BRAKE LIGHTS SUDDENLY HUNG ON ?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
sarge1952
Motorcycle: 1992 GL 1500 aspencade

BRAKE LIGHTS SUDDENLY HUNG ON ?

Post by sarge1952 »

It was such a beautiful day yesterday after bike being in the garage all winter tore down for one reason or another, I took it for a ride wife told me before I left the house I had 1 brake light out ? didn't think much of it as the rest were still working. I rode across town to make sure of the course I was taking for the future rides to work, I know the lights were working when i got to work because I seen the reflection in the window in front of my shop. On returning home I found a wire had broken in the turn / brake brake bulb housing so repaired it now none of my brake lights work and they are hung on ? Any ides why this could have happened ? :?: :?: :?:

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: BRAKE LIGHTS SUDDENLY HUNG ON ?

Post by Rambozo »

Sounds like you crossed the always on tail light wire to the brake circuit.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

The only difference is that you "fixed it'. Apparently, you didn't! :lol:

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

sarge1952 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:56 am
It was such a beautiful day yesterday after bike being in the garage all winter tore down for one reason or another, I took it for a ride wife told me before I left the house I had 1 brake light out ? didn't think much of it as the rest were still working. I rode across town to make sure of the course I was taking for the future rides to work, I know the lights were working when i got to work because I seen the reflection in the window in front of my shop. On returning home I found a wire had broken in the turn / brake brake bulb housing so repaired it now none of my brake lights work and they are hung on ? Any ides why this could have happened ? :?: :?: :?:
I know you know what you mean, but … ?

Were you trying to fix the one brake light that was out? Did you see brake lights activate in those reflections? All that aside, I'd say you fixed it broke good, likely a wrong wire to wrong terminal in that socket.

Wire colors would help.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

jtornese
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by jtornese »

The first time this happened to me I found it was the brake light activating switch near the foot pedal. I cleaned it with some brake clean, then a little wd40 to free it up, and then re-adjusted it to work properly. (there is a little knurled wheel that turns either direction, to get the lights on when activated by the pedal, but still go off when the pedal is not being applied). About a year later it happened again, but I determined it wasnʻt the foot pedal switch, but this time the handbrake light activating switch. This time I had to replace the switch to solve the problem. so I would look at these actuator switches to solve your problem