Doug's Winter Maintenance Part 2

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 GL1500SE

Doug's Winter Maintenance Part 2

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Hello folks, it's been awhile since I've been able to do much to contribute to the group. Now that winter is almost over thought I'd take a moment to talk about the work I have been doing or still plan on doing to the Goldwing this winter.

It all started on a cold night in early January 2020, first project up was doing the clutch slave rebuild. Everything was going fine except for removing the oil seal that stays in the clutch cover. A $3.00 part but man its a beast to get out. Based on the advice of the group it was recommended to replace the oil seal when you have it apart so I ordered it in advance and I'm glad I did, the rubber was almost gone and what was left was falling apart. The best way to get the seal out is to wedge a flathead screw driver up in there and using the little U shaped recess as a fulcrum the screwdriver will push the seal out.

The last night of riding before I parked the bike for the winter, (mid-November) the engine was about to over heat. Was stuck in traffic and watched my temperature gauge climb quite quickly, decided to take side roads to avoid the traffic and low and behold the side roads had a freight train. Now the needle is almost in the "Danger Zone", I turned the engine off until traffic started moving. Luckily it was only 45 degrees, night time and a mild breeze so I was able to ease the bike home with out it actually over heating. Since it was closing in on the Holidays the Goldwing went untouched until early January.
Yesterday I took a look at the radiator fluid and it seems to have disappeared. No visible signs of a leak, going to get a pressure tester kit to see if there is a leak in the system. If not then will check for blockage(s), also confirm the fans turn on and then check the thermostat.

Need to get new tires put on the winter, and also plan on converting my cornering lights into manually operated lights, I installed LED cornering lights last winter so I should be good. Sometime over the summer the lights on my right saddlebag stopped working, need to track down the source of this electrical issue.
Attachments

This is how I got the oil seal out.
This is how I got the oil seal out.

This is while still trying to figure out how to get the seal out.
This is while still trying to figure out how to get the seal out.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Re: Doug's Winter Maintenance Part 2

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Got the rear tire off, and also rented a radiator pressure test kit from Auto Zone. Not sure if anyone has utilized their rental program, if you haven't I highly recommend checking into it if you know you are only going to use something once or twice. For $100, I was able to rent their Powerbuilt Radiator Testing kit. This kit has a bunch of different size adapters, and I'm pretty certain you can find one to match just about any radiator you need to work on. They even opened it up and let me check the fit on my radiator cap to see if they had an appropriate size adapter. You have 90 days to return the item, keep your receipt, to receive a full refund which is much better than the usual 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it or it doesn't work, plus no guilty feeling for returning the product after using it because you were renting.

After putting in about a quart and a half of radiator fluid I tried to start up the bike to get the fluid circulating and get any air bubbles out and she wouldn't fire up. Is there a safety feature built in to prevent starting when the rear end is tilted forward like I have it? I was hoping I could get the fluid circulating so I could get the engine up to temp and see if the fans would kick in so I would know if have an issue with the fans or the thermostat. Maybe I'll have to lower the back end down and have it supported by a jack stand and see if the bike will start up.

I still hooked up the pressure testing kit to the radiator cap and to the radiator system and tested the pressure. Both the cap and the cooling system held their pressure.

Thanks all and have an enjoyable week.

Doug
Attachments

I should have taken pictures of the complete kit, but oh well.
I should have taken pictures of the complete kit, but oh well.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Good winter project. The clutch slave is a "missed" maintenance item and after some 20 years or so, gets a bit gummy. Have done ones on 1200s and they looked like yours - one even worse.

The engine should start, no safety switch on the coolant side. The raising of the rear luggage shouldn't affect starting either.

Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:15 am
Good winter project. The clutch slave is a "missed" maintenance item and after some 20 years or so, gets a bit gummy. Have done ones on 1200s and they looked like yours - one even worse.

The engine should start, no safety switch on the coolant side. The raising of the rear luggage shouldn't affect starting either.

Good luck.
Yes mine was filled with peanut butter.

Well then this presents a new issue, pretty sure all the wires are connected properly and tightly and my battery was reading 12.47 volts before trying to start it. The battery had been disconnected for the last 7 weeks or so and I didn't have it hooked up to the battery tender but still in my opinion the 12.47 volts should be enough to get stuff cranking. Didn't hear any sounds and we even tried to jump across the starter relay and nothing occurred.

The only wires I touched were the negative side of the battery.

Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Lots of juice from the battery, started mine with 10.4 volts showing on the gauge. I'd take a multimeter and check for power at the starting solenoid, and starter. Is the bike inadvertently in gear - not quite in neutral? How bout the engine stop switch. Pull in the clutch lever? Check the side stand switch? Lots to look at, but probably something done while you have been working on it. BTDT got the T-shirt.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Quadrupled checked the engine stop switch, triple checked the bike was in neutral, and double checked the kick stand was up. There was no difference in behavior if the clutch was pulled in or out.

I have no real way right now to test if the bike is really in neutral since both wheels or off. But as mentioned even with the clutch pulled in there was no difference in behavior.

Hopefully it is something simple.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

1goldwingnut
Motorcycle: 95 20th anniversary GL1500A

Post by 1goldwingnut »

Neutral light work?. Is it on? It can be hard to find neutral with no tires and not moveable.

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

1goldwingnut wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:07 pm
Neutral light work?. Is it on? It can be hard to find neutral with no tires and not moveable.
Neutral light is on. I even changed gears to make it go off and come back on.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:59 am
After putting in about a quart and a half of radiator fluid I tried to start up the bike to get the fluid circulating and get any air bubbles out and she wouldn't fire up. Is there a safety feature built in to prevent starting when the rear end is tilted forward like I have it?
Bank Angle Sensor is mounted to the sub frame for the luggage and trunk - It thinks the bike is standing on its front wheel! :lol:

You can temporarily bypass it for testing.

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

DenverWinger wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:19 am
Bank Angle Sensor is mounted to the sub frame for the luggage and trunk - It thinks the bike is standing on its front wheel! :lol:

You can temporarily bypass it for testing.
Capture.JPG
[/quote]

Thank you DenverWinger :!: I was hoping the issue was something simple like this.

Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

DenverWinger wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:19 am
So after lowering my bike out of the tree it was parked in :lol: she fired right up.

I ran the bike until the engine heat built up and the fans kicked in, so I guess now it's investigating the thermostat.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Thank you WingAdmin for the mention in the monthly news letter! I must apologize for waiting so long to post, but dang were has this month gone.

My son and I finished swapping out the old chrome auxiliary lights to black LEDs, they look really good. I also converted the corning lights into full time running lights, swapped them out to LED lights last winter. I also got the new tires mounted and reinstalled; I went with the Avon Chrome Cobras from Cyclemax.

As luck would have it during my excitement to get the bike put back together I broke the front ride side lower caliper mounting bolt. :evil: I had the torque wrench set correctly but according to my son I was going to fast and not letting the torque wrench do it's job. Hopefully I can find a dealership/service department that is open in Illinois so I can get the part.

Can some one confirm the part I need is part #25 90105-MT8-000 based on www.hondapartshouse.com schematic for the front caliper.
Attachments

My son showing off the new lights
My son showing off the new lights

New rear tire
New rear tire

New front tire
New front tire

With old auxiliary lights
With old auxiliary lights

With new auxiliary lights
With new auxiliary lights

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:55 am
Thank you WingAdmin for the mention in the monthly news letter! I must apologize for waiting so long to post, but dang were has this month gone.

My son and I finished swapping out the old chrome auxiliary lights to black LEDs, they look really good. I also converted the corning lights into full time running lights, swapped them out to LED lights last winter. I also got the new tires mounted and reinstalled; I went with the Avon Chrome Cobras from Cyclemax.

As luck would have it during my excitement to get the bike put back together I broke the front ride side lower caliper mounting bolt. :evil: I had the torque wrench set correctly but according to my son I was going to fast and not letting the torque wrench do it's job. Hopefully I can find a dealership/service department that is open in Illinois so I can get the part.

Can some one confirm the part I need is part #25 90105-MT8-000 based on www.hondapartshouse.com schematic for the front caliper.
It depends on which bolt you're talking about. If it's the 6mm x 25mm bolt, it's 90105-MT8-000. If it's the 8mm x 36mm bolt, it's 90131-ML7-000. I suspect it's the one I highlighted below, in which case you are correct, it's 90105-MT8-000.

Lower Right Caliper bolt
Lower Right Caliper bolt

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:54 pm
DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:55 am

It depends on which bolt you're talking about. If it's the 6mm x 25mm bolt, it's 90105-MT8-000. If it's the 8mm x 36mm bolt, it's 90131-ML7-000. I suspect it's the one I highlighted below, in which case you are correct, it's 90105-MT8-000.

Bolt.GIF
Yes it is the smaller lower bolt. Thanks for confirming the part number. Now I just need to find an open service department, or website.

