Anyone know who can do brakes on a 99 Aspencade in Southern CA?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
zeoran
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A, 2002 Honda ST1100, 1982 Honda Interstate (sold)

Anyone know who can do brakes on a 99 Aspencade in Southern CA?

Post by zeoran »

I just bought a 99 Aspencade and it runs great but the brakes feel a bit mushy and it doesn't have the stopping power I'd expect. I've called my local shops but they all have told me that they don't work on bikes more than 10 years old. When it was my ST1100, I felt confident enough to handle the brakes myself, but the Goldwing is considerably more intimidating. I also don't have access to a lift, etc. nor even the proper space to lay the bike on its side. I'm a single parent in a tiny apartment sharing a garage.

Does anyone know of anyone (professional or personal) who could handle the job for me? I'd like to get an inspection first just to know what I'm looking at. I can acquire parts OK, I just need someone who can handle the labor part.

God bless,

~Mark

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Anyone know who can do brakes on a 99 Aspencade in Southern CA?

Post by Rambozo »

A lift is not required, nor tipping it. You just have to remove the left saddlebag and then the caliper is right there and easy to work on. Also be aware that the front brake lever only operates one disc, so it will feel underpowered coming from an ST.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

Since you just bought the bike, I suggest the first thing you do is CHANGE/BLEED front and rear brake fluid to see if the existing fluid is partially causing the mushy-ness. A bottle of DOT4 is far cheaper than paying someone and you can do it in a small(ish) area. Use of "speed-bleeders" is highly recommended for a one-person brake bleed and they're cheap as heck.

Is it possible to contact the previous owner to ask when the fluid and brakes were changed last? If not, that will be one of your first jobs, as long as its running well.

Timing belts are a good idea to change too, (unless the PO recently changed them), they're cheap and easily done in a small area. I changed my timing belts in a 4' X 8' covered area

zeoran
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500A, 2002 Honda ST1100, 1982 Honda Interstate (sold)

Post by zeoran »

Does anyone have a link on the actual PROCEDURE for bleeding the brakes on the GL1500?

I've searched this site and read lots of posts that cover pieces here and there and tips but not a full walkthrough and I don't have a service manual (yet)

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

There are dozens of videos on Youtube if you search "How to bleed brakes on GL1500". Watch a bunch of them to give you a decent idea of what is involved. Some are decent and some aren't.

Another source is;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29447
or even;
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/threads/g ... st-3151281

The front brakes on the GL1500 are split, ,the front right brake runs off the front brake lever, and the front left brake is linked with the rear brake pedal. When doing the front/rear combination, bleed the front brake first.

The "search" feature on this site is your friend, , , type a word/phrase and voila, there it is!!!

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

There are a lot of things that should be done to a bike that old. If you do not feel comfortable doing it find an independent shop. Maybe you can find a GWRRA chapter in your area an attend one of their meetings and see if they can suggest a shop in your area. The 1500 wings looks harder to work on than it is. You might take your time and try and do some of when you have some extra time.

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE