Adjustable handlebar levers

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Adjustable handlebar levers

Post by agedbikeman »

For all you guys with small hands like me, I don't know what Honda were thinking of with such big levers, also if the makers in china of the 1800 adjustable levers would have added 10mm to the bit that operated the microswitches and included a shim on the brake lever, they'd have doubled their sales overnight for maybe 2 cents in outlay.

As you all know, there doesn't seem to be adjustable levers for the 1500, only the 1800.
The 1800 clutch lever goes straight in and works, the brake lever is about 2mm too thick to fit the space and the bit that works the cruise microswitch is 10mm too short.

I drilled a 2.5mm hole in the bottom of the brake lever stock and tapped a 3mm thread, made a small "L" bracket with a 3mm hole in the right place and screwed it to the lever stock

here it is with the bracket attached
here it is with the bracket attached

The place where the pencil is pointing you see is silvernot black as I had to cut a 2mm slice off with a small hacksaw oe it wouldn't go in
The place where the pencil is pointing you see is silvernot black as I had to cut a 2mm slice off with a small hacksaw oe it wouldn't go in

Bit difficult but ou can just see the bracket that pushes the cruise cancel switch
Bit difficult but ou can just see the bracket that pushes the cruise cancel switch

I road tested it and it works fine. The levers came from Ebay about $16 the pair and have 6 stage adjustments.
How I drilled the holes in the right place, I initially superglued the bracket to the lever stock knowing it would not last then drilled a 1mm pilot hole, as I was opening the hole to 2.5mm the glue gave out but that didn't matter as I had the perfectly aligned holes to finish the job with.

Alex

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Adjustable handlebar levers

Post by joeincalif »

Not sure about this but i saw on the INTERNET that the adjustable levers from an 1800 will work on a 1500. I saw it on the internet and do not have first hand knowledge about it.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

agedbikeman
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with Insta trike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Re: Adjustable handlebar levers

Post by agedbikeman »

They will work but your cruise contol will not, trust me I could see the CC cancel microswitch below the brake lever, it needs to be pushed in for the CC to operate, I have also read this in this forum and a few people have said "since I changed my levers CC does not work" , brake light will work ok as the plate just touches the switch.