But at least my Magna is fully functional, not that it will do me any good but if I need to run out for supplies and the weather is good I can ride it. :D
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

I just can’t buy a break. As some of you know I broke the front caliper lower mounting bolt, finally bit the bullet and ordered two of them for $3 a piece and paid $10 shipping. The parts came in and I reassembled the brakes and as I’m trying to but on the front rear fender cover o noticed the grommet on the right side is missing.

Any ideas on where I can get a replacement other than cyclemax or some other internet parts place. Guessing a Honda dealership would have one but I’m still waiting for the one in the area to call me about caliper bolt.

In additions after starting up the bike I noticed the rear wheel is spinning while in neutral. Is that a sign of a poor clutch slave rebuild?
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike »

Doug, Talk about when it rains it pours. Man it sure seems to be pouring on you. Hope you get it lined out.

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

TwoTone Trike wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:31 pm
Doug, Talk about when it rains it pours. Man it sure seems to be pouring on you. Hope you get it lined out.
And since I’m in the Chicago area we get snow on April 15th instead of rain. Oh well. I hope I get it fixed soon also. Maybe this weekend I can back the bike out of the garage and see if works as it should or if I feel any creeping.

Thanks - Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DenverWinger
Past rides

Post by DenverWinger »

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:06 pm
In additions after starting up the bike I noticed the rear wheel is spinning while in neutral. Is that a sign of a poor clutch slave rebuild?
Nothing to worry about here, this is normal. The clutch is engaged anyway unless you are pulling on the lever.

Even though the transmission is in neutral, there's lots of gears spinning on a stationary output shaft, even though these gears are dis-engaged from the fixed gears on the output shaft this tends to want to make the output shaft spin which results in the wheel turning if it's off the ground. You'll notice it takes little to no force to stop the spinning wheel with your hand, and once released it would start to spin again.

This effect is more pronounced when the oil is cold.

~Mark

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

DenverWinger wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:14 pm
DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:06 pm
Nothing to worry about here, this is normal. The clutch is engaged anyway unless you are pulling on the lever.

Even though the transmission is in neutral, there's lots of gears spinning on a stationary output shaft, even though these gears are dis-engaged from the fixed gears on the output shaft this tends to want to make the output shaft spin which results in the wheel turning if it's off the ground. You'll notice it takes little to no force to stop the spinning wheel with your hand, and once released it would start to spin again.

This effect is more pronounced when the oil is cold.
Thank you for this info!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Well this really sucks! My son says to me “Dad I’d really hate to say this about the Goldwing”. Which is usually code for some kind of silly joke. Not this time.

For those of you that read my introductory post from a long time ago and or my winter maintenance part 1 post may recall I mentioned an intermittent coolant leak. Looks like this may have been the initial stages of the water pump starting to fail. Looks like the leak is coming from the weep hole.
Attachments

Tools stored under Goldwing due to lack of space. He needed them to work on his jeep
Tools stored under Goldwing due to lack of space. He needed them to work on his jeep

Looks like it’s time for a new water pump.
Looks like it’s time for a new water pump.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike »

Man that sucks. At least you found it before you took off riding. To have found it when you were broken down on the side of the road would really suck. Good luck. Seriously you could use some.

DenverWinger
Past rides

Post by DenverWinger »

Dunno, weep hole looks dry to me, those drips may be coming from elsewhere and running down the front of the pump.

My '93 leaks from unknown source if it's been sitting a long while, once warmed up good the leak stops and is not seen again (until next long nap).

Have you had yours out for a good run yet, or just run for brief moments in the garage? If it's assembled enough to be driveable, do about 10-20 miles around the neighborhood and see if still leaking after that....

~Mark

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

DenverWinger wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:34 am
Dunno, weep hole looks dry to me, those drips may be coming from elsewhere and running down the front of the pump.

My '93 leaks from unknown source if it's been sitting a long while, once warmed up good the leak stops and is not seen again (until next long nap).

Have you had yours out for a good run yet, or just run for brief moments in the garage? If it's assembled enough to be driveable, do about 10-20 miles around the neighborhood and see if still leaking after that....
Taking a closer look there is moisture by the weep hole, really appears as a very fine sheen of moisture almost like a condensation, looked all around the water pump and am not seeing other signs of a drip. It is drive able so maybe I’ll give it a good 10-20 mile drive.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Took it for a short drive and I’m thinking it’s the water pump. Started leaking right away.
Attachments

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DenverWinger
Past rides

Post by DenverWinger »