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:46 am

In the process of changing my cupped front tire l of course checked the rear and found a tire that should never have gone this far. I thought that I was keeping an eye on it but NOT. The rear is rather hidden so check it again if you haven't looked at like last week or so. They can get past you too easily! Btw, it's an E3 with 14k on it.

Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Oops, this one went way too far!

Post by joeincalif » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:47 am

stuff happens. A few years back a riding buddy told me on his way home from a ride he noticed his 05 wing was getting a wobble. I said he probably lost a wheel weight and I would come over and check it out. As I approached his garage and his bike was on the centerstand I noticed a bald spot on the rear tire. He said he checked recently but I guess he didn't spin it and check the entire tire.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

hondapotamus
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A Goldwing

Post by hondapotamus » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:39 pm

I knew that I went too far when my buddy behind me told me I was throwing sparks in the curves.... The tire was well past the wear bars... and into the steel belts :roll: Made it home though I took it easy.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way!
IBA 37676

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:01 am

Good reminder. I probably do not check often enough, and I have to admit, I know better. I have had one rear blowout from when I was not checking enough, and that was 27 years ago. I usually watch my tires with an eye to what I am doing within the next three months, and if it doesn't look like the tread is adequate to the expectations, I put a new tire on. I throw away some good tread, but don't normally have to look for a tire in the middle of a trip.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:26 pm

I can recall some good times spent at GWWRA Rally time over at the tire venders, watching them replace badly balding rear tires on $10-$15,xxx Gold Wings owned by owners who carried co-riders and put new tire time off to save a few $$$ at a rally. It was fun to pick out the owner and strike up casual conversation, got good material for my safety talks as CE. :D

Back about 15 years ago, on way to coffee, following buddy up I-81, night, sparks coming off the road from both rear tires … looked like over towards inside of tires, he had an Impala, I was in my Crown Vic. I told him at coffee shop that his rear tires were shot, he said he just looked at them a few days earlier, said they were fine. I suggested he look at more than just the outside edge, he ran his hand up into fender …. OWE! …. break out first aid kit. :roll:

The FWD Impalas had "weak metal" according to the Chevrolet rep. my Captain talked to, and it let the rear wheels camber out with loads in policed cars. I told him that was why there was a then near new Mercury Grand Marquis in my driveway. He wanted me to willingly take an unmarked Impala, my next police car was a marked Ford CV. :D
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:02 am

Even if you regularly check your tires, keep in mind that the last 1/3 wears really, really quickly.

gford
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing SE

Post by gford » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:03 am

minimac wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:02 am
Even if you regularly check your tires, keep in mind that the last 1/3 wears really, really quickly.
How true, checked my front tire and it looked good, however half ways through a 2500 mile road trip the thing was shot. Tires sure seem to wear faster during the last 1/3 wear