Timing belt replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Jrgarcia
Motorcycle: 1999 hondagoldwing aspencade

Timing belt replacement

Post by Jrgarcia »

Just replaced the timing belts on my 1999 gl1500 with 41k on the odometer, I did not want any problems because of the age. However after driving it on to the table and waiting till the next day, it will crank over but it will not start, please help john

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Timing belt replacement

Post by bluthundr31 »

Is it cranking over? Battery should be fully charged, , ,if "no load" voltage is below 11 volts, it might not start because the coils need a bunch of juice to fire it off.

Did you remove the plugs when your changed the timing belts? Were you careful to put the correct plug wires on the correct plug? It is easy to accidentally get the plug wires wrong.

Do you have spark at the plugs? The #6 plug (closest to the shifter) is the easiest plug to check because you only have one panel covering it.

Other issues could be the cause, but check these out first.

DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 GL1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 »

Some other simple things we have all forgotten, is the engine cut off switch in the Run position? Possibly bike is still in gear and clutch not pulled in. Bike needs to be in neutral to start.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

Jrgarcia
Motorcycle: 1999 hondagoldwing aspencade

Post by Jrgarcia »

Just found out what happened when my Goldwing would not start after replacing the timing belts, I bolted one of the impulse generators on backward and that is why it would not start. As soon as I removed the covers and read the resistance on both generators and found them both to be over 400 ohms, I found the generator on backward, would like to give my thanks to those who answered. Thank you again john

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

GOOD JOB!!!

Only thing left to do now , , , RIDE 'ER TIL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!!