My First Mod. Tablet/GPS Mount

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
WingNoob
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE
2007 KLR650

My First Mod. Tablet/GPS Mount

Post by WingNoob »

My new to me 97 Wing seems to be pretty excellent, but it is a little dated in the electronics department. I wanted to mount my 7" tablet front and centre on the bike to act as a GPS and music player. I remembered reading a post on this forum where a member described his DIY mount, so I set out to replicate it for my Ram ball mount.

I removed the Goldwing logo from the central cockpit panel and cut a piece of 1/4" PVC sheet to fit over the raised bit on the plastic panel. I then cut a backing plate out of some scrap steel, to extend from one edge of the panel to the other. The gap between the underside of the PVC and the top of the backing plate turned out to be just a smidge over 3/16", so I cut a filler piece out of some 3/16 steel bar to fit in the hole where the Goldwing logo had been. The filler helps to prevent putting too much pressure on the molded plastic panel when the screws are tightened. A little piece of thin foam was added to keep the backing plate from scratching the plastic panel.

A quick spritz with some matte black for the steel bits and a quick hit with a round-over bit for the PVC, and it's good to go.

I'm using an X-Grip tablet holder on a 3" arm. Seems to be very stable and the panel doesn't really move at all when I yank on the tablet.

Next up, adding a USB power socket and audio jack plug to the inside of the left fairing pocket.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Re: My First Mod. Tablet/GPS Mount

Post by AZgl1800 »

good mod there, I also have the X-Grip
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Garyd
Motorcycle: 2000 gl1500se

Re: My First Mod. Tablet/GPS Mount

Post by Garyd »

Perfect timing. I was just looking at my (new to me) 2000 se trying to figure out where to mount my gps.
I've never had a bile with square handlebars. Next up is a cup holder.