Starting gremlin.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
ba7
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 A

Starting gremlin.

Post by ba7 »

The bike 1988 gl1500 80000 maintained.... stopped starting intermitently and eventually completely. The last few times i could get it to go by rapping the secondary silenoid while pushing tha start button. Replaced the silenoid. I used the troubleshooting manual. All i get is the clicks as i should just nothing else. Took the starter out. Found the brushes clip were broken for the positive. Took them to the shop. They soldered them to a new metal clip. Then i changed both bearings at another shop. Put the bike back together. Bike still clicks like it should but no starting sounds. I have replaced solenoid, checked fuses and relays on both sides. Replaced battery. Checked on bank angle sensor. Sprayed contact cleaner on starter button and killswitch. All i can think of is armature and rotor inside the starter. How do i test this starter? I cant find a diy for this old starter that doesnt have a solenoid built into it like a car.

ba7

Re: Starting gremlin.

Post by ba7 »

Right now i suspect three things need revisited.
One. When i put the starter back together i probably didnt alternate the brushes. Given mine seems like an older design from the one Saunders made a video off. In his the design of the metal clip forces the brushes to be opposing eachother. While on mine the metal bracket and brushes comes to one side which made me believe they shouldnt alternate/oppose each other. It felt unnatural to my logic but natural to the design. Will update.

2... one of the ends is missing an oring the metal one.

3. Bad new secondary solenoid?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

'88 and '89 models use a two post starter, one for battery (+) via relay A and the other lead going to ground (-) via relay B. With all the hands involved in this starter I would have to assume someone did a simple bench test to see if it turned when connected to a 12V source?
Take a test light or meter and probe for voltage at relay A to right of battery. One large wire post should always show voltage, other large post to show voltage with starter button depressed. Probe the two starter terminal posts for voltage with starter button pushed, what results do you get?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

ba7

Post by ba7 »

Figured it out. +1 on not trusting cheap solenoid replacement. Now the bike is for sale. Salvage. Vandalized. Still runs.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

You got mad & kicked it over maybe? Whether anger … or if a criminal vandal, a shame as a 80,000 mile GL1500 is a young motorcycle.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

ba7

Post by ba7 »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:25 pm
You got mad & kicked it over maybe? Whether anger … or if a criminal vandal, a shame as a 80,000 mile GL1500 is a young motorcycle.
70 k really. I would never kick my baby. I mean i ride her like a lady of the night but treat her like a lady of the day.

Criminal. In medford oregon. Sometimes referred to as methford. I had left her at a shop and a miscommunication happened as to where to park. It is indeed sad. But on the flip side she is reliable and fun fun to ride still. Hopefully someone will be interested as i am reluctant to part her out in pieces and ebay it. I dont have steady internet where i live.