HEADLIGHT WATERPROOF BULB RUBBERS

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
BENJEE2112
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE ((Danggit))

HEADLIGHT WATERPROOF BULB RUBBERS

Post by BENJEE2112 »

Hi All. I just wanted to let you know about an order I just did with Partzilla. I ordered the headlight rubbers for my 95 1500i Part #33112-MAT-611 They don't work with my Type of headlight assembly. Mine are TAPERRED To a Larger area of the plastic case (see pics) I sent Partzilla a email Friday after hours. I got a response Saturday from them saying they are going to refund my card. Not to bother sending them back. I found the schematic on that tapered rubber. They are not available anymore. So I guess I'll just clean my damaged one up and 100% silicone the heck out of it. (after I install my new Pathfinders) My rewiring adventure seems to be successful. So I'll be getting the good bulbs next.

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: HEADLIGHT WATERPROOF BULB RUBBERS

Post by Sadanorakman »

BENJEE2112 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:26 am
So I guess I'll just clean my damaged one up and 100% silicone the heck out of it. (after I install my new Pathfinders)
Be careful what silicone you use. There's probably folk here with more knowledge than me that can clarify but in my experience...

Most silicone you get in DIY stores uses acetic acid in it to cure it (You can tell by the sour/acrid smell it gives off). I used this common type on an automotive light fitting once, and the fumes that off-gassed as it cured completely destroyed the metalised coating on the reflector, and it just ended up like white plastic. These acidic fumes attack copper wire and contacts too, corroding them badly.

I'm a lot more cautious these days, and would only use a neutral cure silicone sealant for this kind of job, or an advanced polymer type of sealant. I got a tube of sikaflex for use on my caravan (don't recall the exact type number), and I've never experienced such a tough, tenacious, hard-wearing sealant before; It truly sticks like **** to a blanket,and puts silicone to shame.
Every day's a school day....What have you learned today?

BENJEE2112
Motorcycle: 1995 1500i INTERSTATE
THE ONE STYLE "WITHOUT" REVERSE ((Danggit))

Re: HEADLIGHT WATERPROOF BULB RUBBERS

Post by BENJEE2112 »

Thanks Sadanorakman. Good to know. I haven't done it yet but I will be checking on that. When I do aluminum work (roofs) I use SOLAR SEAL. Don't know whats in it but does the same thing. Way better that any silicone.
SHINY SIDE UP!!!