I am now one of you...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
WingNoob
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2007 KLR650

I am now one of you...

Post by WingNoob »

Hello all,

I brought home my shiny new toy yesterday. '97 SE with 83,000 smiles. Cleanest 23 year old vehicle I've ever seen. This forum has been very helpful in my search. The guy I bought the bike from was convinced that I'd owned a 1500 in the past but nope, all I know I've learned here over the past 2 months.

We had a bit of a warm snap this weekend and I may have taken the bike for a rip up and down the street a few times (can't go any further as it doesn't have plates yet). Everything works great, except cruise won't engage. I've been reading some threads about possible cruise issues and I'm confident that I'll get it sorted in no time.

The only other hiccup is that it was originally a US bike, brought to Ontario about 20 years ago. So the speedo/Odo are in miles. I foresee that becoming a pain in the posterior. I've seen some speedos for sale on ebay for reasonable prices, but of course the mileages don't match up. I'll need to look into how to doctor the odometer on a GL1500 speedo unit (for legit purposes only, I swear :D ).

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all of the help.

Cheers,
Alan
Attachments

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: I am now one of you...

Post by CrystalPistol »

Welcome! :D

I know, this is a 1500 forum room, and I have a 1500, but the below pic is of a simple chart I made using a label maker that uses plastic tape after finding my 1200's speedo was OFF by a good deal, I used it for ovwer 20 years. Something like it would work for a visual conversion "mph vs kph". I know 62 mph is about 100 kph, the rest I can do "on the fly" if ever needed.
Attachments

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)